Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

laptop just shuts down

• Please log in to reply

shannianni

shannianni

• PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

hi guys and gals

my daughter has a laptop running (XP.....I know), she tried to turn it on the other day, the power light comes on, the hd starts spinning and within 6-10 seconds it shuts off.

I have removed the power lead and held down the power button for 30 seconds, replaced the power lead and tried again but it still dows the same - shuts down.

the screen is still black at this time so I don't know whats wrong, she had no trouble before this happened, just turned it off tried the next day to turn on but nothing.

any ideas

many thanks in advance

Ian.

Advertisements

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

Did you remove the battery also when you help the power button down??Does the PC stay on long enough to boot into the BIOS??

Do you see any messages at the bottom of the screen like F2 Or F12??

When is the last time you cleaned the vents. Do you hear the fan spinning?

Edited by donetao, 10 July 2014 - 09:20 AM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

It's difficult to diagnose the specific problem from a distance but any one of these spring to mind:

Screen needs replacing.
Screen inverter board needs replacing.
Screen backlight needs replacing.
Graphics chip has failed.

Do you have another monitor you can hook up; like a flat screen TV?

Edited by donetao, 10 July 2014 - 09:34 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts

Not sure what the screen has to do with the laptop shutting down (powering off) after 6-10 seconds.

Check the vents, see if they are clogged. Is the fan turning (can you see or hear it).

Remove the battery. Remove the power lead. Press and hold the power button for 10 to 20 seconds.

Connect the power lead, do not put the battery back in. See what happens when you power up now.

If not different, remove all memory then try powering up. You should get some beeps.

Post results please.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

t

he screen is still black at this time so I don't know whats wrong, she had no trouble before this happened, just turned it off tried the next day to turn on but nothing.

The screen is still black???Not sure what the OP means by shuts down. Turns off or just has a black screen.

I have removed the power lead and held down the power button for 30 seconds, replaced the power lead and tried again but it still dows the same - shuts down.

Sorry I assumed OP was having a black screen of death. I guess they mean turns off. Will read more carefully next time!