Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replace the logic board or buy a new laptop?

liquid damage MacBook Pro logic board advice

• Please log in to reply

knblank

knblank

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Friend spilled beer on my 2012 MacBook Pro and now it won't power on. There's liquid damage on the logic board and corrosion on metal pads.

Apple store says they can fix it for $755 + tax.

Question: should I get a 2-yr old laptop fixed or should I put that money toward a new computer? 

This computer still has ~400 days under warranty, so if I fix it and it has software issues, those should be cheap to fix. However, w/ the pace of tech development, maybe I should just go for newer. 

What would you do? If you would get it fixed, would you do it through Apple? If you would get a new computer, which would you recommend (doesn't have to be another Apple product)?

Any advice appreciated! Thanks!

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hi knblank and welcome to Geeks to Go! :D

I hope your friend at least paid for the beer! :lol:

Not much has changed in the last couple of years. Unless you need retina, and you'll pay quite a premium for it. Used ones will probably sell for more than $755, so I'd fix it.

There's also PLAN C. Buy a logic board off ebay or similar, get a 6-pack and replace it yourself. :)