Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer randomly reboots

• Please log in to reply

akhilnutakki

akhilnutakki

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have had this problem for a while now..
It's not anything overheating. Can someone tell me how I can opt to always display a Blue screen error rather than the computer rebooting.

Thank you.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. Welcome to Geeks to Go. Random reboots are usually caused by heat, memory, driver issues or power supply. You need to investigate each possibility to rule it out. Use the event viewer to give you a clue as to which way to go. Go to my computer, right click manage, and view the event viewer. Look for ones with a red x corrensponding to the time of the crash. Right click properties to view the details. You can also send a message to M$ and view their knowledge base for additional details and possible solutions. This will give some direction to your troubleshooting.

akhilnutakki

akhilnutakki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks..I'll look into it soon.

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
If your running Windows XP try this:

Open Control Panel\System\Advanced tab\startup & recovery box\settings button, and take the check out of Automatically restart box. Then check the Write a system event, and the Admin alert boxes.
This will force a BSOD on the next crash (thats why it restarts...its crashing) that posts the Stop Error Code.

Post that here word-4-word including punctuation and letter case. We can research that.

B

SkyHi

SkyHi

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

If your running Windows XP try this:

Open Control Panel\System\Advanced tab\startup & recovery box\settings button, and take the check out of Automatically restart box. Then check the Write a system event, and the Admin alert boxes.
This will force a BSOD on the next crash (thats why it restarts...its crashing) that posts the Stop Error Code.

Post that here word-4-word including punctuation and letter case. We can research that.

B

View Post

Be careful though, as he said it isn't overheating, it quite possibly might be. If you keep the computer running after is has overheated, you can hurt your computer more than it'll help to see the stop message.

-SkyHi

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Yes, very true, good point. :tazz:

I would absolutely check out the event viewer, as well for more info.

B

sw204me

sw204me

• Pip
  • 4 posts
So I have been having a problem with my PC randomly rebooting, I did some searching and found this site, and did what you all suggested and made it so I got the blue screen before it reboots, here it what I got:

http://smg.photobuck...t=101_61931.jpg

http://smg.photobuck...t=101_61941.jpg

http://smg.photobuck...t=101_61951.jpg

http://smg.photobuck...t=101_61961.jpg

At the very top it said PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and at the bottom I had:

STOP: 0x000000050 (0xeFFFFFF8, 0x00000000, 0x8054A51A, 0x00000002)

Any help at all to why my PC keeps randomly rebooting would be awesome, thanks.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi sw204me, please start a new topic and post your request there. Adding to an old thread is never a good idea and just confuses things.

Thankyou,

spanton2

spanton2

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Just a quick question as i have been having similiar problems. I have run windows memory diagnostic and usually on the second test my memory fails. I have run with one stick at a time and also in different slots and they do not fail by themselves but when run together it fails. Could this also be caused by overheating?

I'll post my computers specs when i get home tonight.