Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blue screen random shutdown (tcpip.sys problem) help!

• Please log in to reply

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

The last dump indicates LMouFilt.Sys:

Lmoufilt.sys with description Logitech Mouse Filter Driver. is a driver file from company Logitech, Inc. belonging to product Logitech SetPoint™. See if there is an update for the Logitech Mouse driver.

wmplayer.exe is also mentioned (Windows Media Player).

Also look at the Reliability Performance Monitor Donetao linked to, may show some interesting happenings.

Advertisements

jonaswakfield

jonaswakfield

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hello!

No one uses this windows feature, but I use it all the time. It might give you a clue to why your PC is BSOD.

It's a interesting graft and shows the performance of your computer. Give it a look. It's already on your PC.

donetao.

http://www.howtogeek...ou-arent-using/

Imagine your computer has started flaking out and locking up for the last week, and you aren’t quite sure why. All you have to do is open up Reliability Monitor and check what happened to start the crashes in the first place. You can click on each day that has a crash, then go back in the list to before all the crashes started and figure out what was installed to make things break… and remove it from y0ur PC.

I opened the tool and the only common thread I see is firefox.exe.  Everything else looks to be random with only one or two occurences of the application failing in the last two years.

The only problem I have with seeing firefox on there is becuase I always have it open, so I don't know if it's a coincide or if it's the cause of the problem.  

Should I worry about it enough to switch to browers?

jonaswakfield

jonaswakfield

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

The last dump indicates LMouFilt.Sys:

Lmoufilt.sys with description Logitech Mouse Filter Driver. is a driver file from company Logitech, Inc. belonging to product Logitech SetPoint™. See if there is an update for the Logitech Mouse driver.

wmplayer.exe is also mentioned (Windows Media Player).

Also look at the Reliability Performance Monitor Donetao linked to, may show some interesting happenings.

I didn't find a driver update for the Logitech Mouse Driver. 

Do the dump reports just list what was running when the system crashed or what caused the crash? 

Also have another dump report attached.  :killcomp:

Attached Files

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

Shot in the dark! You might try up grading Firefox to the latest version. I think it's up to 31 now.

What do you see in the Reliability Monitor right after a crash??

Edited by donetao, 30 July 2014 - 05:19 PM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

This is what my Monitor shows. It says Firefox stopped responding, but my PC did not crash and I know exactly why Firefox stopped responding. It actually froze and I had to use Task Manager and end the process. I did it several times, just to see what was going on.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture48.JPG
  • Capture48.JPG

Edited by donetao, 30 July 2014 - 05:29 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

The last dump is csrss.exe. No consistency in the dumps so no real idea what the base cause is, sorry.

At this point I would backup your data then start over with a Clean Install (preferred) or a restore to factory state.

jonaswakfield

jonaswakfield

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hello!

This is what my Monitor shows. It says Firefox stopped responding, but my PC did not crash and I know exactly why Firefox stopped responding. It actually froze and I had to use Task Manager and end the process. I did it several times, just to see what was going on.

Here's a screen shot of the reliablity monitor.  Almost every application failure is a different application.  I also updated firefox to the most recent verison. 

Could this be a problem with my graphics card?  Trying to fix this is getting really annoying.

Attached Thumbnails

• Reliabliity Monitor.jpg

jonaswakfield

jonaswakfield

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

The last dump is csrss.exe. No consistency in the dumps so no real idea what the base cause is, sorry.

At this point I would backup your data then start over with a Clean Install (preferred) or a restore to factory state.

That's about how I feel about this too.

Thank you for all your help.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

Ztruker's suggestion will fix any software problems, but won't help if you have hardware problems. Your Reliability Monitor looks a lot different than mine. There may very well be a clue there. Let Ztuker take a look at it before restoring back to factory. He may see some thing I don't see.

I have never seen what OS your running, posted in your topic. There can be a lot of reasons for BSOD. Like Ztruker said; your dump files are all over the place and aren't pointing to any one thing. Who Crashed has some good things about why you get  BSOD

Don't give up yet!

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Defining a strategy and getting the right attitude

You should think about a good strategy for troubleshooting system crashes and adapt a good attitude before starting out. Randomly trying this or that in combination with frustration and making the wrong assumptions will end you up drawing the wrong conclusions. Make sure that you write down all steps that you take down your path. Recognize and identify which are the hard facts and which have been your assumptions. For example, if a bug check occurs, you have a hard fact. As long as a problem does NOT occur, you still have no proof that the problem is solved because the problem not occurring might just be a temporary side effect or artifact of one of the actions that you have taken. Provoking a problem in order to find its root case is often a better strategy than "trying to solve" a problem without adequate information or knowledge. The Driver Verifier utility is great at provoking problems with Windows Drivers (see below).

Another good strategy may be to single out possible causes by doing some sanity checking. Read the suggestions below on Windows update, driver updates, temperature monitoring issues, disk checking, memory checking, antivirus checking.

Do you have a reproducible case ?

If you have a reproducible case of a bug check, you are in a better position than if the problem seems to appear just at random. Though as long as the problem does not occur you still have no proof that a problem is solved, having a reproducible case generally is a great help to solve a problem. Spending some time trying to find a way to reproduce a problem is often a good investment.

Suggestion: Windows update

It is suggested you turn on automatic updates or visit Windows Update regularly and keep your system up to date with the latest updates, drivers and service packs. That is because detected bugs and problems in Windows system components and drivers are fixed regularly and they might just be causing the problems you are facing. So keep your system up to date. Keeping your system up to date will not help you reveal past problems with drivers but will help you avoid them in the future.

Suggestion: Update your drivers

If drivers for some of the devices in your system are not available through Windows Update, you should visit the manufacturers site of your peripherals and download the latest drivers for them. That is because bugs and problems in drivers are fixed regularly. Installing the latest versions of drivers generally will help you avoid system crashes.

Possible cause of system crashes and resets: hardware failure

Sometimes system crashes are caused by faulty hardware. Getting a backup component for testing may help you identify a broken device.

Possible cause of system crashes and resets: overheating

While often overlooked, a very common cause of several types of system crashes, sudden reboots and shut downs is overheating. Consider if the problems you are facing are caused by a thermal issue. Read the topic thermal issues for further suggestions.

Possible cause of system crashes and resets: throttling

Related to a thermal issue your system may crash or reset because your processor clock speed is reduced too far by a variable clock speed feature such as Intel Speedstep or AMD Cool N Quiet. Check your clock speed and system temperatures. Follow thermal issues for more information.

Possible cause of system crashes and resets: disk errors

Run the CHKDSK utility on your system partition to check your disk for inconsistencies and hardware errors. Faulty hard disks can be the cause of all sorts of system crashes, memory corruption and more.

Possible cause of system crashes and resets: a virus or malware

Viruses and other malware are known to cause several types of system crashes. Getting a good quality virus scanner to do a thorough scan on your system may help you.

Possible cause of system crashes and resets: buggy antivirus, antispyware, firewall or other security product

A long list of poor quality security software in existence is known to cause all sorts of system crashes and misery on computer systems. The situation gets worse if multiple of such problems are used simultaneously. Make sure you never install two or more virus scanners at the same time.

Possible cause of system crashes and resets: memory corruption

A very common case of system crashes is memory corruption. Memory corruption often finds its cause in software and is caused by buggy drivers. Memory corruption may cause the wrong driver to become identified as responsible for crashing a system because drivers are privileged to access and corrupt each others memory. While more often the problem lies in software, memory corruption can also be caused by faulty or bad configured RAM modules. Most recent versions of Windows come with a memory test utility which can check your RAM modules for errors by pressing F8 during system startup. This will help you single out this problem as the possible cause.

Possible cause of sudden resets and shut downs: power failure

Consider if power interruptions or instability may be the cause of your system crashing.

Find information on the net: search with Google

To help you investigate a system crash it is often very helpful to search on the internet for discussions from users who have experienced similar problems. It will help if you include the bug check string, driver name and company and brand name and model of your computer in the query. WhoCrashed offers some links to Google queries for each bug check but you may get better results by combining and refining the search terms depending on the problem.

Consider using Driver Verifier

The Driver Verifier tool comes with most versions of Windows and is a great help at finding all sorts of problems in drivers by doing all sorts of sanity checks and provocations. If the suggestions on this page do not help you should consider using Driver Verifier to find the root cause of the problem.
Click here for more information on Driver Verifier.

Further reading

Follow Microsoft suggestions on how to deal with a blue screen of death:
Resolving stop (blue screen) errors in Windows 7

WhoCrashed documentation and articles

· Introduction
 · Supported Operating Systems
 · Professional Edition
 · What's new in v5 ?
 · Upgrade Policy
 · FAQ
 · Using WhoCrashed
 · Troubleshooting tips and general recommendations
 · Unexpected resets and shut dows
 · Enabling Crash Dumps
 · If crash dumps are not written out
 · Thermal Issues
 · Symbol Resolution
 · Using Driver Verifier
 · Remote System Configuration
 · Crash Dump Test
 · Advanced Options

Advertisements

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
Could this be a problem with my graphics card?  Trying to fix this is getting really annoying.

Yes! BSOD's are caused by software or hardware and drivers are just one cause.

My graphics are AMD, but see if this helps???

http://www.geforce.com/drivers

PS! I think Ztrucker recommended that you up date your graphics card in his  first replies :yes:

Edited by donetao, 31 July 2014 - 11:59 PM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

Have you solved your problem?? Do you need further advise? Did you up date your graphics card like Ztruker advised.

A reply would be appreciated!! :headscratch:

jonaswakfield

jonaswakfield

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hello!

Have you solved your problem?? Do you need further advise? Did you up date your graphics card like Ztruker advised.

A reply would be appreciated!! :headscratch:

Thanks for the reply, I needed to step away for a few days before I tore my hair out. 

I updated all the drivers already.  I updated all windows updates and ran antivirus/malware/adware/etc numerous time, I tested the memory and none of these things have helped.

I will continue to go throug the list you sent and give any updates on it. 

Thank you for your time.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

:yes:

My pleasure!