Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron 1501 running VERY SLOW

Dell inspiron slow

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have a lot of toolbars running on chrome?

Advertisements

pen_nomad

pen_nomad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

No, I don't do 'toolbars'  :prop:

Yes TFC does seem to have improved the speed slightly and it is not freezing as often and

Programmes seem to be opening slightly faster. 

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenShot012.jpg

Edited by pen_nomad, 13 July 2014 - 11:47 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK even though you said you have defragged the system before I would like you to do the following.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

• It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
    It will actually show you what it is doing
    At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
    You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.
http://auslogics.com...defrag/download

pen_nomad

pen_nomad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

OK

Running Now

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenShot002.jpg

pen_nomad

pen_nomad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

DONE 

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenShot007.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Any improvement in response time now?

pen_nomad

pen_nomad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

YES  :yeah:

It does seem a bit more responsive.

Still struggles with right click list and it freezes for a shorter time ...

Many Thanks , at least it has become usable again :-)

will let you know more later when I have had a a chance to run it a bit  :spoton:

Edited by pen_nomad, 15 July 2014 - 06:42 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK going to back track a little. Did you uninstall AVG and install a different AV program like MSE or Avast?
Do you download a lot from P2P sites?

pen_nomad

pen_nomad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi

I uninstalled AVG and let Adaware take over as Tech suggested, but can't seem to get it to start on startup. 

Yes I have Vuze P2P which I used to use for movies until I got bored with them. Now it is only used occasionally for small bits like the occasional e-book ect. for personal use.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK as I suspected and I am sure this is where your remaining slowdown is coming from. I believe you have a hidden infection that needs to be addressed by our malware team to clear up the remaining issue.

I will advise the malware techs of this topic and they will take the lead to clear out the rest. Be advised they will require any P2P program be uninstalled before they can assist.

I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Advertisements

pen_nomad

pen_nomad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

OK

Will Do

Many Thanks for all you help so far as it has improved my system.

Best Wishes

Pen

:wave:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you post the link to your malware topic I will follow it to see what they find.