Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home network

• Please log in to reply

qqqqq

qqqqq

• Pip
  • 2 posts

This is a home network where one PC has a printer attached, which the others use. The printer owner runs Win XP Home. One of the other PCs runs Win XP Pro. Recently, I did a re-install on that PC because of issues after a failed uninstall of an antivirus program. Everything seemed to be OK except that when I tried to print to the network printer it just hung in the queue. I decided to reconnect to the network, using the wizard.  The PCs on the network are connected to a router which handles the broadband connection, some by cable and others wirelessly. I then deleted all the printers on the client PC and tried to add the network printer. The wizard says it can't find the printer. I re-installed the driver (Brother) - it was already in but I decided to replace it in case it was damaged - but still nothing. I can ping the printer server both by its network name and by its IP address (which is fixed). I am a bit at a loss since this is a dual-booting PC - WinXP Pro and Lubuntu. Lubuntu has no problem printing to the network printer.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Were SP3 and all updates installed after the re-install?

Have you tried using Network Places to browse to the printer then double click on it? That often works for me when the Install Printer wizard doesn't.

qqqqq

qqqqq

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry but I made a mistake in calling it a re-install. It looked a bit like it, but it was in fact a repair of the existing system, which is probably why it already had a version of the printer driver. I'll try out your suggestion and report back.

Update: It didn't work. I looked in Services and found that the Workstation service was stopped and would not start. Another PC running Win XP Home is able to  print to the server's printer.

Further Update: I came across a post saying that uninstalling the Client for Microsoft Networks and re-installing worked for them. I uninstalled, rebooted and ran the Network Wizard. Network Places now showed the shared files on the printer server. I re-ran add printer and this time it found the printer and a testpage printed OK.

Edited by qqqqq, 23 July 2014 - 12:20 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

That's good to hear, glad it's working.