Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using two partitions in WIN7

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

In all my previous OS versions,  I had a minimum of two partitions, usually three.   When I downloaded new software, it never went on C drive.  Now with WIN7,  I don't seem to have that option.  It never asks where I want to download or install.  As it is at this rate my C drive will be soon overloaded.   Is there a work around for downloads and installs?

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi Janis :)

In order to be able to create more partitions on your HDD, you need to have free unallocated space on it to create a partition.
Right-click on Computer and select Manage.
Click on "Disk Management" and wait for the window to load. Once loaded, fully open that window, take a screenshot of it and attach it to your next post.
Can you do that ?

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello Janis!

Not sure what your talking about?? The C Drive is where your operating system is located. I don't know why you would want new software to go any where else??

There are three partitions or Drives; what ever you want to call them, on my internal HD.

Two of the partitions are for restoring back to factory. Some times they are labeled recovery partitions.

OOPS sorry Aura!!

If you follow Aura, he will show you how to create another partition that you could use for storage, but still I don't know why you would want to send new software there??

Edited by donetao, 14 July 2014 - 05:43 PM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Hello Janis!

Not sure what your talking about?? The C Drive is where your operating system is located. I don't know why you would want new software to go any where else??
There are three partitions or Drives; what ever you want to call them, on my internal HD.
Two of the partitions are for restoring back to factory. Some times they are labeled recovery partitions.
OOPS sorry Aura!!
If you follow Aura, he will show you how to create another partition that you could use for storage, but still I don't know why you would want to send new software there??

It's actually useful to have two separate partitions on a HDD. It allows you to keep your Windows partition clean of any corruption that could be occured by programs and also it allows you to manage more efficienly the space on your Windows partition. Plus, if you reinstall Windows, you just have to wipe the the Windows partition without worrying of wiping any programs. Of course you need to reinstall them, but it's much easier when you already have your config files and else for it.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

What browser do you use? The only one I can think of that loads to a specific Downloads folder is Firefox and that can be changed by going into Options and checking Always ask me where to save files.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
It's actually useful to have two separate partitions on a HDD. It allows you to keep your Windows partition clean of any corruption that could be occured by programs and also it allows you to manage more efficienly the space on your Windows partition. Plus, if you reinstall Windows, you just have to wipe the the Windows partition without worrying of wiping any programs. Of course you need to reinstall them, but it's much easier when you already have your config files and else for it. 

Hello Aura!

Thanks for your reply! It makes sense what you're saying. I understand having the software down load program stored on a different Drive. I have mine on a external Drive. It's true you could wipe the Windows partition and then just restore your OS to that partition and leave the other partition in tact.

I don't see much advantage to that. If you want to store software programs some other place besides the C drive until your ready to install them, buy a cheap flash drive and do what Ztruker suggests.

PS Always create a restore point before installing any software. That way you can restore to the time before your installed the software.

Edited by donetao, 14 July 2014 - 06:33 PM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

What browser do you use? The only one I can think of that loads to a specific Downloads folder is Firefox and that can be changed by going into Options and checking Always ask me where to save files.

Google Chrome also have an option to change the default download folder location in it's Advanced Settings. But I think the OP talks about when he INSTALL a software, he would like to install it on another partition, other than the C: one.