Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Running Slow

windows 7 32 bit + 64 slow applications 4gb ram intel i5 Gigabyte

• Please log in to reply

Skyfer

Skyfer

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
After changing my OS from Microsoft Windows 7 (6.1) Ultimate Edition 32-bit to 64-bit, when running several files/programs/etc. at once, the process(es) becomes slower, usually but not always, when switching tasks. 
I was thinking that it could be the lack of RAM for the sustenance. If that was the case, is upgrading from 4GB to 8GB a solution, or is/are there any better solution (other that reverting to 32-bit)? 

Below are my desktop PC specifications:

Detalis From CPU-Z 1.70.0
Processor: Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67GHz
Motherboard: P55A-UD3P by Gigabyte Techonology Co. Ltd.
Memory: Kingston 4GB (2x 2048 MB) DDR3 | Dual Channel | NB Freq. 2131.7Mhz | DRAM Freq. 666.2MHz
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770

Possibly Relevant Information
PSU: Extreme Power Plus 500W (Product No. RS-500-PCAR-A3)
Casing: Cooler Master CM690

Hope you can help out. =/

Advertisements

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

I recommend Crucial to see if your RAM can be up graded. They can be trusted and have been around for ever!

http://www.crucial.c...0140726194959:s

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

4GB should be sufficient.

What programs are you running when you see the slow down?

What does Task Manager, Process tab show you when this happens?

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello! If you don't want to add more RAM, Ztruker has posted some good advise. Task Manager should show if your using all your RAM. I usually only use 1/2 my RAM

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture49.JPG

Skyfer

Skyfer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Hello!

I recommend Crucial to see if your RAM can be up graded. They can be trusted and have been around for ever!

http://www.crucial.c...0140726194959:s

Hello donetao!

I never heard of this, thanks for sharing; I tried it out after and this was the result.

Referring to the result, if I added in two 4GB DDR3-1333 RAM in the other 2 slots, will that help solve the issue, and will the Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit be able to fully utilize the full RAM of 12GB?

Also, will the 500W PSU is able to supply the entire PC unit after the addition of the new set of RAM?

4GB should be sufficient.

#1: What programs are you running when you see the slow down?

#2: What does Task Manager, Process tab show you when this happens?

Answer for #1: Running games, flash video (Youtube, NND, etc.) within browser, Adobe Dreamweaver, etc. I tend to use 2 to 4 browsers at once as well. However, the slow down almost never happened when I was using Windows 7 32-bit previously if I remember correctly.

Answer for #2: Please see attachment.

if 4GB really is sufficient due to the above, what could be the reason for the slow down then?

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot 2014-07-27 11.06.22.png

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello Skyfer!

Cruicial says you can have a total of 16384MB of RAM. These big numbers get me confused, but I think that's 16GB. That's a lot of RAM. All I can say for sure is, if RAM is slowing you down and you add the max, you should see a difference. Crucial has a great return policy.

Ztruker says you have enough RAM and I'm not going to argue. All I've ever read says adding RAM is the cheapest way to speed up a slow computer.

Thank you for your reply.

doneato!

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture48.JPG

Edited by donetao, 27 July 2014 - 01:32 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Post a picture or Task Manager Performance tab so we can see memory utilization.

Also post pic of Task manager Processes tab, but click on the CPU column header to sort it by CPU Utilization descending,

Gaming would probably benefit from more memory, surely would not hurt.

Skyfer

Skyfer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Hello Skyfer!

Cruicial says you can have a total of 16384MB of RAM. These big numbers get me confused, but I think that's 16GB. That's a lot of RAM. All I can say for sure is, if RAM is slowing you down and you add the max, you should see a difference. Crucial has a great return policy.

Ztruker says you have enough RAM and I'm not going to argue. All I've ever read says adding RAM is the cheapest way to speed up a slow computer.

Thank you for your reply.

doneato!

Hello donetao!

Thanks for replying and for informing. They helped add to my consideration. =)

Post a picture or Task Manager Performance tab so we can see memory utilization.

Also post pic of Task manager Processes tab, but click on the CPU column header to sort it by CPU Utilization descending,

Gaming would probably benefit from more memory, surely would not hurt.

The pictures are attached and were taken at different times but both during slow down.

Hope they will assist appropriately.

I do game; the heaviest is Disney Infinity, and I realise the part about the memory benefit.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_2014_07_26_00.41.39.png
  • Screenshot 2014-07-28 11.55.14.png

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello Skyfer!

You screen shot is showing 92% RAM is being used. That would slow you down.

I'm not good with numbers, but the graft is telling me your memory is nearly all being used.

I have 6GB  of Ram. Here's my performance graft!

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello Skyfer!

I'm not good with numbers, but the graft is telling me your memory is nearly all being used.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture48.JPG

Advertisements

Skyfer

Skyfer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Hello Skyfer!

Hello donetao!

That is what I suspected as well when the slow down happened when I ran several processes simultaneously, and was thinking if I should increase RAM to rectify and also was hoping for a more effective solution and will go with that instead if available.

Do you think the increase in RAM will solve or is/are there (a) better solution(s)?

Also it's the first I heard of performance graft, what is graft in relation to performance for that?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hello Skyfer :)

Pardon my intrusion as this could be totally unrelated but, can you download and execute MiniToolBox, then check the "List Installed Programs" option, click on Go and once the scan is done and the report open, copy/paste it's content here in your next reply ?

Thank you !

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello! Aura!

There is no such thing as a intrusion as far as I'm concerned.I think it's great when other members want to help the OP.

Welcome aboard. Thank you for your suggestion. I know they say to many chiefs spoil the soup.I don't agree with that.

If there was always just one solution to these kinds of problems; it would be great, but it doesn't work that way in the computer world.

I have read many your other replies and you give good solid advise. I need to learn about MiniToolBox.

Thank You!

donetao

Skyfer

Skyfer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Hello Skyfer :)

Pardon my intrusion as this could be totally unrelated but, can you download and execute MiniToolBox, then check the "List Installed Programs" option, click on Go and once the scan is done and the report open, copy/paste it's content here in your next reply ?

Thank you !

Hello Aura  :)

Unrelated or not, as long as it assists in solving, I'm all eyes 

Attached is the report you requested. Hope that helps. =)

And hi donetao. =)

Attached Files

Edited by Skyfer, 28 July 2014 - 09:49 PM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

HI! :wave: