Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blue screen random shutdown (tcpip.sys problem) help!

• Please log in to reply

jonaswakfield

jonaswakfield

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Can anyone help with my dilemma? A few months ago, my computer started getting the blue screen of death and crashing, and in the small window of time I have to read the error message before the computer shuts down completely, it says something about "tcpip.sys"....I am led to believe this is corrupted, and would love for someone to officially diagnose this and recommend a solution.

I have attached the minidump files.

The Technical Information read as follows:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

tcpip.sys - Address

Thank you so much!

-Jonas

Attached Files

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Please provide your system specs:

Make and full model number

How much memory

Which OS and is it 32 or 64 bit

Did you do anything to the computer around the time this started happening. Add or remove hardware or software?

Dumps, oldest to newest (they are quite far apart in time), windbg says probable failing module was:

nvlddmkm.sys     -  Nvidia driver, probable video card.

tcpip.sys              - all the rest are Microsoft OS files, unlikely to be the cause. Almost always some driver (like Nvidia)
USBPORT.SYS
tcpip.sys
tcpip.sys

So please update your video driver and see if that fixes the problem.

sofeyamiller

sofeyamiller

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello!

hardware drivers that are installed by third-party programs commonly cause this issue.

This issue is commonly caused by memory related issues. If you've recently installed any new memory into the computer, it's recommended that it be removed to verify it's not the cause of the issue. If after removing the memory this issue no longer occurs, you have either bad memory or it's mismatched with other memory currently installed in the computer.

Edited by sofeyamiller, 24 July 2014 - 01:34 PM.

jonaswakfield

jonaswakfield

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Please provide your system specs:

Make and full model number

How much memory

Which OS and is it 32 or 64 bit  

Did you do anything to the computer around the time this started happening. Add or remove hardware or software?

Dumps, oldest to newest (they are quite far apart in time), windbg says probable failing module was:

nvlddmkm.sys     -  Nvidia driver, probable video card.

tcpip.sys              - all the rest are Microsoft OS files, unlikely to be the cause. Almost always some driver (like Nvidia)
USBPORT.SYS
tcpip.sys
tcpip.sys

So please update your video driver and see if that fixes the problem.

I haven't added any hardware or software in the last 2 years.

I have 4 GB of Ram on a windows Vista 64 bit os. 

I updated the video driver and so far it is fine . . . .

jonaswakfield

jonaswakfield

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hello!

hardware drivers that are installed by third-party programs commonly cause this issue.

This issue is commonly caused by memory related issues. If you've recently installed any new memory into the computer, it's recommended that it be removed to verify it's not the cause of the issue. If after removing the memory this issue no longer occurs, you have either bad memory or it's mismatched with other memory currently installed in the computer.

Thank you for your reply. 

I haven't added any memory since getting the computer.  I don't do anything that would consume a lot of memory, the biggest consumer I use would be youtube, which is typically open when it crashes now that I think about it . . . does that help?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

You didn't answer most of my questions, nor does it look like you tried updating the video driver.

jonaswakfield

jonaswakfield

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

You didn't answer most of my questions, nor does it look like you tried updating the video driver.

OOPS.

I updated the video driver. 

A friend of mine built the computer so there is no make or model number. 

I did not do anything to the computer around the time this started happening, I have the same hardware as when I first got the computer and have not added any software since then except an antivirus which I've had for years before this problem. 

I think that's all the questions I missed, let me know if there are anymore. 

Also, it crashed again two days after updating the video driver software.  Report is attached.

Attached Files

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Dumps indicate the following causes:

FlashPlayerPlug
firefox.exe
System

FlashPlayerPlug would probably be Adobe Flash which runs in your Browser which is Firefox. Check to see if there is a update to Adobe Flash and Firefox.

Also, I suggest you test the memory:

Download Memtest86+ (you want the 2nd one Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)). Unzip it then create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do this easily.

DO NOT burn the .iso file directly to CD. It must be used as input to a program that knows what to do with it, like the one I mentioned above.

You can do this on any computer that has a working CD Burner.

You can also use a Flash drive instead of a CD.

Download - Auto-installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7) *NEW!*.
Unzip and run Memtest86+ USB Installer.exe.
It will format the flash drive if you tell it to. I used a small, 16MB flash drive and it had 8.5GB left when done.

Boot the CD or Flash drive and run Memtest86+ for at least 3 complete passes unless it shows errors sooner than that. An overnight run is even better.

jonaswakfield

jonaswakfield

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Dumps indicate the following causes:

FlashPlayerPlug
firefox.exe
System

FlashPlayerPlug would probably be Adobe Flash which runs in your Browser which is Firefox. Check to see if there is a update to Adobe Flash and Firefox.

Also, I suggest you test the memory:

Download Memtest86+ (you want the 2nd one Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)). Unzip it then create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do this easily.

DO NOT burn the .iso file directly to CD. It must be used as input to a program that knows what to do with it, like the one I mentioned above.

You can do this on any computer that has a working CD Burner.

You can also use a Flash drive instead of a CD.

Download - Auto-installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7) *NEW!*.
Unzip and run Memtest86+ USB Installer.exe.
It will format the flash drive if you tell it to. I used a small, 16MB flash drive and it had 8.5GB left when done.

Boot the CD or Flash drive and run Memtest86+ for at least 3 complete passes unless it shows errors sooner than that. An overnight run is even better.

Thank you for the information.

I updated adobe flash and firefox to the latest versions.

I ran memtest through 6 passes with no errors. 

I will post again if there is another blue screen crash.

Is there anything else you would recommend that I do?

Thank you

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

No, let's see how it runs for a while.

Advertisements

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

I seen firefoxexe mentioned!

Might think about up dating Firefox if your using it.

Mozilla Firefox 31.0 Now Available for Download

Edited by donetao, 29 July 2014 - 08:09 PM.

jonaswakfield

jonaswakfield

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

No, let's see how it runs for a while.

Ok, it crashed again.  :smashcomp:

Here's the report. 

Attached Files

jonaswakfield

jonaswakfield

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hello!

I seen firefoxexe mentioned!

Might think about up dating Firefox if your using it.

Mozilla Firefox 31.0 Now Available for Download

I just updated to the latest Firefox a day before it crashed again. 

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

No one uses this windows feature, but I use it all the time. It might give you a clue to why your PC is BSOD.

It's a interesting graft and shows the performance of your computer. Give it a look. It's already on your PC.

donetao.

http://www.howtogeek...ou-arent-using/

Imagine your computer has started flaking out and locking up for the last week, and you aren’t quite sure why. All you have to do is open up Reliability Monitor and check what happened to start the crashes in the first place. You can click on each day that has a crash, then go back in the list to before all the crashes started and figure out what was installed to make things break… and remove it from y0ur PC.

Edited by donetao, 30 July 2014 - 10:56 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Nice! I had forgotten all about it. Thanks