Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking to to upgrade (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Same parts cheaper would be good as long as the merchant looks reliable  :thumbsup:

I've got Germany in the sweep so will take the better money if they win but neither team are on my list of favourites for obvious reasons.

Advertisements

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Hi,

Just wondering if the OS can be Windows 8.1 with this: http://www.overclock...rodid=SW-165-MS ?

Just bought all the parts except for the OS, waiting for your opinion. Most of the products will be coming middle of this week, latest this weekend.

I chose to buy from Amazon due to having Amazon Prime, I get free next day delivery. I just bought the products a little late in the day so i'll receive it the day after next.

Edited by Vinceroman, 14 July 2014 - 11:12 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Yep that DVD is fine  :happy:

Amazon details acknowledged  :thumbsup:

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Hi phillpower2,

Bought all the parts now, should be all here by the end of the week, got the case already :)

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Hi,

Anything I need to do prior to getting the parts? I want to be able to be up and running as soon as.

The OS disc won't be coming until Friday or Monday even but I can build the computer already ahead of that.

What do I do with the current computer in the meanwhile

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Download any manuals that you can and familiarise yourself with the new hardware before it arrives, this will help the build go more smoothly as you will be familiar with what connects where etc, start with your MB user manual from here

I also strongly suggest that you assemble the parts outside of the case first to confirm that all new parts are functional, this is often referred to as a barebones or breadboarding set up, below is an excerpt from my new build troubleshooting text which you can refer to;

Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, screen, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.

IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch (Yours does :) ) you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding another component, 

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  thank you for understanding.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Hi,

Motherboard and CPU came today, only parts I'm waiting for is the RAM and SSD as well as the OS.

Reading through the motherboard manual now.. Do I need to read everything? :S

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Initially only the installation procedure, once the computer is up and running you can then check out the MBs additional features etc.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Hi,

I just need to wait for the SSD card and RAM to begin barebones set up?

Can I connect the CPU to the motherboard already now I have both

Edit 1: Before I begin to do anything, what do I do with the current computer? I do not wish to leave some files in here so I'd prefer to have everything deleted like the files and programs and then with the new build, I'll just re install what's required.

Edited by Vinceroman, 16 July 2014 - 01:02 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

You can but it is best to wait until the Ram and SSD arrive before pulling the PSU from the present build, that way you still have a usable computer. .

Advertisements

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Can I have an answer to this please:

Before I begin to do anything, what do I do with the current computer? I do not wish to leave some files in here so I'd prefer to have everything deleted like the files and programs and then with the new build, I'll just re install what's required.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Sorry busy making a cuppa so missed your edit  :blush:

Once you have installed Windows 8.1 and the MBs chipset drivers etc to the SSD and everything has been updated and is running smoothly connect the present HDD to the MB and wipe it with DBan which you can get from here

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Hello,

So what happens to the current motherboard? No files or anything gets left behind on this correct? as they are in the HDD anyway?

When I get the rest of the new parts, I do the barebones set up first?

For that I need:

MB

GPU

CPU

RAM

SSD

PSU

Monitor

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Correct on both counts.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Okay,

Rest of the parts should be coming tomorrow, I can't wait to begin. I think i'll disassemble the current computer for now by removing the PSU, GPU and optical drives.

Is there any files I may need to download to put on a USB stick to use for the new build?