Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen after malware detection. Windows won't boot at all.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Abby Day

Abby Day

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi all,

I have a Toshiba notebook, with Windows 7 Home Basic x32 bit that I haven't used in a while. I recently installed Avast onto the computer whilst it was installing a few updates, and I got a window telling me that some malware had been detected. Before I could do anything about it, the computer re-started automatically. Once it re-started, it tried to load Windows then flashed to a blue screen with some writing on it (too fast for me to catch what was written on it), then promptly went to startup repair. It then just opened up to a black screen with a cursor I can move. I've tried everything on the recovery pane. Absolutely nothing works.

Can someone please help me? I've been searching the web for answers and I'm getting kind of desperate. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Hi and welcome.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

Plug the flash drive into the infected PC.

If you are using Vista or Windows 7 enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account an click Next.
  • Note: In case you can not enter System Recovery Options by using F8 method, you can use Windows installation disc, or make a repair disc. Any Windows installation disc or a repair disc made on another computer can be used.
To make a repair disk on Windows 7 consult: http://www.sevenforu...isc-create.html

To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:
  • Insert the installation disc.
  • Restart your computer.
  • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
  • Click Repair your computer.
  • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next.
  • On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

Startup Repair

System Restore

Windows Complete PC Restore

Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool

Command Prompt

Select Command Prompt

Once in the Command Prompt:
  • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
  • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
  • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type e:\frst (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

Abby Day

Abby Day

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi JSntgRvr,

Thank you for the welcome. Sorry for taking so long to reply. I've tried doing exactly what you've instructed, however I'm still unable to get the computer to do anything but what it was doing originally [no matter what option I try from the advanced boot options, it just tries to load, fails, then goes back to the 'Launch startup repair' screen followed by the black screen with moving cursor]. I've tried running from a repair disc because the option to repair my computer on my Toshiba doesn't work. It won't start up that way either. I set my BIOS to start up from cd/dvd, it asks me to press any key to continue, and when I do that there's a period in which Windows tries to load the files...and I'm back to that nightmarish black screen :bashhead: .I'm unable to get to the command prompt where I'll be able to run the Farbar Recovery Scan tool for you. Do you have another suggestion I might be able to try? I'm not sure how much of help this information is but before I could post my query on this website, whilst trying to boot from the advanced boot menu, I tried something that a technician said I could try. I used the safe mode with command prompt, typed in explorer and for a minute it actually looked like it was going to work, but it flashed that horrid blue screen again and went back to doing what it's been doing. Now when I try to start with that option again, it won't even get as far as the page where it prompts me for a command.

Edited by Abby Day, 15 July 2014 - 07:24 AM.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

Lets prepare a bootable CD with tools we can use. You will need a CD to burn and a flash drive to move information from the troubled computer to a working computer. It is the only way we can see the progress of our actions. Save these instructions in your flash drive as a text file (use notepad) so you can have access to these while in an external environment (PE).

Here is what you need to do.

• Download OTLPEStd.exe to your desktop. NOTE: This file is 93.5MB in size so it may take some time to download.
  • Once downloaded, insert a blank CD in your burner and click on OTLPEStd.exe.The executable includes the OTLPE_New_Std.iso and a copy of imgburn, a program to burn .iso files. When executed, the application will extract both and start the burning process automatically.
  • Once the CD is burned, boot the Non working computer using the boot CD you just created.
  • In order to do so, the computer must be set to boot from the CD first
    Note : For information click here
  • Your system should now display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start. Change the following settings
    • Change Drivers to All
    • Change Standard Registry to All
    • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in

netsvcs
      BASESERVICES
      /md5start
      services.*
      explorer.exe
      winlogon.exe
      Userinit.exe
      svchost.exe
      /md5stop

• Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved  in drive in the root directory of your hard drive, usually C:\.
  • Copy this file to your USB drive.
  • Please post the contents of this file in your reply.

Abby Day

Abby Day

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

At the risk of sounding stupid...after I double click the OTLPE icon, another window asking me to browse for a folder pops open, rather than what your second instruction said about being asked if I want to load remote registry. On it are the following:

My Computer

RAMDisk (B:)

Local Disk (C:)

TOSHIBA (D:)

Removable Disk (E:)

Data (F:)

ReatogoPE (X:)

Shared Documents

I clicked on the Toshiba (D:) and it said something about the version has to be Windows 2000 or later. I know I'm missing something obvious, but what that is....I don't know. Please bear with me.

Edited by Abby Day, 16 July 2014 - 12:35 PM.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

Select the Local Disk (C:), and browse to the Windows folder.

Abby Day

Abby Day

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I'm getting the following message when I try to access the C:/ drive:

C:/ is not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

Ok...where do I go from here?

Note: Everything is running super slow...it can sometimes take up to an hour for a selection I made to be highlighted.

Edited by Abby Day, 17 July 2014 - 06:17 AM.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

Does the computer has a Diagnostics option at startup (During the manufacturer's Logo)? If it does, select that option and check the disk and memory.

As an alternate to OTLPE, Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your USB drive.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

• Insert the USB drive in the ailing computer.
  • Boot to Reatogo.
  • Once on the Reatogo desktop, browse to your USB drive.
  • Double-click FRST to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

Abby Day

Abby Day

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi,

I've run the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and I believe it's supposed to automatically save a log of the scan on the same usb I'm using to run the application. I've run the tool 3 times already and there's no log on the flashdrive. Is there somewhere else that it could be saving it to?

Edited by Abby Day, 18 July 2014 - 03:32 PM.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

Are you sure you are using the right version? It must be FRST.exe 32bits.

Is there a Diagnostics option at the splash logo? If it does, select that option and check you hard drive and memory.

Abby Day

Abby Day

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I managed to get this (attached)...does it help? Sorry, I couldn't copy and paste. Something to do with security browser settings.

Attached Files

• Attached File  FRST.txt   3.08KB   299 downloads

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

Sorry, but it seems that the hard drive is having Read/Write issues and need to be replaced. 

If you have not backup your important documents, you may attempt to back these up either throughout Reatogo, if able to read the Local Disk, or Puppy Linux. For  Puppy Linux please read here.

There is nothing throughout software we can use to fix this problem.

Abby Day

Abby Day

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Thanks for all your patience and your help. Much appreciated. I'll look into having the hard drive replaced.