Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Pavilion Help System on XP

• Please log in to reply

clevejon

clevejon

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Pavilion t77f.uk. On the desktop there is an icon (a blue circle with a "?" symbol), that no longer works. It used to bring up the HP Help and Support application. It also appears in the pop up window when you left click on the Windows "Start" button. I think this tool is connected with a built in Microsoft XP Help service, but I am unsure.

I called the HP support desk and they tried to recover the "Help and Support Additions" application using the "Apllication Recovery" tool from the "PC Help &Tools" menu. This did not work. They then suggested that I do a full system recovery, which I am not prepared to do due to the shag and hassle. :tazz:

So I am trying to manually fix the problem.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling "Help and Support Additions" several times using the UnWise install program or the HP Application recovery. The underlying application seems to be "pchbutton.exe" from MotiveCommunications inc. but again I'm not sure. This just seems to be a background service, does not pull up a GUI.

If I right click on the "&Help and Support" icon and select "Properties", it shows the target as "&Help and Support". This seems strange as I would expect something like "C:\Programs\..."

Can any other Pavilion owner tell me what the "? in a blue circle" shortcut points to on their system? i.e what program or URL?

Also, can anyone what manages the application icons that are shown when you left click on Windows "Start"...some seem to be fixed and others change based on most reecently used applications...presumably what is shown here is controlled by some system folder or registry entry.

Any help appreciated,

clevejon

Advertisements

clevejon

clevejon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
refresh

whiz

whiz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Clevejon

When i right click mine it points to 'help and support' The general tab says C:/documentsandsettings/allusers/desktop.

Hope this helps

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
hi i have a HP PAVILION A608 and i have the same problem i cnt figure how it duz it