Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron 15 won't power up (Resolved)

dell inspiron power battery charger

Best Answer CalicaCJA , 21 July 2014 - 12:06 PM

Thank you everybody for your posts - the issue is now resolved. I bought a new battery off eBay for £40 which was delivered within 24 hours! I swopped the batteries over and laptop switch... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

CalicaCJA

CalicaCJA

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Hi,

I have a 14 month old Dell Insiron 15-3521 laptop running Windows 8.

Up to now I have had no problems with it, but it now won't power up.  The charger has a green light on it but there are no lights on the laptop at all, and pushing the power button does nothing.

I have tried taking out the battery and running it on mains only but nothing.

I have tried taking out the battery and keeping the power button pushed for 30 secs and then plugging battery back in, but nothing.  I have also tried a Universal power adapter which I know works on other laptops, but nothing.

Is it worth replacing the battery, I will try this if necessary, but they are quite expensive!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you

Advertisements

HelpMeHelpYou

HelpMeHelpYou

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

It may not be the answer your looking for, But if all else fails $40.00 Is another option http://www.aliexpres...CFchcMgodOiIA_w

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
Up to now I have had no problems with it, but it now won't power up.  The charger has a green light on it but there are no lights on the laptop at all, and pushing the power button does nothing.

I have a dumb answer,but have seen people push the power button and release it. Try holding it down for a couple of seconds. See if it beeps or maybe go into diagnostics mode! Might even start windows??

Hey HelpmeHelpYou! :wave:

Edited by donetao, 15 July 2014 - 05:06 PM.

HelpMeHelpYou

HelpMeHelpYou

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Can you shut down the laptop, press the FN key first and then press the power button, this will intitate the hardware diagnostics,  is any error code listed?

CalicaCJA

CalicaCJA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Thanks for the answers - pressing FN and then power does nothing - laptop totally dead.

I have found a battery for £40 on eBay - looks like I might have to try that, though I'm worried the motherboard has given up on me, as it is unusual to have absolutely no lights on laptop at all, but light on power supply is on.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello! Some times the jack where your AC adapter plugs in can go bad. It sure sounds like your lap top is not getting power.

Some models are notorious for that. You should see the Num Lock and the caps lock lites if the lap top is getting power.

It could be the MB. The AC adapter is easy to check. I bet your local repair shop would do that for you!!

If you have a multi-meter, you can goggle and see how to test your AC adapter.

HelpMeHelpYou

HelpMeHelpYou

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

If donetao's Option does not work. I think Your laptop has a deep hardware failure that may be due to a memory problem or a motherboard IC failure. If in that case, It would be better to let your Warranty take over the problem..:(

CalicaCJA

CalicaCJA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
✓  Best Answer

Thank you everybody for your posts - the issue is now resolved.

I bought a new battery off eBay for £40 which was delivered within 24 hours! I swopped the batteries over and laptop switched on - all is working fine now.  I find it rather annoying that if a battery fails (and it was only 14 months old - but outside warranty!), but the charger works fine, why can't the laptop power up without the battery.

Anyway, it's all working now, so thank you all again!

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Thank you everybody for your posts - the issue is now resolved.

I bought a new battery off eBay for £40 which was delivered within 24 hours! I swopped the batteries over and laptop switched on - all is working fine now.  I find it rather annoying that if a battery fails (and it was only 14 months old - but outside warranty!), but the charger works fine, why can't the laptop power up without the battery.

Anyway, it's all working now, so thank you all again!

I also find it strange that the laptop can't power on without the battery.  Will it work now without the battery plugged in and using the AC adapter?

Thanks for your feed back!!

donetao

Edited by donetao, 21 July 2014 - 12:46 PM.

HelpMeHelpYou

HelpMeHelpYou

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

That is strange! My laptop can have the battery completely out and still work as long as the AC Adapter is connected. I just now checked it Hmmm.... :headscratch:

Advertisements

CalicaCJA

CalicaCJA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

No, it seems to only work if the working battery is plugged in!

suave6565

suave6565

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hey there.... I came across this site becuase it was the only one that seem to have a solution. I have friend who gave me two of the same laptops to troubleshoot, both with the exact same issue... NO POWER.. they both stopped working at the same time..It seem too coincidental that both stopped powering up...i mean, no power LED...Nothing. So I figured like everyone else, it could be the power adapter, thinking, it should power up without the battery... Well I bought the adapter from ebay it arrived and to my surprise, it didnt work. So i search and I found this site...  CalicaCJA got his to work by buying a battery (Which by the way is strange for a laptop to heavily rely on the battery regardless if the battery goes). I've never heard of such a thing and always knew that a latop can still run even if the battery dies but I guess theres always a first and you learn something new everyday. Im assuing its a flaw in the design of this laptop.

Anyway, im going to buy a battery and see if it does the trick. if it works, I have to thank you guys for posting this in adavance.... My next step would be telling my firend to start thinking about investing in another laptop;in this case two!

kahin

kahin

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I have exactly the same problem with my Dell Inspiron 15-3521. No power LED, nothing. Here is what I tried: I bought a brand new battery and a new charger and tried using them but it didn't work. I also bought a new power jack harness cable and replaced it with the one attached to the motherboard, but still, no power LED, nothing... I am giving up, it is probably bad motherboard. But before I completely give up, I wanted to reply to this topic to see if there may be any other solutions to this problem. suave6565, did this "new battery" solution work for you?

Mr.Gadget

Mr.Gadget

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I have an Inspiron 15 (7547) that does get a power indicator but when the power button is pressed, it makes a whir sound and then shuts down within about 3 seconds.

I removed the RAM and it beeps like crazy.  I replaced RAM 1 stick at a time to no avail.  I replaced the HDD, and even took out the HDD.  No change.  I removed the battery, pressed the power, removed the coin cell, pressed power again, replaced all and still the behavior is the same (power button lights up, power indicator lights up, whir/swish sound & seconds later power down).  Using a power adapter does not change the behavior either.

I suspect I have a bad internal power issue.

After reading the above posts, I am going to take a battery out of another 7547 and swap and see what behavior I get.  (We have about 20 of these and they are barely 14 months old - but out of warranty, of course!)   *grumble*

stormyshewolf

stormyshewolf

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi everyone!

I have the Dell 15 3521 as well and it's dead. It won't power on. This happened out of the blue in July.  I've tried the suggestions here about holding the power button and all that but one thing I did notice, the power cord light goes out when I plug it into the laptop. I've only plugged it in while the battery is in. If I move the cord around on the power supply I will get a light flash of light from the power cord, but it won't stay on. It will stay on if I don't have the laptop plugged into it though.

So do you think my battery is the culprit, my power cord, both? Should I try taking the battery out and plugging it in? Could it be the power port on the laptap and if so, is there anyway I can fix that?

Thank you so much for any help. I wish I would have found y'all sooner!

Stormy <--- Newbie Member