Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 corrupted files (Resolved)

windows 7 corrupt files device manager sfc system restore system

• Please log in to reply

Mobius264

Mobius264

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Ok so this is a series of bad stuff happening to my PC.

I bought a WIFI USB adapter for my PC a few weeks ago while I was away from work and it worked fine. I came home a few days ago and it still worked. One morning I bumped into 

the USB adapter and the signal started cutting in and out. I switched to hardline and continued to check to see if it worked, and decided to uninstall and reinstall

(D-Link Wireless AC dual band DWA-171). From then on it would not install properly. The program would freeze at different points during installation, so I attempted to reboot my PC.

During reboot, it would stay on the shut down screen for over 10 minutes, so I did a bunch of hard reboots. At one point it blue screened and said Device_Power_State_Failure. After almost 2

days I went for a system restore but it said there corrupt files. I looked online for solutions and it said to do a System File Checker sweep. I attempted it on command prompt and nothing happened at all. I checked how to fix that and it said to open services.msc and check a few things. I tried to open serivces.msc but a text box opened up with a red X and no text. This morning I turned on my PC

and it did what looked like an SFC sweep on its own, took almost an hour I believe and went through a ton of files. At this point I cannot access certain things, such as device manager, properties of my hard drive, user accounts, and system only shows a few pieces of text. Here are my specs, but again, cant access much so i dont have all my details:

I7 2600k 3.40 Ghz

16 gb ram

Asus motherboard

Nvidia GTX 580

Bretton

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.png
  • Untitled2.png

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,765 posts

:welcome:    Mobius264

Bumping into the adapter and this issue happening may be coincidental but it is also possible that something like important Windows installation was interrupted when the adapter was banged.

Are you able to try the USB adapter on another computer to see if it still functions correctly.

Do you have a Windows 7 or Dell installation disk.

Have you checked for a System Restore point that is before you banged the USB adapter, see below;

To use System Restore

Before you start System Restore, save any open files and close all programs. System Restore will restart your PC.

1. Open System Restore by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818. In the search box, type System Restore, and then, in the list of results, click System Restore18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  2. Follow the steps in the wizard to choose a restore point and restore your computer.

For more information, see System Restore: frequently asked questions.

55e6d542-0b53-4a5f-ab70-9ce8734e2bde_0.j

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

Your in good hands with phillpower!

I don't like this statement in your post!

During reboot, it would stay on the shut down screen for over 10 minutes, so I did a bunch of hard reboots. At one point it blue screened and said Device_Power_State_Failure. After almost 2

days I went for a system restore but it said there corrupt files

HD's don't like hard reboots; if your talking about using the power button to shut down and power up.The newer HD's can handle hard reboots, but your operating system can't. Just guessing, but you may have corrupted your OS. Phill can help you try to fix that.

Mobius264

Mobius264

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

I had my brother try to install the WIFI program and he had the same problem, froze while installing. For the system restore, I found a point I believe is when I first tried to uninstall the WIFI program, but when I tried it I got an error screen, which I screen shot and attached. I do not have a Windows installation disc but I do have a recovery disc. I bought this PC used from someone who had it custom built. He gave me the recovery disc but I am not sure if it matches the OS he put on the PC. I found out the hard way that they have to match, as I tried to use the disc to fix up my old laptop and it made the OS it had not genuine. Not sure if there is a way to match them up before trying to use the disc or not. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.png

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,765 posts

What froze, the installation of the software or the wireless device, was the device connected.

The first thing that I suggest you do is download a Windows 7 ISO, see post of J W Stuart here

Microsoft DVD/USB download tool here

If you do not have the product key for the present OS written down and stored safely, download Magical Jelly Bean (free) key finder from here, make a note of the code, store it somewhere safe and reveal it to nobody. 

Post back when you have the ISO.

Mobius264

Mobius264

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Right before the program begins the install, it asks the user to insert the USB adapter. It freezes right before the loading bar is finished installing the program.

I have everything ready boss :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,765 posts

The problem could then be with the adapter as in the installation software cannot detect the device because it is damaged, we can come back to this if you like.

Regarding the System Restore issue;

Have your Windows 7 ISO ready in case you are prompted to insert it while doing the following;

Download and then run steps 2, 3 and 4 of the Windows Repair (All In One) which you can get from here please ensure that you do create the new restore point that will be suggested.

Post back when done and good luck  :thumbsup:

Mobius264

Mobius264

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Ok so I already had Malwarebytes but it did not open. I tried to reinstall but I got a bunch of the same runtime errors during the installation (posted picture). As well my steam program will not open, it shows an update window quickly and then nothing happens. Those are the only two programs I've seen so far that wont work, next to D-Link. I have avira antivirus which is still working if that would work for a system scan?

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.png

Edited by Mobius264, 23 July 2014 - 04:32 PM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello! Phill may be busy for awhile!

Have you done any of the things that Phil suggested in posts 5 and 7???

I think one suggestion involves repairing your OS???

While waiting for Phill run a sfc /scannow!

Open Command Prompt , type the following command and then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

Note: There's a space between sfc and /scannow.

Mobius264

Mobius264

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

That's one of the issues I first posted. The sfc in command prompt doesn't do anything. The program he had me download does a sfc sweep but it asks you to use malwarebytes to do a virus/malware scan first, but the program doesn't work, so I was wondering if Avira Antivirus will work as a substitute? I have everything else he said to do ready to go.

Advertisements

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

Phill lives in the UK and is bed. He has been really busy with his job lately and I have been trying to help on the topics he's helping on.

That's one of the issues I first posted. The sfc in command prompt doesn't do anything. The program he had me download does a sfc sweep but it asks you to use malwarebytes to do a virus/malware scan first, but the program doesn't work, so I was wondering if Avira Antivirus will work as a substitute? I have everything else he said to do ready to go.

I don't like to get ahead of Phill. It sounds like you have several  issues with your PC.. I'm not understanding why malwarebytes doesn't work. Antivirus programs are different than malware software and are usually run with programs like malwarebytes. Yes you can run Avira. You might try Malwarebytes Chameleon first.

Let me know how it works. I will monitor this topic until Phill can reply!  https://www.malwareb....org/chameleon/

donetao!

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture48.JPG

Edited by donetao, 23 July 2014 - 10:09 PM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

You have 13 chances to find and run malwarebytes chameleon.

I'll be up another 30 minutes and then Phill can take over!

Will be monitoring your topic and helping when I can.

Good luck!

donetao

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

It's my bed time. Phill can take over from here! I just ran Malwarebytes Chameleon.

I cancelled the MBAM killer because I knew my PC was clean and would complete the scan; and allowed MBAM to complete the scan.

No malware was found, but I knew that would happen, because my PC is clean. I keep it that way!! :yes:

I would never own a computer without Macrium Reflect and MBAM Pro.

I have attached two screen shots and hope they help. I will monitor your topic and help when I think I can. I think Phill and I make a great team. What do you think??

Good night!

donetao!

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture48.JPG
  • Capture49.JPG

Edited by donetao, 23 July 2014 - 11:35 PM.

Mobius264

Mobius264

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

I can wait as long as it takes for you guys to reply, I am happy just to have help at all. Chameleon did not detect anything and it could not open MBAM. I am guessing it has to do with Windows being corrupted. I am going away for 4 days, so I'll check back here as soon as I am back. Thanks for all the help so far.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

You are very welcome! I'm sure Phill will be able to help you will your problem.

Have a safe trip!

donetao!