Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 corrupted files (Resolved)

windows 7 corrupt files device manager sfc system restore system

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Thanks for covering the time zone difference Gary (donetao)  :thumbsup:

The problem could then be with the adapter as in the installation software cannot detect the device because it is damaged, we can come back to this if you like.

Regarding the System Restore issue;

Have your Windows 7 ISO ready in case you are prompted to insert it while doing the following;

Download and then run steps 2, 3 and 4 of the Windows Repair (All In One) which you can get from here please ensure that you do create the new restore point that will be suggested.

Post back when done and good luck  :thumbsup:

I emphasised that only steps 2, 3 and 4 should be run as step 1 relates to possible malware issues, this is something that is not dealt with at GTG outside of the malware forums, on your return please advise as to where you are up to with this and we can go from there.

Advertisements

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Your Welcome Phill!

I emphasised that only steps 2, 3 and 4 should be run as step 1 relates to possible malware issues, this is something that is not dealt with at GTG outside of the malware forums, on your return please advise as to where you are up to with this and we can go from there.

Didn't know about that rule. Rules are rules and I don't want to break them. Sorry was just trying to help the OP and knew you were busy!

doneato!

Mobius264

Mobius264

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Step 2 of Windows Repair is running a Malwarebytes scan, and step 1 is to do a power reset. Sooo should I skip steps 1 and 2?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

The steps must have recently been changed so sorry about that.

Steps 3 and 4 only then please.

Mobius264

Mobius264

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

When I tried to do step 4, it didn't work. The program says there isn't a SFC built into it so it uses Window's version, which didn't work before so it makes sense why it didn't work this time. I have a picture of it.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.png

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Time for a Repair Installation, this will not affect your personal data but I always suggest you back up anything that cannot be replaced, tutorial here

Mobius264

Mobius264

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Well this is not going well. During the install, a command prompt popped up and nothing happened. When I hit exit, the computer would restart and give a list. I could either hit Windows 7 setup or Windows 7. Windows 7 setup would load and go right back to the command prompt again. If I pressed Windows 7, it would start and a text box popped up saying the upgrade did not complete and reverted back to its old self. Another option from the list was to press F8 for more options, in which one was repair your computer. I tried that but it didn't work. After that I tried a memory diagnostic and nothing changed. So now I am back to square one. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG258.jpg
  • IMG260.jpg
  • Safe-Mode.jpg
  • Untitled.png

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

This is a bit off topic.

I will never have your problem because I have at least 8 back up images of my OS on two different external drives.(A bit over done, I agree). I create a new one once a month.

I have the 5 CD's of my back to factory and a flash drive back to factory, which I could use, and then mount a image of my OS with Macrium Reflect, and then copy and paste or drag and drop any thing in that image. I could also restore the Macrium image to the back to factory restore and every thing would be just like the day I created the image.

All this is so easy to do. I just don't understand why more people don't do this. Some thing you might think about in the future!

donetao!

PS Phill is very busy and will get back to you when he can. Everyone wants advise from Phill. Phill is smartest computer person I have ever met, and if there is a solution to your problem he will have it! I think I would bite the bullet and restore back to factory. Then I would create regular back up images, and never be in this situation again :yes:

Edited by donetao, 28 July 2014 - 10:57 AM.

Mobius264

Mobius264

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

I didn't know you could do that, I will definitely start now. As well, I had my Wifi USB adapter exchanged under warranty so I will test that out once my PC is fixed. 

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

I didn't know you could do that, I will definitely start now. As well, I had my Wifi USB adapter exchanged under warranty so I will test that out once my PC is fixed. 

Hello! Phill lives in the UK! May be in bed, but he will help you when he can. Some times members here are shy about replying on topics where other members are helping. They say to many chiefs spoil the soup. I disagree and think the more help the better. There is never one solution to a problem.

Phill has always made me feel welcome on topics he's helping on. I try not to step on his toes and hope I'm always careful with my suggestions.

I have seen your specs, but wonder what kind of rig your running. I know W7, but was wondering make and model.

It takes a little time and effort to create back up images, but one day like now, you will be very glad you put forth the effort :yes:

If you were to create a back up image right now, you could always restore that image and at least be back exactly like the day you created the image.

I know you don't want to start from scratch, but you may have to if you want to get your PC fixed. Not being able to run sfc /scannow is not a good thing.

That's telling me there are corrupted files that can't be fixed or other serious problems!

doneato! 

I'm sure Phill will have answers soon!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Hello folks,

Before any fresh install I would first suggest trying chkdsk /r and backing up any important data from the HDD.

Please run chkdsk from the Recovery Console;

• Boot your Windows 7 DVD ISO
  • When you see "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD", press Enter
  • At the "Install Windows" screen, click on Repair your computer at lower left
  • At the System Recovery Options screen, make note of the drive letter assigned to your boot drive (normally C:) and click Next
  • At the Chose a Recovery Tool window, click on Command Prompt. You will be sitting at X:\Sources directory
  • Run chkdsk 
    • If you did not note the drive letter of your boot disk, you can enter bcdedit and look at the osdevice line to see what it is.
    • For chkdsk, type chkdsk c: /r and press Enter (use the letter from above if not C:).

Post back with an update and let us know if you need help with backing up your data.

Thanks for the additional support Gary (donetao)  :thumbsup:

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

Trying to learn. I know a little about the Windows 7 DVD ISO(need to learn more) but wondering if the system repair disc can get you to the recovery mode in the same way.

Also wondering why it isn't recommended more, and why people do not create one swhen advised by Windows7 to do so

Here's a great tutorial about the System Repair Disc!

http://h10025.www1.h...us&dlc=en&lc=en

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Hello!
Trying to learn. I know a little about the Windows 7 DVD ISO(need to learn more) but wondering if the system repair disc can get you to the recovery mode in the same way.
Also wondering why it isn't recommended more, and why people do not create one swhen advised by Windows7 to do so

A System Recovery/Repair Disk brings you in the Recovery PE, so yes.
You can also access the Recovery PE via a Windows 7 installation disk. On the first (or second ?) screen, where you have "Begin setup"/"Begin installation", at the bottom, you have a clickable text : Repair your computer. When you click on it, it brings you in the Recovery PE.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

From the OPs reply #4

I do have a recovery disc. I bought this PC used from someone who had it custom built. He gave me the recovery disc but I am not sure if it matches the OS he put on the PC. 

The reason that downloading the ISO was suggested  ;) 

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

A System Recovery/Repair Disk brings you in the Recovery PE, so yes.
You can also access the Recovery PE via a Windows 7 installation disk. On the first (or second ?) screen, where you have "Begin setup"/"Begin installation", at the bottom, you have a clickable text : Repair your computer. When you click on it, it brings you in the Recovery PE.

Hello!

Ok thanks for the information Aura.

I don't want to get off topic and confuse the OP, but here's a link where you can down load the system repair ISO.

http://maximumpcguid...em-repair-disc/