Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Brand new PC build - consistent random crashes (SOLVED)

hardware crash freeze cpu gpu ram windows7 geforce motherboard help

• Please log in to reply

Panic Drill

Panic Drill

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
system info:

Brand New PC build (April 23) - details in link above (Windows 7, GeForce GTX 780, Intel Core i7 4790, Thermaltake TP 850 PSU, Samsung 840BW EVO SATA, Gigabyte Z97-HD3 - G. SKill NT16gb RAM)

Since the day it was built I have had issues with totally random freezes/hard hangs needing hard resets (no peripherals work during freeze). And just in the last week they have escalated to random restarts (no bsod). PC works absolutely fine other than that. Here is a list of troubleshooting I have tried on the unit.

- dbl checked all drivers (BIOS/GC/MB) and all are upto date
- reseated build
- replaced PSU and still had the same problem
- replaced GCU and still has the problem (was ready to call this one the solution after a week with no crashes - but jsut randomly today another - even went ot the retailer and had my GeForceGTX 780 replaced yesterday, didn't put it in yet though, this crash was on old unit used for testing - Radeon 3870). I did have a bsod when replacing the original GeForce with the Radeon 3870 but that was to with Radeon drivers and not the original problem)
- I have ran all hardware tests out there at least twice with all tests coming back good/passed. Programs used were Memtest, Prime 95 and Furmark)
- I have tried with numerous forums to find help, many evet logs have been shared with no solutions. (most recent log is attached at the end of this post.
- tried whocrashed to pinpoint a dumpfile indicator - I have no .dmp files to test at all indicating hardware. The only .dmp files I eventually had were due to the BSOD after repalcing GCU and the driver issue stated above - not related to the hangs freezes).

I will put in the replacement GeForce today/tomorrow but I have no idea at all what the issue with crashes is. Only things left are MB/CPU/RAM or some random compatibility issue. Can anyone help?

TLDR: New PC, runs great but has random crashes/freezes and now restarts (no BSOD). Very seldom and occur between 5 and 15 hours or so into boot up. Tried numerous tests and troubleshoots listed above. Event viewer has had no help but consistent errors include wininnit and custom dynamic link libraries.

most recent event viewer logs here:

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:welcome:   Panic Drill

Can I ask if the OS on the SSD was a fresh installation, if yes what type of media was used as in a full retail/OEM disk, downloaded ISO or a burned copy etc.

Have the MBs drivers been installed

Please provide a link to the Ram that you have.

It is getting late here in the UK so will be going offline shortly as I have an early start tomorrow  :(

NB: In order to receive notification of any reply to your topic you need to click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

Panic Drill

Panic Drill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Thanks for the welcome :)

Yes, fresh install of W7 onto the SSD from the disk (professional version). The auth code for windows hasn't been used yet as I wanted to make sure I could use my old PC to troublshoot online if there were issues with my new PC. So windows does ask for the registration key still, but that's fine I can do when I'm ready.

Yes MB drivers have been done - Should I triple check this? Pretty sure it has been done (still have gigabyte app on taskbar)

link to the RAM - what do you need? It's G. Skill-NT 16GB Kit (8Gx2) DDR3 1600 F3-1600C11D-16GNT

NW if you need to go sleep, thanks.

I really hope someone can pin point this issue for me. (I'm in Australia 7.45am my time atm)

Edited by Panic Drill, 22 July 2014 - 04:15 PM.

Panic Drill

Panic Drill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Do I need to install the SATA RAID/AHCI drivers or just the chipset? I have definitely installed the chipset.

Edited by Panic Drill, 22 July 2014 - 04:43 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

While Phillpower2 is offline, I will get some more info from you , if that's OK.

You do not have to have RAID drivers installed unless you have a RAID setup.

When you installed the OS, did you have other internal and the USB HDDs still connected?

Don't know how recent the system specs you uploaded was generated, it shows the USB 3.0 has a problem.

Are there any warning flags showing in Device Manager?

When updated or changed video software, did you use Display Driver Uninstaller? > http://www.guru3d.co...r-download.html

Can you run a program like HWMonito or speedfan and post a screenshot?

Please download and run Speccy.  

How to give us the URL, > https://www.piriform...file-to-the-web

Download Speccy free Ver, > https://www.piriform.com/speccy

Panic Drill

Panic Drill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

ty for taking time to help iammykyl,

- When OS was installed no other devices were connected. Just the build with all parts mentioned in place. That's what you mean? Both the SATA and internal HD were in place that's it.

- USB 3.0 issue could be due to one fix tried earlier in the process - some errors would be reported from previosu troubleshoot attempts. USB 3.0 I think I disabled legacy USB in BIOS as one trblsht option a few weeks ago or so ago. Is it an issue now? It isn't the cause of freezes though.

- No warnings in device manager

- Will do another speccy for you guys, I've had other forums go over it and they havn't found anything but maybe you can idk. Will link to report soon.

- There may have been issues with previous attempted fixes (but they aren't the crash cause - e.g. the only .dmp file I have on 14/7 was from replacing GCU with old one to trblsht that area).

- Will also get a HM screenshot up.

Posting reports soon, thanks. I fear there may be nothing obvious though.

Panic Drill

Panic Drill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Can you run a program like HWMonito or speedfan and post a screenshot?

Please download and run Speccy.

Here are these reports

(note my build GCU is a GeForce GTX 780 - the Radeon GCU was for trblsht, thoguht the GeForce was the issue but as OP states after a week had another sudden restart and posted here to try and find out What the... is happening (:

speccyhttp://speccy.pirifo...XelCz4Wnawnrqo3

HWMhttp://1drv.ms/1mEt5Jb

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thanks for the additional support iammykyl  :thumbsup:

Speccy shows that the PSU readings are out of wack;

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Your Ram is not on the MBs QVL however it is the same specs as an alternative G-Skill product that is so it may be ok.

Panic Drill

Panic Drill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Is there any reason the speedfan version I downloaded (4.49) does not give any info other than the RH side top panel? It is not measuring fans or voltages and they do not show up on the tabs.

I have posted a HWM link above but here it is again in case. http://1drv.ms/1mEt5Jb

Link to Sfan reading I get on startup (tabs dont have options for voltage or fans)

http://1drv.ms/1mFlRog

regarding the PSU - I have swapped it out and used a replacement in testing - did not solve the crashes so I put it back in. There is the odd chance I guess that both of them had the issue but the replacement unit had no troubles ever on my old PC.

Edited by Panic Drill, 23 July 2014 - 01:37 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Not sure why your Speedfan readings omit the voltages.

We do not need a full HWMonitor report only the temps and voltages, can I ask that you attach the screenshots following the steps that I provided please, HWMonitor

Advertisements

Panic Drill

Panic Drill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Not sure why your Speedfan readings omit the voltages.

We do not need a full HWMonitor report only the temps and voltages, can I ask that you attach the screenshots following the steps that I provided please, HWMonitor

Same with hwmonitor too

http://1drv.ms/1sTk1Ir

Im not fussed about the old  GCU not showing up as it being replaced with the replacement GeForce tomorrow. IDK why nothing else shows up.

Looks like the readings wont read correctly for some reason.

Edited by Panic Drill, 23 July 2014 - 02:57 PM.

Panic Drill

Panic Drill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

From SPeccy - these are voltages if it helps - since HWM and SF wont report it.

CPU CORE 0.744 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER 2.028 V
+3.3V 2.004 V
+5V 3.367 V
-12V (7.104) V
-5V (6.048) V
+5V HIGH THRESHOLD 2.843 V
CMOS BATTERY 1.548 V

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

It was the voltages in Speccy that caught my attention and why I asked for the Speedfan and HWMonitor screenshots.

Can I ask why you will not attach the screenshots following the GTG method and my posted procedure.

Panic Drill

Panic Drill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Sorry used to using onedrive with previous forums - not ingrained in my habits.

Attached Thumbnails

• hmon.jpg

Panic Drill

Panic Drill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

It was the voltages in Speccy that caught my attention and why I asked for the Speedfan and HWMonitor screenshots.

Can I ask why you will not attach the screenshots following the GTG method and my posted procedure.

I will try and figure out why speed fan and hw monitor wont report properly and hopefully fix it and post shots for you to look at. I realise it is late where you are again so hopefully I have them up tomorrow for you. No idea why they don't report but I will look into it.

Edited by Panic Drill, 23 July 2014 - 03:24 PM.