Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Running Slow

windows 7 32 bit + 64 slow applications 4gb ram intel i5 Gigabyte

• Please log in to reply

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Here's a few recommendations for you :
  • Uninstall both Adobe Flash Player 13 ActiveX and Adobe Flash Player 13 Plugin and install the latest version (14) from here. Do not accept the McAfee Security Scan Plus offer, uncheck the box.;
  • Uninstall Java 7 Update 55 and install the latest version (Java 7 Update 65) from here. Do not accept the Ask Toolbar offer during the installation.;
  • Uninstall WinRAR 4.00 (64-bit) and install the latest version (WinRAR 5.10) from here;
Also, uninstall the programs that you don't use anymore :)

Advertisements

Skyfer

Skyfer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

• Uninstall both Adobe Flash Player 13 ActiveX and Adobe Flash Player 13 Plugin and install the latest version (14) from here. Do not accept the McAfee Security Scan Plus offer, uncheck the box.;
  • Uninstall Java 7 Update 55 and install the latest version (Java 7 Update 65) from here. Do not accept the Ask Toolbar offer during the installation.;
  • Uninstall WinRAR 4.00 (64-bit) and install the latest version (WinRAR 5.10) from here;

Thanks Aura, I've done the first 2.

Any reason to update WinRAR? It's been working really well for me and I'm unsure if it will affect the license.

About uninstalling the unneeded programs, I do that occasionally so that my PC isn't cluttered with un-necessaries:)

And the issue still persists =/

I'm pretty sure the slow down isn't caused by malware/trojan/etc. since the slow down happens only when running several files/programs/etc. simultaneously.

Other possible cause that I could think of is the lack of memory. Could that be it?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Any reason to update WinRAR? It's been working really well for me and I'm unsure if it will affect the license.

About uninstalling the unneeded programs, I do that occasionally so that my PC isn't cluttered with un-necessaries:)

I'm pretty sure the slow down isn't caused by malware/trojan/etc. since the slow down happens only when running several files/programs/etc. simultaneously.

Other possible cause that I could think of is the lack of memory. Could that be it?

I didn't know you had a licence for WinRAR. I don't know if their licence support version upgrade too, you would have to validate with the information they sent you with it. Also, even if it's not needed to update WinRAR, you might have issues with managing .RAR archives that have been created with WinRAR V5+ as it's a modified algorithm that V4 might not support totally.

And how much memory (RAM) do you have in your computer ? What multiple programs are we talking about here ?

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello! Did you not read post #1?? The OP has 4 slots and 4GB of ram.

And how much memory (RAM) do you have in your computer ? What multiple programs are we talking about here?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Donetao, people forget. Most are working in several threads so also get facts confused. A gentle reminder is much better than a smack on the head :)

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Donetao, people forget. Most are working in several threads so also get facts confused. A gentle reminder is much better than a smack on the head :)

Sorry! Didn't mean to be harsh. At 76 years young, believe me I forget a lot of things and I'm always confused.

Thanks for your reply Ztruker!

You're doing a great job here. I think it's great when we all work together to solve members issues.

Skyfer

Skyfer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Sorry for the late reply!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't know you had a licence for WinRAR. I don't know if their licence support version upgrade too, you would have to validate with the information they sent you with it. Also, even if it's not needed to update WinRAR, you might have issues with managing .RAR archives that have been created with WinRAR V5+ as it's a modified algorithm that V4 might not support totally.

And how much memory (RAM) do you have in your computer ? What multiple programs are we talking about here ?

The popup requesting license was annoying so I got myself a licence, and Aura up till now I never had a problem with the version I'm using. 

I'm curious though, is that previous version really affecting my slow down, and if it is, how so?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

donetao has answered the RAM part, but I'll repeat anyway:

Aura(you): how much memory (RAM) do you have in your computer ? 
Skyfer(me): Kingston 4GB (2x 2048 MB) DDR3 

Aura(you): What multiple programs are we talking about here ?
Skyfer(me): http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/uploads/monthly_07_2014/post-352411-0-20346800-1406519819.png
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/uploads/monthly_07_2014/post-352411-0-17370000-1406519866.png 

Hello! Did you not read post #1?? The OP has 4 slots and 4GB of ram.

And how much memory (RAM) do you have in your computer ? What multiple programs are we talking about here?

Ztruker, what's your opinion/suggestion on my issue?

Sorry! Didn't mean to be harsh. At 76 years young, believe me I forget a lot of things and I'm always confused.

Thanks for your reply Ztruker!

You're doing a great job here. I think it's great when we all work together to solve members issues.

:thumbsup:

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
No, an outdated version of WinRAR won't affect your system performance, I was just putting general recommendations as it's important to have it's software up to date to have an healthy system (Windows).

What multiple programs do you have open when the computer starts being slow ?

Skyfer

Skyfer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

What multiple programs do you have open when the computer starts being slow ?

Aura, donetao and I have already answered that question.

Please check previous posts for the answer.

Anyway, the issue is now solved by upgrading the RAM from 4GB to 12GB through the addition of 2 of the same 4GB Kingston DDR3-1333 RAM sticks placed in the same dual-channel slots

Thanks for your help and feedbacks donetao, Ztruker, and Aura:thumbsup:

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

My pleasure! :spoton:

Advertisements

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
My two cents :whistling:

Look at the Task Manager screenshot. How many Torch instances do you see running? Aura, what about your research skills? :P

Torch is considered to be a foistware. Go to Control Panel and uninstall it. The improvement should be noticeable.

Cheers,
Naat :)