Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding a second HD to an old Dell GX520

• Please log in to reply

JEISEN

JEISEN

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

I hope this is the right place to post this.

I haven't used the floppy in for-ever. Is it possible to put the second one in that empty floppy bay?

I have a vented hard drive holder/case that has existing screw hole tabs. But it looks like I would have to drill holes. Could someone tell me/link me to a step by step? TY!

Advertisements

HelpMeHelpYou

HelpMeHelpYou

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

I may be wrong here (Please anyone correct me if i am) This system will take only one floppy, one hard drive, one optical drive!

The only way you would be able to add a second hard drive to this system is if you remove the optical drive or install an external drive..

Or buy one big HD to replace the original HD

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Good point-I was thinking more about the wasted space than what the system could handle. 150Gb in it-might not ever come close to fillin' it! I b/u to flashes now. Just wanted to see if I could keep the b/u internal.

HelpMeHelpYou

HelpMeHelpYou

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Wait until other members post because i may be wrong. 2 heads are better than one. :P

HelpMeHelpYou

HelpMeHelpYou

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Something i just stumbled on. 

(In the on-line docs (GX520 Desktop User's Guide), you have a small outline computer without a lot of extra space.  The documentation shows that you have one SATA port and one PATA/EIDE channel.  The single SATA port is for the hard disk drive used for the system drive in this machine.

The EIDE channel will support two drives, but if you didn't order it that way you may have an IDE ribbon cable having only two connectors, one at each end for the motherboard and for the DVD/CD ROM drive.  If that is your situation you will need to purchase a three connector, 80 conductor, ribbon IDE cable from a local shop or one of the on-line vendors.  The cable should have a blue connector for the motherboard, a gray connector in the middle for a slave drive, and a black connector at the end for the master drive.)

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Wait until other members post because i may be wrong. 2 heads are better than one. :P

Yep-I'm in no hurry!-then I saw your other post-that's sweet! I don't recall my IDE config. But I will be checkin' it out after dinner! :popcorn:

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Took a look: I forgot that I had replaced the original DVD drive with a DVD burner. I was expecting an IDE burner but recieved a SATA. I didn't return it-tried to make the best of it. The IDE ribbon in there and not being used is a single. Can a SATA HD and an IDE HD co-exist in the same machine? Sorry-I might be missing the point-gettin' dizzy!!

HelpMeHelpYou

HelpMeHelpYou

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Most modern motherboards are equipped with connectivity for 2 sata drives and the usual IDE complement of room for 4 ide devices. Therefore most people can run 6 devices (note) that each sata connector MUST NOT be shared you may only connect 0 - 2 sata devices and 0 - 4 IDE devices. Though you can add more but remember, If you get to crazy with it you have to upgrade your power supply as well

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

That is good to know. I thought for example all drives had to be either all IDE or all SATA supplied/connected. Not gonna get too crazy here just a b/u drive.

Upon further inspection I forgot  I took the SATA burner out a while ago. So the regular dvd drive is IDE. Removed the floppy.  The existing HD is SATA.  I did find the other SATA port. Long story short-I'm short one SATA cable for the b/u HD. So this will have to wait. Thanks for all of the help-Help! :spoton:

old-fart

old-fart

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

it'd be good to know how things go. As pointed out psu is to be considred tho I suspect it won't be an issue. Given the construction of these pc's it is recommended to have hd running cool and a wd blue caviar recommended as it runs cooler than a barracuda  for example. Prob not to much of an issue tho I'd watch the temp and makle sure no grills are obstructed and fans clean and cables tucked aside to imptove airflow.

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

it'd be good to know how things go. As pointed out psu is to be considred tho I suspect it won't be an issue. Given the construction of these pc's it is recommended to have hd running cool and a wd blue caviar recommended as it runs cooler than a barracuda  for example. Prob not to much of an issue tho I'd watch the temp and makle sure no grills are obstructed and fans clean and cables tucked aside to imptove airflow.

Yeah I will post on results when I get back from vacation. Then I can get back to my "little computer project thingy" as it was sarcastically called! There is only one Molex and the dvd drive has that. The only SATA  I have is a 320 GB Barracuda which still has Vista on it. With the floppy gone there is an open space in the front of the case that will hopefully keep things cool. It looks bad with the open space but it's down at cat level. He's very apathetic about it's looks-unless it was stuffed with his food!  So a new WD is not out of the question. I just wanted to use what I had. It's a very nice case inside with everything bundled and good use of space.

old-fart

old-fart

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Then I'd worry about dust and cat's hair. Another thing with those dells is how purposefully built they are. What I mean they not only don't alow for much modding, unless you want to butcher it, they are also carefully built to run optimallty as they are. Perhaps comsider the airlow overall and consider what might happen if the floppy opening was not blocked by a floppy. Just not having the floppy there if not needed, tho there are situations where being able to plug one in can be useful,  can help cool the hd. I'd consider taping over the gap.

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

OK I did the second HD install about 15 minutes ago-typing this post from said PC. Newly installed drive shows up with drive letter. Able to access everything on it.  I don't want the OS just the space for b/u. Wiping this now installed should be no problem right? Used a shorter connection cable to keep things tidy. Drive fit in to floppy bay with side rail screws (right term?) There is space between original drive-new one and DVD. Front of new drive can be seen in open floppy bay. But it doesn't stick out. Is there a test or app I can run for internal temps to make sure this is OK? I was thinking of tape. I also have these little air filters that will fit in the open bay too. So how much time should pass before this is deemed a success? To get past the ka-boom factor?!