Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Media Player Doesn't Start Playing a File

• Please log in to reply

jguss

jguss

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have made a number of short movies using the standard Windows Media Player 9 codec and uncompressed sound. Using exactly the same file formats, some of these movies play perfectly, while some of them will not start. For those that do not start, the player opens the file and simply does nothing, even if I press the play button. Further, it will play them perfectly if I click a few seconds into the time line. This method works for all Windows Media Player versions I've tested between and including versions 9 and 10. Why does this happen for some files and not others, and how should I fix it? I created the files using Adobe Premiere.

It is worth noting that Windows Media Player version 6.4 has no trouble playing any of the movies I've made, and that whether or not a file plays seems to have nothing to do with its size. My files range from five seconds to two minutes.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
almost sounds like a drm issue.

jguss

jguss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I've tried it on five different computers, and they all have the same issue. A file will either work on all of them, or not work on any of them. Do you know how I would go about fixing that?

jguss

jguss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have resolved this problem myself.

What I've found is that Premiere actually randomly inserted a couple garbage frames at the beginning of some of my files. Removing the first two or three frames fixed the problem, and since they also contained garbage sound, my movies did not lose any content.

I am using the first version of Premiere Pro; it is quite possible that this issue has been fixed in version 1.5.