Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Referred from security. Highly selective possible hardware problem

• Please log in to reply

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
On the first try I learned (I think) that it wants to erase everything on the external drive before beginning cloning, which is why the belabored process.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I have to admit I'm a little nervous cloning a hard drive which I know to be bad.

You don't clone to your external drive! You buy a new internal drive and clone to it. You can not boot windows from a cloned external drive. Buy a new internal HD the same size or larger and clone to it. If you don't know what your doing, just ask!! You should unplug your external drive before you start the cloning process.

If you don't know what your doing you better see Andy the repair shop guy or ask Gary the computer Guy :yes:

Advertisements

homebrew901

homebrew901

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Ah.  Good to know.  Unfortunately, I was hoping to defer the expense of a new drive until things turned around for me financially.  Guess not.  Is swapping a laptop HD something I can do or is that also an Andy kind of thing?  My exact drive appears to be available for $51 from Amazon.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Ah.  Good to know.  Unfortunately, I was hoping to defer the expense of a new drive until things turned around for me financially.  Guess not.  Is swapping a laptop HD something I can do or is that also an Andy kind of thing?  My exact drive appears to be available for $51 from Amazon.

If you clone a disk with Windows to external USB hard drive, you will not be able to boot from it. Windows does not support booting from external USB hard drives. Please clone to internal SATA SSD or HDD instead.

It is not hard to swap a laptop HD. You do not need Andy. We do need to change our plans if your finances are short. It will require adding another step to the process and burning a Linux boot CD, which Macrium shows you how.

Read this and put your image on your external drive. After you have the image on your external drive, buy your new internal drive and I will help you install the image on your new internal HD. If you don't want to do this, then call Andy!! :laughing:

http://www.howtogeek...backup-utility/

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello! Please use this link on how do I use Macrium Reflect!

http://www.macrium.com/help.aspx

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
:cool: Now it is my turn to sit back and watch donetao pull a rabbit out of his hat work his magic. ;)

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

You should be able to remove your old hard drive. Plug in your new HD. Use the Linux CD that you created to boot up. Find the image on your External drive. Restore that image to your new HD and be back up and running on the new drive. You still have the old HD that you can put back if this doesn't work.

That's the best I can do for you.

Please advise if you need further instructions. Right now the important thing is to get a back up image of your OS on your external dive and test the Linux CD

donetao

Edited by donetao, 22 July 2014 - 10:23 PM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

:cool: Now it is my turn to sit back and watch donetao pull a rabbit out of his hat work his magic. ;)

Chicken :laughing: You can test the Linux CD by booting with it and following the wizard up to the point where it says finish. Then cancel and windows will boot normally. It's a good idea to test the Linux CD and see if it will find the image on your external drive. If it can't then we need to try a different boot CD(Bart PE or Windows PE) I have all of them!

I do know these things Donna and I can save you$$ and by pass Andy :yes: Sorry Andy!

Macrium is a great tool. I would never be without it.

I see your a malware fighter. Congratulations. I'm not sure I could graduate from the school. I have 5 or 6 programs I use to clean computers in my retirement village. I never charge the seniors in my village. I do get lots of good things to eat however. :yes: I'm Gary the computer guy!

If the computer is not clean after using them, I save the data and restore the PC back to factory. Some times restoring back to factory is the easiest and fastest way.

I do admire you malware guys and gals and might even enroll in the malware school. Do you think I could pass?? 

I have registered on a lot of forums. This is the first one that has allowed me to share my knowledge.

I'm usually off topic or to friendly. Sorry I'm just a friendly guy and I love sharing my little bit of knowledge with friends. If I'm answering you, then you are my friend.

This is the first time as a member of many forums, that I have felt like I can reply and not be chastised by the forum staff, and I appreciate that very much.

See you tomorrow! Happy computing !

donetao

Edited by donetao, 22 July 2014 - 10:26 PM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Now here's where I get into trouble. Way off topic! We have 590 guests and just myself and Lolcomin don't seem to have a life :laughing:

What are all our guests thinking??Oh Well they have plenty of topics to read :D

Having just a little fun tonight! Hey DonnaB  :wave: Wondering who the  two Anonymous are?? Having a bunch of tests tomorrow, so might not be on the forum a lot.

donetao!

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture48.JPG

Edited by donetao, 22 July 2014 - 10:50 PM.

homebrew901

homebrew901

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Thanks for the advice and help.  For now I'm going to take a break from this. I know the whole thing is going to crap out eventually, and probably pretty soon.  But right now I have to get back to work getting resumes out so that's going to be my time sink for the next couple of days.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Thanks for the advice and help.  For now I'm going to take a break from this. I know the whole thing is going to crap out eventually, and probably pretty soon.  But right now I have to get back to work getting resumes out so that's going to be my time sink for the next couple of days.

Hello N/P! If you want help latter, just ask!

donetao!

Advertisements