Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

User limitation [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

amplexus

amplexus

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi All,

Due to playing around all the time on his pc my brother-in-law asked me 3 times to re-install his xp-pro. So to avoid his playing around, I only have given him basic user rights .

I'm admin on the machine and installed ad-aware SE Personal Edition, so far so good, works fine.

But one day the definition-files ware to old and ad-aware won't run.

It seems a basic user can't do the live update.

Can I, as admin change something so he has the possibility to update and run ad-aware ?

It is not my intention of giving him full Admin rights for the moment

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Guest_Andy_veal_*

Guest_Andy_veal_*
Lavasoft Knowledge Base Article 03050201
Unable to Use Ad-aware With a Non-Administrator Account
http://www.lavasofth...03/05/0201.html

SYMPTOM

When you try to use Ad-aware with an account that does not have administrator privileges, you may experience the following:

*Ad-aware scans, but cannot remove anything.
*Ad-aware will not start.
*Ad-aware does not operate correctly.

CAUSE

This can occur because some areas of the system are not accessible to users running with a limited account, or an account that does not have administrator privileges. User account levels are features of Microsoft Windows NT, Windows 2000, and Windows XP Operating Systems.

RESOLUTION

Log in to the computer with an account that has administrator-privileges, or for users running Windows XP, use the 'Run As' tool to launch Ad-aware at an administrator level while logged in with a non-administrator account.

For more information on the 'Run As' tool in Windows XP, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

http://support.micro...spx?scid=305780

The third-party link provided is outside the control of Nicolas Stark Computing AB (Lavasoft), in no way represents an endorsement, and is only provided as a convenience. Nicolas Stark Computing AB (Lavasoft) does not control the content of linked material, and therefore cannot make any warranty on such information.

MORE INFORMATION

Ad-aware requires the use of an administrator-level account. Other account levels do not provide full system access that is required by Ad-aware to function properly. Some users may achieve success when running certain Ad-aware functions under a non-administrator account; however, some functions will not work properly, and support is not provided for these issues.

Edited by Andy_veal, 12 June 2005 - 03:03 AM.

amplexus

amplexus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks andy,

This I do already, but is not exactly what I meant.
I'm looking for a way ad-aware can run without me being present (physically or remote-controlled) :tazz:

likes me strange a Administrator must always do the scanning etc.

perhaps I can give full rights just on the ad-aware reg keys?
Anyone tried that before ?

thanks

Guest_Andy_veal_*

Guest_Andy_veal_*
Sorry for that.

What version are you running?

Plus and Professional versions, - the paid versions have a feature for automatic scanning, though the personal version does not have this feature avaliable.

amplexus

amplexus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Andy,

thanks for the help.

Running the personal edition.

Problem is solved, just by giving full control on the lavasoft folder. ;)

Live can be sometimes so simple :tazz:

Guest_Andy_veal_*

Guest_Andy_veal_*
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.