Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Software programming for beginners - Building software apps?

• Please log in to reply

jaco1

jaco1

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Hi guys,

I was wondering what would be your recommendations for software programming for beginners. I see some people across the web saying Visual basics is the right way to go whereas other people are saying C++ is the way to go. But I am also looking for something that teaches me how to make some basic programs as well as learning how the code works rather then just how the code works.

Any help appreciated here guys. Thanks.

Advertisements

ident

ident

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Pick a horse the color mdoes not matter. I am a vb programmer so i will say vb.

jaco1

jaco1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

So your saying it's more about flavour and less about different levels? What I am looking for is to be able to make software programs either Windows ones or third party that work with Windows. But also I am looking for something to teach me to make things while I am learning. I did come across however that VB teaches you how to make things like Picture Viewers.

ident

ident

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

I am simply saying pick the One you enjoy most. Who am I to say do not use X Language? VB is a language. It cannot teach you anything.

sahilwaste

sahilwaste

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Hi,

it is not about language but about your interest. If you are willing to put some time in learning programming then any language is as good as the other one. Each language is good for some particular purpose so choosing a language that suits your objectives is important. For entry-level learning  VB is cool, but if you as me i'll say go for C++ or even start with 'C' and develop some logical skills first and then move on to C++ or whatever language you think is good for you, ask others take a second opinion. Also visit often programming communities like Dreamincode, wibit, programmersheaven, stackexchange etc for ideas and help. 

happy programming.  :thumbsup:

ident

ident

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

For entry-level learning I am confused with that comment???

sahilwaste

sahilwaste

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

i mean, for starting learning programming VB is a good choice. Its easy and can be chosen as first language to learn. But i highly suggest learning a procedural language before jumping on to any object oriented one. 

and i am confused, yesterday i logged off from G2G (and i am very much sure about that)  but today i am not asked for login.  :headhurt:

jaco1

jaco1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

What do you consider to be procedural languages? I am actually in two minds about starting with VB or C++ at the moment. I understand that you can create a picture viewer in VB and so guessing you can also do the same thing in C++. I want to start off basic and then perhaps move onto bigger things in the future.

I have however learned a bit of web based programming at code academy and I understand once you get the gist on one language picking up on others seems easier. Basically what I am looking for are tutorials that teach you how to make programs while also learning that language if that make sense?

Veitch

Veitch

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Buy one good book to get to know the basics about the language you chose. Books often have exercises as well, if you are looking for that. But once you got the very basics, the best motivator is to create a program that you would like yourself. So choose your own project and help yourself with the language API and examples you find on the internet.

Whether you choose C++ or VB depends on the projects you want to create. C++ is suitable for low level projects, it is more tedious and easier to make mistakes with it. VB is at a higher level and seen as easier for the beginning.

But it doesn't really matter what language you take in the beginning. It should be fun for you, so you keep going.

ident

ident

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

VB is an amazing language. It is only easy for new programmers because strict is off by default. A good programmer will write good code in any language. Stay away from google examples. VB is 90% crud from the internet. MSDN(which can actually be quite bad) or vbforums.com where i am bassed.

jaco1

jaco1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I came across this YouTube Channel which has many tutorials on VB among many other things. Here's an example:

https://www.youtube....h?v=_hsPfoOmNIM

VB is what I am going to go with for now. Now I know what I can actually make and stuff I can now go off and learn more about what the code actually means and does I guess. :)

Edited by jaco1, 25 July 2014 - 04:28 PM.

ident

ident

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

A million times no regarding YouTube tutorials on VB. A quick random sample taken from his tutorial collection

this is terribly written.  Using vb6 hold overs such as str(), val()(which is an interesting One at best.), comparing Booleans to True. The OP said it's about data parsing yet wraps a Try statement around code that should be validated. Exception handling is for exceptional circumstances. Not us being lazy. Msgbox over MessageBox.Show etc....

The point of this is that Val will take a string and convert it into a number until it encounters a non-numeric character.

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Foo()
        Dim value As String = "123abc"
        Dim number As Integer = CInt(Val(value))

Debug.WriteLine(number)
    End Sub
End Class

This is terrible programming. Even more so the abuse of using a Try Block.

Public Class Form1

Private Function IsValidNumber(value As String) As Boolean
        Dim number As Integer
        Dim isValid As Boolean = False

If Integer.TryParse(value, number) Then
            isValid = True
        End If

Return isValid

End Function

End Class

He is a prime example of spending 5 minutes learning then turning to writing tutoriasls. I am happy to help you any way i can.

jaco1

jaco1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

A million times no regarding YouTube tutorials on VB. A quick random sample taken from his tutorial collection

this is terribly written.  Using vb6 hold overs such as str(), val()(which is an interesting One at best.), comparing Booleans to True. The OP said it's about data parsing yet wraps a Try statement around code that should be validated. Exception handling is for exceptional circumstances. Not us being lazy. Msgbox over MessageBox.Show etc....

The point of this is that Val will take a string and convert it into a number until it encounters a non-numeric character.

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Foo()
        Dim value As String = "123abc"
        Dim number As Integer = CInt(Val(value))

Debug.WriteLine(number)
    End Sub
End Class

This is terrible programming. Even more so the abuse of using a Try Block.

Public Class Form1

Private Function IsValidNumber(value As String) As Boolean
        Dim number As Integer
        Dim isValid As Boolean = False

If Integer.TryParse(value, number) Then
            isValid = True
        End If

Return isValid

End Function

End Class

He is a prime example of spending 5 minutes learning then turning to writing tutoriasls. I am happy to help you any way i can.

Yes, I was just looking around. Actually right now I am on the official Microsoft VB tutorials page. And I will also remember you if I need any help. Thanks. http://msdn.microsof...y/dd492171.aspx is probably where I should have started in the first place lol.

ident

ident

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Buy a book. Wrox.com