Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No wireless connection after Windows XP Pro SP3 install on Compaq V600

Windows XP Pro Compaq V6000

• Please log in to reply

Honymo

Honymo

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

I recently reinstalled Micrsoft XP Pro SP3 on my Compaq V6000 laptop. It installed fine, however I don't see the option to connect to a wireless network. I previously connect to wireless on this laptop. Do I need to install drivers ? If so how ? Also my speakers/sound is not available either.

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi Honymo :)

Yes, it looks like you're missing some drivers for your WLAN Controller and your Sound Card.
Can you tell me if you're running Windows XP 32 or 64-bits ? You can see this by right-clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties. If there's nothing written by the Windows XP Professional, it's 32-bits, if there is, it will be written 64-bits.
Which one is it ?

Honymo

Honymo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Nothing is written by it. Thank you for your help.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Nothing is written by it. Thank you for your help.

Alright :)
Let's see if you have more than 2 drivers missing. Go back into the Properties of My Computer but this time, go to the Hardware tab and click on Open Device Manager. There should be a category called "Missing Devices" or "Unknown Devices". Can you screenshot this part and attach the screenshot to your next post ? Do you know how to take a screenshot ?

Honymo

Honymo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

I have attached it, as I am communicating from a pc in the home with internet access.

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot.JPG

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

I have attached it, as I am communicating from a pc in the home with internet access.

Wow you're missing quite a few drivers ! I love helping with installing drivers :) We'll install all of them ! Do you have an USB Flash Drive that you can use to transfer the drivers from the computer you download them on to that computer ?

Honymo

Honymo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Wow why did that happen like that ? I will look for a usb, if not can i use a cd-r ? 

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Wow why did that happen like that ? I will look for a usb, if not can i use a cd-r ?

Most likely because you used a basic .iso of Windows XP that didn't have a lot of drivers in it. What you can do is to right click on every Missing Devices, select Update Drivers and pick the first option to look for drivers automatically via Windows Updates. Just in case you find a few.

Honymo

Honymo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Don't you need internet access to do that ? 

Honymo

Honymo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

I did click on each and try to update drivers, but there are no updates. I have the USB flash drive.

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Don't you need internet access to do that ?

You already have a few Windows Updates on your system, so it might be able to grab one or two drivers. I doubt about that but it's worth a try while I find the official drivers for you, should take a few minutes.
For the Video Controller (VGA Compatible) and the Video Controller, please right-click on them and select Properties. Go to the Details tab and select Hardware Ids in the drop down list. Please attach these pictures to your next post.

Also, can you confirm that this is your laptop please ?

http://h10025.www1.h...product=3177516

Edited by Aura, 16 July 2014 - 07:03 PM.

Honymo

Honymo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Not sure how to confirm that, I took a snapshot of BIOS does that help ?

Attached Thumbnails

• BIOS.JPG
  • VideoCont.JPG
  • VGA Compatible.JPG

Honymo

Honymo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Compaq Presario V6444US Notebook PC

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
It did thank you, now I got the exact model number for your laptop :)
For every drivers, you'll get on a webpage with a "Download" button, please click on that "Download" button and wait for the download to be complete to transfer over your file. I strongly suggest you to install your Ethernet and Network Controllers drivers. This way, you'll have access to the Internet and you can easily go grab the drivers from that laptop directly after.
  • Ethernet Controller, click HERE
  • Video Controller (VGA Compatible) and Video Controller, click HERE
  • Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus, click HERE
  • Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus, click HERE
  • SM Bus Controller, click HERE
For each download, all you have to do is to launch the installer, which is an .exe and follow the installation wizard. If it asks for a restart after the installation, please do it.

Edited by Aura, 16 July 2014 - 07:33 PM.

Honymo

Honymo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Which one is the network controllers driver ?