Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8 ~ Boot Device Not Found [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi there,

I'm helping a friend with her Windows 8 x64 HP 2000-2b09WM Notebook. This laptop has been sitting idle for just around 7 weeks and when booted up for the first time it booted to a black screen with white lettering as follows:

Boot Device Not Found

Please install an operating system on your hard disk.

Hard Disk (3F0)

F2 Systems Diagnostics

Ran the onboard HP Pc diagnostics and both HDD and Mem test passed.

Windows 8 is not my best friend and I am not sure where to go from here. I did find a link on how to perform a system restore to an earlier time, which I will attempt now.

Could someone help guide me through this process and share your W8 experiences with me concerning this travesty.

I'd truly appreciate your time.

Thank you,
Donna :)

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Have you tried chkdsk from the recovery console at all ?

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Ah! My savior!! :hug:

Tapping F11 redirects me back to the screen above. Is that the only way to get to recovery.

How about FRST. Will that work on W8 so I can do a SR or chkdsk that way? I don't recall off the top of my head.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Yippee! It does!! I'll try that.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Use the command prompt on the recovery console may well fix it .. Use the /r switch

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
It refuses to boot to Safe Mode no matter what I do. Only thing I can do is navigate within the BIOS. Everything else takes me back to the Boot Device Not Found screen.

If I were to view the BIOS to see if the HHD is being seen, what would I look for? Maybe I don't see what I am supposed to be seeing because it is not being seen by the to be seen. (hm? makes sense to me!)

I'm going to have her take it into a repair shop. May not even be the HDD. Could be chipset failure on the motherboard:

SITE NOTE:

Sorry HP Forum Support People: but hard drive failure is NOT the only cause of this - no matter what ANY HP employee tech tells you for an OUT of warranty machine. A chipset failure on the motherboard can also cause this - thus purchasing any replacement hard drive will NOT fix that issue for those affected by such. Please instruct your customers properly in the future. The proper steps should include diagnosing the drive in another device or machine BEFORE even considering suggesting replacing the drive simply because the BIOS doesn't see it. The "BIOS" will NOT see a drive that the motherboard's chipset cannot see - and that has nothing to do with the functionality of the drive.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Is it not even seeing it if you boot from a recovery console USB .. I have a link if you need one :)

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
I'm booting normally trying to get to the Advanced Startup Options. F11 is supposed to boot straight into System Recovery, though it is booting to that same screen.

Yes, please share your link with me. I'm too wound up to give up just yet.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

recovery console USB .. I have a link if you need one :)

Whoosh! That went right over my head! I only have FRST64 downloaded on my USB. Not a W864RE.iso but I know where I could get one if my dear friend would give me permission to download the .iso from his dropbox acct. smiley-ashamed005.gif

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Is it 8 or 8.1 ? Anyways here they all are
Coming to you via PM

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
It is w8 64-bit. Thank you.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
In order to get this laptop to boot to USB. I found info stating that I need to follow the instructions below:

The issue is UEFI. You need to enable legacy boot.

Start the machine and hit f2 to get to bios.
  • Disable secure boot in the boot options screen
  • Enable load legacy option ROM
  • Keep boot list option set to UEFI
  • f10 to save and exit
  • Shut down machine and start it again with the usb device attached
  • f12 on boot to get legacy boot option
  • Pick usb from the list and off you go
Is this correct?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
It should work, although it is my understanding that all new systems with win8 had EUFI as normal

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
OK. I just disabled Secure Boot and enabled Legacy Support. A 4 digit password was displayed, typed that in and pressed Enter key. I got No boot device was found. Rebooted with USB inserted and I am now at a screen with C:\> and flashing underscore. Not sure what to type in. I have typed the letter e, g, and h thinking maybe I need to type in the drive letter to the USB. The response is Bad command or filename - "letter typed"

Any idea what should be typed in?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Try notepad.exe and see what occurs :)

If that works you could then try chkdsk c: /r