Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Machine experiencing significant lag

windows lag firefox office photoshop

• Please log in to reply

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Hello ladies & gentlemen. I have been experiencing significantly more & more lag on my Windows 7 machine. And my usual methods of chipping away at the lag just aren't doing it.
I'm using a Asus G74Sx, here is my CPU-Z Report http://valid.x86.fr/29plrc & my GPU-Z Report http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/4qyc7/.

What do I mean? Doing simple things like surfing the web, using Firefox and Chrome is extremely laggy. It takes sometimes 10-15 seconds for FF or Chrome to respond, or to become active. Sometimes the browsers become grayed out, and nothing is click-able.

There are times where up to a minute browsers do not respond to my clicks or commands.
These types of things also happened when I need to work in Office, or photoshop, or video editing.

I used to use programs like Advanced Systemcare, CCleaner, and others to spruce up Windows. But it doesn't seem to be doing much anymore.

I run a clean computer. I use Kasperskiy. Malwarebytes, and Advanced Systemcare regularly.

I would appreciate your help in helping me resolve this lagging/freezing issue in my W7 machine.

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi BearCavalry :)

Can you go in your Task Manager (right-click on the taskbar and select Open Task Manager), go to the Performance tab and tell me what is your current RAM and CPU usage ?

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Hi BearCavalry :)

Can you go in your Task Manager (right-click on the taskbar and select Open Task Manager), go to the Performance tab and tell me what is your current RAM and CPU usage ?

absolutely. Here it is.

XnEgzjF.jpg

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
You might find this guide useful. :)
http://windowsinstru...han-it-used-to/

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

You might find this guide useful. :)
http://windowsinstru...han-it-used-to/

WOW!!! oooooh, this is good. I am going to do all of this. Thank you rockmilk.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Let us know how it goes.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

You might also check this out for your internet issues, as well.

http://www.ihelpforu...a-windows-7.44/

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

I think all those things helped my problem. I haven't had any of those freezing/grayout moments for hours now. I can't believe how easy it was.

I bookmarked that page. Thank you so much for sharing that link.

Even my performance tab in the task manager looks better it seems.

DP9DcMR.jpg

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Sweet glad to help see my last post to optimize your internet . :)

Have a great day/night. 

Edit: I would also uninstall Advanced Systemcare, replace that with the links I have sent you. :prop:

Edited by rockmilk, 19 July 2014 - 06:57 PM.

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Sweet glad to help see my last post to optimize your internet . :)

Have a great day/night. 

Edit: I would also uninstall Advanced Systemcare, replace that with the links I have sent you. :prop:

I did as you asked in the private message. Also, I uninstalled ASC

Thank you so much

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Thank you, you have been a pleasure to work with. :)

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Mr. Rockmilk. I am getting some of the same problems again. Even after running through that whole list of fixes again. I often have to use google images, and the page freezes up all the [bleep] time, I don't know how, but google and web browsing works a lot better on the laptop I have that has 2 Gigs of Ram instead of the 16 Gigs I have here. Plus I get errors like this

znLw7p4.jpg

Do you have any more suggestions? BTW, I use Firefox (Ver 31)

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Mr. Rockmilk. I am getting some of the same problems again. Even after running through that whole list of fixes again. I often have to use google images, and the page freezes up all the [bleep] time, I don't know how, but google and web browsing works a lot better on the laptop I have that has 2 Gigs of Ram instead of the 16 Gigs I have here. Plus I get errors like this

znLw7p4.jpg

It looks like you have hijacking Javascript scripts running.
Please follow the instructions listed here to reset your Firefox settings. Then, tell me if the issue keep happening. IF it does, we'll send you in the Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal section to get your system checked and remove the Adwares and Browser Hijackers you could be infected with, alright ?

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

znLw7p4.jpg

It looks like you have hijacking Javascript scripts running.
Please follow the instructions listed here to reset your Firefox settings. Then, tell me if the issue keep happening. IF it does, we'll send you in the Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal section to get your system checked and remove the Adwares and Browser Hijackers you could be infected with, alright ?

Well... I have good news and bad news. The good news, after I did the reset. I no longer have the script errors and insane lag while doing the same searches in google images.

The bad news, my Firefox now looks like ...a very dull, unmodified, unfriendly firefox. I have none of the add-ons that made my Firefox experience unique.

So are my add-ons really so terrible? Because the thing is, up until probably 3-4 months ago, the add-ons didn't cause any of this trouble.

Here is a list of what I had installed. I probably am missing lots of good stuff that you guys use, unless you all use Chrome or some weird operating system in Linux.

Extensions
Name
Adblock Plus
BetterSearch
Classic Theme Restorer
Classic Toolbar Buttons
Customizations for Adblock Plus
Dictionary Switcher
Disconnect
DownloadHelper
Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus
Image Picker
Imgur Uploader
LastPass
Lightbeam
NO Google Analytics
Remove Google Tracking
RightToClick
Save Images
SaveFrom.net helper
Search By Image (by Google)
Site Search
Status-4-Evar
Terms of Service; Didnt Read
The Addon Bar (restored)
Toolbar Buttons
toolbarmode
TS Magic Player
Unhide Passwords
Webmail Ad Blocker
Whois & Flags Firefox & Websites Popularity Rating
Youtube and more - Easy Video Downloader
YouTube High Definition

I thank you very much for your help. Thank you, Thank you!!

Edited by BearCavalry, 28 July 2014 - 09:28 PM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

WOW! that's a lot of ad-ons! I read your whole topic and it seems you done a lot of things that were advised by GTG members.

Maybe you can add back some ad-ons now ,that you have done all the other suggestions.