Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking to to upgrade (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Please be patient and not leave yourself without a computer, wait until your final parts arrive as you only initially need the PSU and GPU which will take you around 10 minutes to safely remove.

You do not need to download anything as you will receive a software disk with your MB, work early tomorrow so going offline now but will check back tomorrow evening.

Advertisements

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
I have a spare laptop as an alternative, I'll put the bought parts together first.

My plan is to connect what I can on the MB outside the case such as RAM, SDD and CPU with heat sinks setting it on a cardboard box for bare bones testing.

Disassemble old computer and remove GPU and PSU. Connect those to MB as well as a monitor for function test and see if we can get BIOS screen - (is this correct? Then what do I do after reaching BIOS screen)

After reaching BIOS screen, I think I can carry on with the build?

If that's the case, disconnect power from mains and put everything in the case. (Only HDD left as well as OS - please confirm)

Test new computer to see if it boots up, add keyboard, mice and optical drives with monitor. Next step install OS (will this be tricky?)

Lastly, do I only install the OS to the SSD and then afterwards I connect the HDD to do the wipe?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Sorry busy making a cuppa so missed your edit  :blush:

Once you have installed Windows 8.1 and the MBs chipset drivers etc to the SSD and everything has been updated and is running smoothly connect the present HDD to the MB and wipe it with DBan which you can get from here

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Hi Phil,

The answer I'm looking for is not really a reply you've given me from before.

I was just simply double checking with what to do.

I have some news for you anyway which I will update you later with pictures

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:thumbsup:

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Hi,

Here's an update from today's activities, the pictures I took were not good quality and wasn't really good lol:

I done a bare bones set up with the MB/CPU/RAM/SSD with my old PSU/GPU as well as monitor.

I managed to get a BIOS screen! Which is good I think but then I noticed something.

The fan of the PSU is not turning at all, I thought that the PSU was the wrong way up so I turned the power off and rotated the PSU (so the fan is pointing downwards) but the was still not spinning. (is this a problem).

After running the bare bones, I connected everything to the new case and tested to see if it would run (Only one RAM connected). The computer got to the BIOS screen so again, I know that I managed to assemble the parts properly.

I then had a thought that I will use this case with the old set up, basically still using everything but have a new case and a SSD inside the case, just not connected.

This is because the OS that I bought (Windows 8.1) will not be delivered yet until Tuesday next week.

Some things that stood out to me are:

Computer still restarts even when I go on shut down (known error, still showed the problem even with new case).

PSU fan not spinning (today was the first time I saw this)

Only changes I made is the case for my current build. The new build is just a matter of swap and install into this case, everything else is ready.

My questions with the build:

Connecting the PSU cables to the drives - Does it really matter which one I connect to the HDD/Optical Drive/SSD in terms of end of the cable or the first.

Is there an order to connect the SATA/USB to the MB like, "I must connect the Sata to SATA 1 and so on, USB to USB 1 and so on."

Thanks

Edit:

Few things to add:

I've tidied up the case this afternoon, I found out that you can actually put the cables through the little holes and gaps and make it come around the other side (duh) so the airflow is a bit better now.

Capture.JPG

I've put the hard rive on the 7th slot, see below:

20140718_141017.jpg

I took the extra fan cage out from one of the hard drive holders and wired everything up. (It started, I think I'm getting better at this)

However, I found out that the front fan is not working.

I connected both front fans into the MB (took the top fan off for the meantime). As you can see from the photos below, the bottom front fan has no power.

3.JPG 4.JPG

Front of the case clearly shows only the middle fan working.

5.JPG

Now I tried using different fans on the same slot but it did not work. As well as connecting the Front Bottom Fan into other slots on the MB and it still did not work.

I looked at the cable and everything seemed fine however I noticed that it does not clip as tight into the MB unlike the other fans.

Can I please have any help on this?

Another thing:

The PSU fan IS spinning as soon as I start the power, however during the start up there was an ugly noise coming from it. Here is a link to my dropbox folder where I have saved it:

https://www.dropbox....dAwjGkvauLoma#/

As of making this edit post, the fans are all sounding good. The start up was the only problem as well as the boot time was really slow along with opening the browser etc.

Thanks

Edited by Vinceroman, 18 July 2014 - 12:09 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

A very good reply #36  :thumbsup:

The PSU noise was unhealthy, how is it now.

The start up was the only problem as well as the boot time was really slow along with opening the browser etc.

What are you using as the boot device.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Good morning phillpower2,

The PSU makes the noise now and again only on start up and shut down.

Good news today, the OS came. Very happy with the quick delivery, expected it to come Tuesday.

Can I have some answers for this question please from my reply #36:
Connecting the PSU cables to the drives - Does it really matter which one I connect to the HDD/Optical Drive/SSD in terms of end of the cable or the first.
Is there an order to connect the SATA/USB to the MB like, "I must connect the Sata to SATA 1 and so on, USB to USB 1 and so on."

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Good morning Vinceroman,

Can I have some answers for this question please from my reply #36:

Only if you answer the question from my reply #37 first  :P

What are you using as the boot device.

I asked the above question so that I could answer your question correctly, your MB user manual will tell you how your SATA connections should be arranged but typically your boot device should be connected to SATA port 0 or 1 (whichever your MB ports are identified as in 0, 1, 2, 3 and so on or 1, 2, 3, 4 etc) with the main power connection going to your primary drive and any second SATA connection ( the tail) that comes off the connection going to the secondary drive, this mainly concerns the connection of two optical drives such as it is always best for HDDs and SSDs to have their own power lead.

USB port connections again should be done as directed in your MB manual, just make sure that you connect the case front USB 3.0 ports to the USB 3.0 header on the MB.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Hello,

I have successfully managed to build a computer and install Windows 8.1 and my old programs.

Now I need to erase everything from the HDD. I put the DBAN program in a USB stick but couldn't boot from the USB even after going through the BIOS.

I think I'm just doing it wrong. Help?

A step by step would be handy..

Edit 1:

Do you also have some tips with regards to fan speed/temperature

I put my CPU Fan on Turbo by BIOS - is this a good idea?

The other fans I left as it is.

Edited by Vinceroman, 19 July 2014 - 11:03 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Two step by step guides here

No need to have the fan on turbo in the BIOS, the Antec case allows you to manually control the fans to suit the load that the computer is under, you should also refer to the Fan Xpert 3 instructions on page 4-11 of the ASUS user manual as it details how to get the best from the MBs own fan control software, this is particularly important where the CPU fan is concerned.

Can I just remind you that the SSD is only meant for your OS + your favourite game and nothing else, also keep in mind that programmes will need to be reinstalled from their source as in from disk or download etc as they will not function if they are simply copied from one drive to another, this would require the original HDD to be cloned or an image created which is not what you want as you are installing a new OS.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Hello philpower2,

Hope you've had a good Sunday so far.

There were only a few things I have downloaded, which one shall I uninstall so I can reinstall them later on the HDD?

Things installed:

League of Legends

Chrome

Dropbox

Steam

I think that is all, it says 70.8 GB free of 118 GB for the SSD meanwhile the HDD was almost 750 GB.

What do you mean by "original HDD to be cloned." Will it be simpler to just erase everything that is on the HDD and start fresh?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Vinceroman,

Feet up most of the day and likewise hope you had a good day  :thumbsup:

Chrome and Dropbox should be on your data only HDD, I dont play LoL but if you need Steam to play it leave it on the SSD, if not keep it on the data only drive.

Unless Windows 7 is on a separate partition on the original HDD you will need to wipe the whole drive to remove it.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Hi phillpower2,

Had a good Sunday too thanks a lot.

To transfer into the HDD, how can I wipe the drive? Can I have help with this? pref a step by step.

I'm guessing after I've wiped the hardrive, I need to uninstall the progras Dropbox/Chrome/Steam and re install on the SSD

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Sorry but your reply is a little confusing;

To transfer into the HDD, how can I wipe the drive? Can I have help with this? pref a step by step.

You should burn to disk or save to a USB device and personal data, music, pictures etc from the original HDD and then format it.

To wipe a HDD clean there are two options here disregard the before you dispose of it part as it only means that no sensitive data can be obtained from the drive if you were getting rid of it.

I'm guessing after I've wiped the hardrive, I need to uninstall the progras Dropbox/Chrome/Steam and re install on the SSD

Once the HDD has been formatted you should reinstall Chrome, Dropbox and Steam to the HDD, not the SSD, that is for Windows and your favourite game and nothing else.