Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Referred from security. Highly selective possible hardware problem

• Please log in to reply

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Good morning! Sorry to hear chkdsk failed! I'm not familiar with the software HelpMeHelpYou has suggested. I do know about seatools.

SeaTools for Windows tests SATA, USB, 1394, ATA (PATA/IDE) and SCSI drives. It installs onto your system. SeaTools for Windows is completely data safe. If the drive passes SeaTools for Windows, your troubleshooting can move to other areas.

http://www.seagate.c...ols-win-master/

RUN THESE

S.M.A.R.T

Short Drive Self Test

Short Generic

Long Generic

DON"T RUN THESE!

Fix All

Advanced Tests!

Edited by donetao, 22 July 2014 - 10:28 AM.

Advertisements

homebrew901

homebrew901

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Cool, thanks.  That's downloaded.  I'm running a "long generic" test on the disk.  Is that right?

homebrew901

homebrew901

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Egads, that was quick and bad.  The drive failed the long generic test and the program wants me to download seatools for DOS. Should I do that?

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Egads, that was quick and bad.  The drive failed the long generic test and the program wants me to download seatools for DOS. Should I do that?

seatools dos is a ISO file and has to be burned to a CD or flash drive. It can some times fix minor problems on some HD's

I really think it's time to save your data and get a new HD. You can wait and see if DonnaB agrees. She works, so will be latter in the day before she replies.

Though Seatools can test all the brands of HDD, it performs the repair action for the Seagate brand HDD only.

You can down load seatools dos here! If you have a Seagate HD, it might work. If it were me. I would save my data and get a new HD.

You will need a program like Macrium Reflect to clone your old HD. I can help you there if you like! I wouldn't wait to long to make a decision. Much easier now then when your HD bites the dust.

http://www.seagate.c...ols-dos-master/

Edited by donetao, 22 July 2014 - 10:58 AM.

homebrew901

homebrew901

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

There doesn't appear to be a crying smiley.  OK, I've moved some particularly crucial stuff to the cloud and I'm backing up to an external HD now.  I think I'll play with that Seagate tool a little bit before fully throwing in the towel and ordering a new drive.  I'm fortunate that my existing drive is also a Seagate product so maybe it'll figure out how to segregate the bad part(s) of the disk and put me back to work.   I'll let you know how it goes if this backup ever finishes. 

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Sounds good! Good luck with the repair. When chkdsk turns up it's nose and refuses to fix bad sectors, that's a very bad sign! :tazz:

Edited by donetao, 22 July 2014 - 12:54 PM.

homebrew901

homebrew901

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Blech.  Microsoft's backup tool won't work; it hangs up during that same musicmanager.exe that tripped up various antivirus programs.  Attempts to save files hang up somewhere in my picture directory.  And the Seatools just tells me "pass" on most short tests and "fail" on other short tests and all long ones.  It won't repair the thing.  And my CD reader failed months and months ago so I can't use the DOS version (unless there's a way to boot from a USB drive?) 

So yeah, if you've got a Macrium Reflect link that doesn't involve CNET I'd certainly appreciate it.  Also, if you know of another, better disk checker.  My disk is 400 GB and I'm only using a little over 100 of it.  I have to believe there's a way to wall off the crappy part of the disk, maybe even make it its own partition, and use the rest of the thing as long as the spinner and reader are working. 

homebrew901

homebrew901

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Oh, and without a proper MS backup, what can I do to reinstall Windows if/when I get a replacement drive?  Or how can I convince MS that I'm legit so they'll provide me with what I need?

HelpMeHelpYou

HelpMeHelpYou

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

http://filehippo.com...macrium_reflect

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Oh, and without a proper MS backup, what can I do to reinstall Windows if/when I get a replacement drive?  Or how can I convince MS that I'm legit so they'll provide me with what I need?

Hello!

HelpMeHelpYou has provided the link for Macrium Reflect that doesn't use a Down Load Manager. I know what you mean by CNET. I stay far away from them.

CNET is all about $$$. They will load PUP's on you and cause you grief. So far filehippo does not use Down Load managers

Nice find HelpMeHelpYou. I knew you were good for some thing. I gave you a reputation star! I see you have 8 now. Good for you!

Macrium Reflect will clone your drive. No need to bother MS! Macrium Reflect makes cloning very simple!

http://kb.macrium.co...ticle50081.aspx

I have to believe there's a way to wall off the crappy part of the disk, maybe even make it its own partition, and use the rest of the thing as long as the spinner and reader are working. 

Only in your dreams. You figure that out and you will be a millionaire :yeah:

Edited by donetao, 22 July 2014 - 03:58 PM.

Advertisements

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello! DonnaB! :wave: Time for you to be off work and logging on the forum :headhurt:

:laughing: :laughing:

HelpMeHelpYou

HelpMeHelpYou

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Oh boy!!!!!  Thanks donetao  When i reach 20 stars do i get a gift? Lol :) Yeah DonnaB time for you to take over....Were waiting to see what color of rabbit you pull out of the bag today :;D

Edited by HelpMeHelpYou, 22 July 2014 - 04:20 PM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Oh boy!!!!!  Thanks donetao  When i reach 20 stars do i get a gift? Lol :) Yeah DonnaB time for you to take over....Were waiting to see what color of rabbit you pull out of the bag today :;D

No! You get a excellent rating!

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture48.JPG

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
:lol: You guys are silly!

@ homebrew901,

I've been told that the best way to test your HDD is from the manufacturers site. After reviewing the accomplishments (or lack there of) while I was away from my desk, I would have also suggested as donetao has to back up anything and everything that is dear to you and could not live without.

Macrium Reflect is an excellent, and from what I hear, a user friendly cloning software. Even though I have been experimenting with Macrium here lately, I am not experienced enough to guide you on how to use it to replace a failing HDD.

I do it the easy way by calling my friend Andy the repair shop guy and he does it for me. :blush:

homebrew901

homebrew901

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Thanks.  Yeah, the really crucial stuff is saved to the cloud.  Right now I'm trying to salvage less important stuff to my external hard drive.  Once that's done I'll upload that to another computer and then try that Macrium thing.  On the first try I learned (I think) that it wants to erase everything on the external drive before beginning cloning, which is why the belabored process.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I have to admit I'm a little nervous cloning a hard drive which I know to be bad.