Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a pc on a budget

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

€250 is a reasonable asking price as long as the seller is prepared to come down a little**, €200 would be better but be prepared to meet in the middle at €225  ;) 

** The computer is ok for a here and now type usage but unfortunately it does not have any long term upgrade potential, the MB will accept i5, i7 and Xeon CPUs but the limiting factor is the maximum speed of compatible Ram which is 1333MHz, if you can live with that fine but also keep in mind the following: only 4GB of Ram and a 32-bit OS and other than the claimed 650W output nothing else is known about the PSU (a junk one would need to be replaced) + the output readings are not the best when you compare them to the tolerance table attached below;

Voltage

+12V 11.672 V
+5V 4.898 V
+3.3V 3.398 V
+1.5V 1.502 V
CPU1 VCCP 0.916 V
CPU CORE 0.896 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER 0.744 V
+3.3V 3.488 V
+5V 5.232 V
+12V 8.866 V
VIN5 0.752 V
VIN6 1.056 V

A poor quality PSU may explain the high temps of the Southbridge/chipset but so could a mixture of poor case cooling and the warm Cypriot climate.

Advertisements

sukiblr

sukiblr

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

I built this rig for my home pc

AMD FX-4300 (4 Core, 4MB L2 + 4MB L3 Cache)
Biostar A88MQ Mobo
Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 4 GB PC RAM (KHX1600C9AD3B1K2/4G)
WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA III 6 Gbps HDD
AOC 19.5 inch LED Backlit LCD - e2070Swnl
Sapphire R7 250X 1GB GDDR5
Asus 24X SATA DVD R/W

Cost approx US$ 500

Hope this helps.

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts

Hey :)

That's the PSU:

http://pc-profession...39-fp-650w.html

I'm fine with the memory speed, as the computer will not be used for gaming or something heavy on resources, but I want it to last for a few years

the output readings are not the best when you compare them to the tolerance table attached below;

Can you explain this a little bit more? What does that mean, now that we know which PSU is there?

Thank you

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Hello michaelg9,

The +12V rail that provides the power to the most demanding hardware such as the HDDs and video cards needs to be stable at around 12V at all times, the Nitrox PSU has multiple 12V rails and two readings are shown (1) +12V 11.672 V which is borderline on making the computer unstable (anything below 11.4V is bad) and (2) +12V 8.866 V which if was the only 12V rail would result in a non working computer.

In addition, the PSU is not of the best quality and this is evident from the following, it is not at least bronze rated, it is modular but very inexpensive, see here there are no power output details stated and finally the brand is not listed on the PSU database, see canned below;

Please note that there is one thing that is possibly worse than using a known poor quality brand of PSU and that is using one that is unheard of, for brands of PSU to trust and brands to avoid please refer to the attached links http://www.10stripe.com/featured/psu/brand.php and http://www.pcmech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208143

PSU database http://www.realhardt...vos/Page541.htm

Got to wonder what the following means from the link that you included above;

Four 12V-lines provides a optimal saturation of all connected consumers. 

:headscratch:

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts

Hey :)

Thank you for all this information. So, you're actually saying that the PSU needs to be replaced right?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Hello michaelg9,

Honest answer is that if I were to consider purchasing the said computer I would have a good quality and appropriate wattage replacement PSU ready to swap in, one reason to see if you can have the seller reduce their asking fee  ;) 

You are welcome btw  :)