Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP registry problem during SW installation

• Please log in to reply

Kostan

Kostan

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,
My O/S is Windows XP Home.
While installing a Symantec's retail CD, NIS 2004, I got an Error 1406 "Could not write value <registry key information>" so I could not install it.
After checking with Symantec I was told in order to fix the problem I needed to assign Full Control to the "Administrator" in the registry so that I can install the CD.
I opened the Registry Editor and I went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE* to assign permissions, in Permissions for SOFTWARE in the Security tab where it says Group or User names, all I found was a Group or User names "Everyone" and no "Administrators" or any other.
On my PC there is only one user account "Myname ( Computer Administrator)".
Does anyone know how can I add the user "Administrators (My Computer name\Administrators)" in the registry key above* and then assign permissions? <_< Thank you

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Log on in safe mode. go to the security tab of software and click the add button. Type administrator in the box and hit enter. check the allow box next to full control. click enter and leave. your administrator account is now has full control permissions over that area. it should have in the first place, but must've somehow got removed.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
were you logging on in safe mode before when you were trying this?

Kostan

Kostan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello -=jonnyrotten=- ,
thank you for the advice. <_<
No,I have not tried it in safe mode.
How do you think "administrator" was removed,could it be a virus? :D

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Well, I don't know how Administrator got removed from the groups and user names box in the security tab, but I can pretty much guarantee that the administrator account is still there on your pc. The administrator account is a built in account in windows, and as far as I know it cannot be removed from the computer.

[QUOTE]My O/S is Windows XP Home.
I opened the Registry Editor and I went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE* to assign permissions, in Permissions for SOFTWARE in the Security tab where it says Group or User names[QUOTE]

The reason I asked you if you started in safe mode is because on XP Home you cannot get a security tab when you go the properties of a file or folder unless you start in safe mode. In xp pro you can turn off simple file sharing and then have access to the security tab, are you sure you have home edition?

-=jonnyrotten=-