Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wiping disk on older XP system

• Please log in to reply

michelle.stokes

michelle.stokes

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi there all. I got a new computer and want to take the old one back to bare bones so they guys out in the shop can use it for training and such. All info needed has been backed up and I still have the Original disk with the OS on it so I want to completely wipe it but it's not being very cooperative. I've tried booting from the Windows disk, hitting all the "F" keys one at a time on boot-up...nothing's working. It barely runs but we just want to wipe it, put the OS back on, and make it capable of going on the internet for training classes and such. I'm NOT a techie, but I'm not dummy either. Any advice?

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hello michelle :)

Which version of Windows XP are you trying to install right now ? And usually, it's the F12 key that you have to "smash" on boot to get to the one-time boot menu and boot from the CD/DVD-ROM.
What is the computer brand and model ?

michelle.stokes

michelle.stokes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

It's  a Dell Intel Pentium 4 2.80 GHZ running XP Professional 2002. I've tried smashing all of the "F" keys...trust me. I would love nothing better than to use a hammer on the next swing but the guys need it for training  ;)

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

It's  a Dell Intel Pentium 4 2.80 GHZ running XP Professional 2002. I've tried smashing all of the "F" keys...trust me. I would love nothing better than to use a hammer on the next swing but the guys need it for training  ;)

Are you able to find the model number of that Dell computer ? :)

michelle.stokes

michelle.stokes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I'll have to wait for morning when they guys unlock the job shack but I'll make sure to get it first thing in the morning sorry

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Power on, start tapping the F2 key every second or so as soon as the Dell logo appears. This should get you into the BIOS Setup menu.

If that doesn't work, Power down the computer.
Remove the power cord.
Open the case and remove the CMOS battery.
Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds to drain the capacitors.
Put the CMOS battery back in.
Plug in the power cord.
Power up.

You should get a message about

CMOS checksum error
press F1 to continue, F2 to enter Setup.

Press F2.

Set date/time/time zone/boot devices and boot priority (Set CD as first boot device)
Save and exit, see if it boots.

michelle.stokes

michelle.stokes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I found the express service code: 15467782213

and the serial #: 73T4951

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

I found the express service code: 15467782213
and the serial #: 73T4951

Both of these aren't the model number unfortunately.
Can you try Ztruker's instructions above ?

michelle.stokes

michelle.stokes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I'm sorry-I just don't have the time or inclination to start tearing it apart. I was hoping for an easy fix. Doesn't look like it's gonna let that happen though.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

Check for a Dell factory restore partition on the HDD;

• Power up the computer.
  • When the Dell screen appears, press and hold the CTRL and F11 key simultaneously on the keyboard, then release them both at the same time.
  • The Dell PC Restore window will hopefully appear.
  • Click the Restore button or press the key to highlight Restore and press the key.

A caution message appears, advising that all data will be lost.

• Click the Confirm button, or press the key to highlight Confirm and press the key.

The Progress window appears. Once the process has begun, Dell PC the restore usually takes only 8 to 10 minutes to complete. When the restore is complete, the message 'The system recovery process was successful' appears.

• Click the Finish button or press the key to highlight Finish and press the key.

Advertisements

michelle.stokes

michelle.stokes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I apologize for my shortness. This PC is going to be the death of me. All of the things that SHOULD work are simply not working. Short of beating it to a pulp, I'm at a loss.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

It's your choice to do or not do the things we suggest. I understand the reluctance to do some things but if you don't then it's impossible for us to help you, which we really want to do.

The stuff with the CMOS battery and power is really simple to do. It may not help but then again it may.

Good luck.

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

The model is a Dell OptiPlex GX270 Small form factor I believe.

Have you tried repeatedly pressing the F12 key (and only this key) as soon as the PC powers on? Pressing them in sequence rarely works as you won't catch it in the small window available.

michelle.stokes

michelle.stokes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Power on, start tapping the F2 key every second or so as soon as the Dell logo appears. This should get you into the BIOS Setup menu.

If that doesn't work, Power down the computer.
Remove the power cord.
Open the case and remove the CMOS battery.
Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds to drain the capacitors.
Put the CMOS battery back in.
Plug in the power cord.
Power up.

You should get a message about

CMOS checksum error
press F1 to continue, F2 to enter Setup.

Press F2.

Set date/time/time zone/boot devices and boot priority (Set CD as first boot device)
Save and exit, see if it boots.

Hey all-I've tried everything everyone has mentioned and last night I pulled the battery and telling it to boot from the disk drive. It powered up as usual. I'm honestly at a complete loss

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

Don't know if this will help!

http://www.dell.com/...ew?docid=266618