Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PS3 will not read discs. Dvd,Cd,Blu-Ray,games

PS3 Console Stopped reading discs

• Please log in to reply

HelpMeHelpYou

HelpMeHelpYou

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

I have a Playstation 3 160GB, bought brand new, 3 years ago. It wouldn't read discs so i ordered a new Disc reader, Changed the part and a week into playing on it it will not read discs again. The part was bought new i ordered another new reader changed it out and still nothing. Please if anyone has had this issue let me know what im doing wrong.. Thanks in advance The reader is a KEM-450 DAA out of a PS3 Slim 160GB console

Advertisements

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

Howdo.

From experience, it is normally poor quality lasers. They can be very unpredictable.

It can also be if the mechanism is out of alignment but you would normally notice that straight away.

HelpMeHelpYou

HelpMeHelpYou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Thanks ruggie_uk for the reply! I hear & take in what your saying, It worked fine for almost 3 years. and was giving me error codes and i could hear it spinning trying to play even got the spinning disc icon in the top of the screen. But after i changed the Reader and everything worked for a week or so it doesn't spin, read, or give an error code. Could it be something else? By you saying "mechanism is out of alignment" Do you mean the drive and plastic deal that lifts the disc up to read? Because i had problems getting that back in the right position to read when i replaced the laser the first time. Could that have moved during game play? I know if its not spun to the correct point it doesn't lift/work, Any help would be greatful :no:

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

Yes the drive and plastic guides etc. Once in position, they shouldn't move again but if a bit of plastic is broken then maybe everything isn't connecting properly.

A good way to test is to leave th elid off the drive and observe the behaviour of the drive, see if it collects the disk smoothly and puts everything in place properly. If it isn't correct, you can hear small ticking noises and see the disk movement that you can't really hear when it's assembled.

When its the laser, the disk will go in smoothly but then do nothing, no spin at all because the laser checks the disk before it starts to spin.

A broken drive ribbon can also cause this but on a slim they are pretty solid and clip in easily unlike the older models that have the brown clips.

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

You could also try a file system repair. This can cause strange issues as well, normally the blu-ray driver that goes haywire.

HelpMeHelpYou

HelpMeHelpYou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Is there any diagram that shows exactly how the tray is supposed to be lined up? Iv searched all over the internet and can not find any info on this problem. and Playstation will not help me because iv broken the seal on the unit! Grrr Iv also tried the file repair but didn't change anything :(

Edited by HelpMeHelpYou, 25 July 2014 - 02:19 PM.

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

To be honest I tried to find a good guide also but didn't have much luck. The first I did I experimented until I got it right. I will look around some of my old haunts and see if anything has been put up.

HelpMeHelpYou

HelpMeHelpYou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Thank you ruggie_uk I have messed with it until i was to the point of wanting to throw it on the ground and stomp it a few times but i figured i would check with others before engaging in target practice :)

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

Hi,

Found this earlier as I was browsing. may help.