Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mac won't start up, repair, verify, mount, anything

• Please log in to reply

Incoming

Incoming

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Hi,

Let me start off by saying that I do not need to retrieve any of the data on my mac. It would be nice to have my pictures but I can live without them. 

I think that this is a result of having Windows 8.1 installed on a partition and then after I deleted that partition (with Bootcamp assistance) I started to notice problems. My OSX partition was incapable of reclaiming the entire 500 GB HD so I was left with 250 GB.

I ran some updates through the app store the other day and then today is when everything went downhill. I turned on my Mac this morning and it was really slow so I tried closing apps. I opened up a game to play (LoL) and it froze, so I powered off the computer.

I tried turning the laptop back on but it got stuck at the spinning wheel screen so I figured I had to repair it. When I went to disk repair, it couldn't verify the disc and it couldn't repair it either. I had gone in in the recovery mode found by holding option at boot, but the Macintosh HD 250 GB (not the live 500 GB one) was greyed out and couldn't mount or anything. I never made a backup.

So then I tried wiping it and installing OSx from scratch in the Disk Utility but still to not avail, because when it gave me options for where to install it, the only options were the recovery drive and the EFI drive, both under 2 GB total memory.

I'm unsure of what to do. Currently the laptop is in Internet Recovery mode and I'm waiting for it to boot up, but I doubt it is going to work at this point. Since I don't need the data or anything am I able to bring the laptop into the Genius store and have them fix it or whatever needs to be done? I feel like this is the type of thing that Apple would pull a $500 charge out of the air to fix. At the very worst case scenario I could return it to my school and have them fix it under my warranty, but I'd really rather fix this from home.

Does anyone have any personal experience or know what I should do?

Thanks.

Advertisements

HelpMeHelpYou

HelpMeHelpYou

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Hi Incoming

Have you tried to restore from Time Machines Backups? in your Mac OS X Utilites..

You don't need to run terminal from install disk. You can log into either verbose mode or single user mode - restart and immediately hold down either command s or command v - to get to a command line.

1. Boot off the OS X CD (reboot, hold C while booting).
  2. The installer will load up, go to Utilities in the menu and run Terminal.
  3. Type df and look for the drive that has your Mac system mounted---you'll have to unmount this. On my MacBook Pro, it was /dev/disk0s2.
  4. Type umount /dev/disk0s2, replacing disk0s2 with whatever disk your OS lives on.
  5. Type fsck_hfs -r /dev/disk0s2. If you umounted the wrong thing, it will complain that you can't repair a mounted drive. Go back and umount the right thing and repeat this step.

Also you might want to run another fsck_hfs on your disk (use the -f option because your drive is probably journaled). By the way, TechTool Deluxe (3.1.1) didn't find the Catalog problem for some reason (you'll have this on a CD if you have AppleCare), which is why we resorted to fsck.

(Make sure to back-up so this never happens again!)

Edited by HelpMeHelpYou, 31 July 2014 - 08:11 PM.

Incoming

Incoming

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

I unfortunately didn't wait 5 days.. now my hard drive seems to be dead. I reinstalled OS X from the Internet Recovery option and now it won't boot  up. I don't have an OSX disc anyway.

It gets to the loading screen and just loads forever