Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building 1st comp, bios setup?

• Please log in to reply

smky143

smky143

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
So do I have to do any bios setup or any weird hard stuff when building a comp or is it just putting all the pieces together. I already have my hard drive with my os on it. Maybee I am just making this harder than it really is. Anyway thanks again for all the help, this forum is really helpfull.

Advertisements

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
When you assemble a computer, there will be instructions with your motherboard regarding any bios setup instructions.
Generally speaking, the computer will set it up automatically. And the only reason why you would want to go into bios is to set things up like time/date or special hardware you have. Also, the overclock settings are accessed through the bios.

You will have to go into the bios. You will have to setup the boot queu(what devices boot first). You will have to install the software for your hard drive (usu recommend use the driver disk that came with HDD, it is usually a boot disk that will alow you to install OS)
(note : if you don't know much about hardware DON'T OVERCLOCK or tinker with those settings. You can mess up your mobo, cpu and memory)

The bios is a tricky place, but unless u have some special circumstances, you will only have to do easy stuff. so whewww, thnx the heavens

However, there are some other things about putting together computers that can be difficult. I will just assume that you know how to connect everything, from the IDE cables to the HDD, CDROm, DVD, etc as well as the power cables to them. The floppy drive has a power cord as well, but it is a lot smaller than the other power cables that run to the HDD, etc. Also there is a smaller cable for the floppy (IDE)

I will give you some tips on putting together a computer. This is not a final or complete compendium by any means. Just some tips, assuming that you know what you are doing. If you do not know what you are doing, you can post here, or find a computer hardware guide online or somewhere on this website.

TIP #1: Just getting your computer starting and getting your OS installed.
Don't install extraneous devices. (E.G. if your motherboard has a sound card
and video card, USE THEM. Don't install separate devices for those functions.
That's not to say you can't use them. But it complicates matters some times
When you have to worry about those. Keep it simple until you know your
computer is working fine & you have your operating system installed.
TIP #2: Read instructions that come with motherboard. Don't take everything as
instructions, because sometimes it's just a detailed description of all the
interactions with the mobo (ie, write protection for cmos and bios)
Most times you don't need to do things like that, but it's nice to know if you
are having problems with getting your computer to start or errors you are
getting
TIP #3: *Make sure all hardware you get is compatible and RECOMMENDED. Just
because a CPU will fit into a MOBO doesn't mean it's the best mobo for that
CPU or vice versa. Oftentimes, choosing the right combination can be very
difficult, but often distributors or stores (e.g. Fry's) will bundle them
together. You can also find out compatibility by looking at this website.
Or goto to cnet.com or zdnet.com
* Another example of hardware being recommended is RAM memory.
You want to get RAM that runs at the same frequency as your bus speed
E.G., if you have a athlon that runs double speed, and the bus speed is
200 MHz, then the effective bus speed is 400 MHz. So you would want to
get memory that was rated to run at 400 MHz(which would also be 200
MHz because most memory is DDR (Double draw ram))
They would run at the same frequency, and transfer of data would be
synced.

SUMMARY: Basically, if you got all compatible parts, putting together a computer is fairly easy to learn. It is sometimes the l ittle problems or kinks that occasionally occur that can make it a challenging experience. If you find that your RAM doesn't match, if you just recently purchased it, you may bring it back and exchange for memory that matches your effective bus speed. To find out more about bus speeds search the forums here to find out.

Good luck. post more if have questions

smky143

smky143

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Wow thanks for the info