Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Internet suddenly very slow [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

I have Comcast Xfinity broadband Internet.  My speeds have always been a consistent 57mbps. This afternoon, the Internet speed suddenly got very slow.  Ran several speed tests and the best I could get was 2.7mbps. I have been on the phone with Comcast tech support several times over the past two hours and they are telling me everything looks fine on their end.  They suggested I might have a virus.  Told them I have Avast Antivirus and it has not warned me of any virus, malware, etc. on my computer.  They're telling me I could have a virus that Avast doesn't recognize and that I should run an onlne virus scanner to make sure.  Of course they didn't suggest which one I should use.  I'm reluctant to run an online virus scanner because I know they can contain malware.  Is there an online virus scanner that geeks-to-go can recommend? 

Advertisements

LiquidTension

LiquidTension

Expert

• Expert
  • 1,151 posts

Hello Webslinger64,

My username is LiquidTension, but you can call me Adam. I will be assisting you with your malware-related problems.
If you would allow me to call you by your first name I would prefer that.   xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.CwSpBGGvqN.png

======================================================

Important: I have laid out some "ground rules" I would appreciate you follow. Please read through the points below to ensure this process moves as quickly and efficiently as possible.

• Please read through my instructions thoroughly, and ensure you carry out each step in the order specified.
  • Please do not post logs using the CODEQUOTE or ATTACHMENT format. Logs should be posted directly in plain text. If you receive an error whilst posting, please break the log in half and use multiple posts.
  • Please do not run any tools or take any steps other than those I provide for you. Independent efforts may make matters worse, and will affect my ability in ascertaining the current situation & providing the best set of instructions for you.
  • Ensure you are subscribed to this topic to receive instant email notifications of my responses.
    • Scroll to the top of this page and ensure you see the following: 6hgDYJ6.png.pagespeed.ce.OQFpZhD8dz.png
    • If you are not set to follow this topic, click the Follow this topic button and follow the prompts.
  • Please backup important documents before proceeding with my instructions.
  • If you come across any issues whilst following my instructions, please stop and inform me of the issue in as much detail as possible. Please do not hesitate to ask before you run anything.
  • Topics are locked if no response is made after 5 days. Please inform me if you require additional time to complete my instructions.

Please be advised that I am currently in training at WhattheTech.com. My responses will need to be approved by a instructor at WhattheTech.com before I post in order to ensure you are receiving accurate instructions. I will return as soon as possible.

LiquidTension

LiquidTension

Expert

• Expert
  • 1,151 posts

Hello Webslinger64, 

They suggested I might have a virus.

This is unlikely. Viruses are relatively uncommon nowadays. What you may have is an assortment of TrojanAdwareSpywareDialerPotentially Unwanted Programmes (PUPs) or Rootkit infection. Or your Internet-related issues may be completely unrelated to malware. 

I'm reluctant to run an online virus scanner because I know they can contain malware.

Indeed. it is not uncommon to find numerous hits from untrustworthy or scam sites which mis-classify detections, provide misleading information or recommend downloading potentially unwanted programmes, or even malware. 

Is there an online virus scanner that geeks-to-go can recommend?

Yes. As part of this process I will provide instructions on how to run an online scan. 

For now, please run the following diagnostic tools. These will allow me to ascertain the state of your computer, and whether or not your computer is infected. 

STEP 1
xlK5Hdb.png Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) Scan

• Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (x32) or Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (x64) and save the file to your desktop.
  • Note: Run the version compatible with your system. Run both if you do not know your system's bit-type. One will run.  
  • Windows XP: Double-click FRST.exe or FRST64.exe to run the programme.
    Windows 8/7/Vista: Right-Click FRST.exe or FRST64.exe and select AVOiBNU.jpg Run as administrator to run the programme.
  • Click Yes to the disclaimer.
  • Ensure the Addition.txt box is checked.
  • Click the Scan button and let the programme run.
  • Upon completion, click OK, then OK on the Addition.txt pop up screen.
  • Two logs (FRST.txt & Addition.txt) will now be open on your desktop. Copy the contents of both logs and paste in your next reply. 

STEP 2
aA7bkRO.jpg aswMBR

• Please download aswMBR and save the file to your desktop
  • Temporarily disable your anti-virus software. For instructions, please refer to the following link.
  • Windows XP: Double-click aswMBR.exe to run the programme.
    Windows 8/7/Vista: Right-Click aswMBR.exe and select AVOiBNU.jpg Run as administrator to run the programme.
  • If you are prompted to download the latest anti-virus definitions from avast!, click Yes.
  • If you are prompted to enable the use of "Virtualization Technology", click Yes.
  • Click the AV Scan: drop down box and click C:\.
  • Click Scan
  • Upon completion, you will see Scan finished successfully. Click Save log
  • Re-enable your anti-virus software.
  • Copy the contents of the log and paste in your next reply.

Note: Do NOT attempt to click Fix or FixMBR.
Note: A file (MBR.dat) will be created on your desktop. Do NOT click or delete it.

STEP 3
pfNZP4A.png Logs
In your next reply please include the following logs. Please be sure to copy and paste the requested logs, as well as provide information on any questions I may have asked.

• FRST.txt
  • Addition.txt
  • aswMBR log

LiquidTension

LiquidTension

Expert

• Expert
  • 1,151 posts
Hello,

Do you still require help?

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Hello,

Do you still require help?

I apologize for not replying sooner.  Last minute trip out of town for work that will last through the end of next week.  I will reply once again when I return.  Again, my apologies.

LiquidTension

LiquidTension

Expert

• Expert
  • 1,151 posts
Not a problem. :)

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Not a problem. :)

Comcast sent a technician out today.  He replaced the modem and rewired our service from the junction box to our home.  All is working perfectly!  Not sure why Comcast suggested a virus on the phone, but I couldn't be happier right now.  Thank you Liquid Tension for your assistance.

LiquidTension

LiquidTension

Expert

• Expert
  • 1,151 posts

Hi Webslinger64, 

I'm glad the issue is resolved. :)

CatByte

CatByte

GeekU Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 2,705 posts
  • MVP
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.