Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop display flickers on and off consistently on startup

desktop display windows 8 flicker

• Please log in to reply

ChristoffLaMaison

ChristoffLaMaison

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Hello all

I have an Advent branded laptop running windows 8, approx 1 year old. After logging on the desktop loads up as normal then a few seconds later the display flicks off and back on, and off, and on ad infinitum every second or so until the machine is shut down.

When booting in safe mode with networking the problem doesn't occur. In safe mode I'm able to look at the system management tool and can see the events in question under the Application section (see attached screenshot showing recurrence of the event each second or so). The faulting application is quoted as explorer.exe. Extra error detail can be provided if required.

Any clues what is wrong? I've never experienced anything like this before on previous versions of Windows!

Help would be much appreciated.

thanks

CLM

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Give this a try: How to Troubleshoot a Problem by Performing a Clean Boot in Windows 8 and 8.1

ChristoffLaMaison

ChristoffLaMaison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Give this a try: How to Troubleshoot a Problem by Performing a Clean Boot in Windows 8 and 8.1

Thanks for the reply. I did a bit of googling after starting this topic and saw a few people mention Norton 360 as the cause. Uninstalled Norton and working fine now. Churs.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Thanks for the reply. I did a bit of googling after starting this topic and saw a few people mention Norton 360 as the cause. Uninstalled Norton and working fine now. Churs.

Yet, another issue caused by Norton. I should start bookmarking all these threads that report issues caused by Norton and compile them into one mega-thread I could link to people asking why not to use Norton.
However, I strongly suggest you to not stay without an Antivirus, are you planning on installing another one ?

ChristoffLaMaison

ChristoffLaMaison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I was hoping Windows Defender would do the trick. Had Security essentials on Win7 and that worked a treat. Do you recommend others over Defender?

Do I need to do anything to deactivate Defender?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

I was hoping Windows Defender would do the trick. Had Security essentials on Win7 and that worked a treat. Do you recommend others over Defender?

Do I need to do anything to deactivate Defender?

Windows Defender is recommended over MSE to be used under Windows 8+, like recommended here :

Don't use Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows 8

However, you would benefit more by using a more "complete", if I may say, Antivirus solution. There's free solutions that exists too such like Avast! free or Avira free that I consider being the two best free Antiviruses at the moment.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

I use Windows Defender and Malware Bytes Anti Malware Pro. I see no need for any other AV software.

Just my $.02 worth :)

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

I use Windows Defender and Malware Bytes Anti Malware Pro. I see no need for any other AV software.

Just my $.02 worth :)

This is a good combinaison too because Windows Defender have limited features compared to other Antiviruses, but you get these extra features from the paid version of Malwarebytes :P
Personally, I would buy an Antivirus solution first, and use the free version of Malwarebytes after, only pay for it if I have money left, but a good Antivirus can still do a pretty good job if you are careful and browse the web safely :) Also, using Malwarebytes free as a secondary, on-demand scanner is good too !