Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 8 Tablet question (Asus ME400C)

• Please log in to reply

sundance2014

sundance2014

• Pip
  • 5 posts

How do you make tiles and desktop icons for programs installed? Also where do some programs go. I have installed a few programs and most og to the

program files folder but I have a few (like Dropbox) I can not find.

Thanks

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

:welcome:

Hi Sundance,

Yes i have found some programs in Windows 8 or 8.1 when installed do not create a desktop icon or a start menu icon.

One way with desktop icon, go to the program folder where the software is installed usually Program Files (x86) or Program Files.

Look for the application exe.file right click it and select create a shortcut, or just drag and drop to desktop also pin to taskbar, pin to start.

Now pin to start will most likely will pin it to the tiles area, not all apps area.

Now this is what i do to put programs into all apps screen, it's the same place as above go to the place where the application execution file is right click/hold it, select copy.

Usually this folder is hidden, so go into the control panel and click on Folder Options, view and select "show hidden files, folders and drives". You can go back and change this afterwards if you want.

Now click/double tap and open the C: drive, scroll down to the folder  ProgramData and open that, then go to Microsoft Folder open that, then Windows folder open that , then to the Start Menu Folder open that.

This is where all your apps are in the start menu.

Now right click/hold in an open area and select New and Folder,rename the NewFolder the program you want it to be,click/tap to open the folder and right click/hold  and select paste the App. exe. in it.

Close all open drives, you may have to do a restart to see it there, when you do go to the Start Menu and you should now see the program, try the program out to see if it works.

Do the same to all other programs you need this for.

sundance2014

sundance2014

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

:welcome:

One way with desktop icon, go to the program folder where the software is installed usually Program Files (x86) or Program Files.

Look for the application exe.file right click it and select create a shortcut, or just drag and drop to desktop also pin to taskbar, pin to start.

Problem is they are not in the program files folder ( a couple, most are). I looked there first and was going to creat a shortcut from there just like you discrbed.

I'll keep looking and trying things.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

O.k. let me know, do not think they are in the Users folder, Program Files (x86) or Program Files, sometimes in Program Files take a look in the common files folder there.

What Programs are these exactly ? Or what type.

You can try to reinstall them to make sure a desktop shortcut was selected during the installation, it will just overwrite the install if you do, sometimes there is a repair selection.

Edited by jds63, 26 July 2014 - 01:25 PM.