Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

eSATA Drive Recognition Problems

motherboard BIOS eSATA

• Please log in to reply

tomrhyne

tomrhyne

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I Just built a new i7-4790K system with 4 Samsung Pro SSDs and one WD Black 2 TB drive uusing Gigabyte Z97X- UD5H-BK mobo and Windows 8.1. All working well until I installed an eSATA drive. (Using this for backup.) Blew my mind for a while when the Optical drive didn't show up with eSATA connected until I found out that the Marvel chips will not support a mix of hard drives and optical. I then placed the eSATA on port 5 of the Intel chip and worked properly.

Now experiencing another problem. eSATA works correctly when using a Samsung HD642J (640 GB) drive. Drive is detected in BIOS and shows up in Disk Management, etc. Powered down and inserted a WD 30EZRX 3 TB drive and rebooted into BIOS. Drive not recognized in BIOS on same port that worked properly with 640GB drive. Continue to boot system and drive doesn't show up in Disk Management or File Explorer or Device Manager. In Intel Rapid Storage Technology the port with the eSATA drive status changes from empty, to unknown drive to occasionally showing the drive with 2.7+ TB of data and then going back to empty.

I placed the drive back on my Windows 7 system as an external drive and it is detected and works well.  If I reconnect the 640 Gb drive all is well.  Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:    tomrhyne

You have a lot of storage devices hooked up there so the first thing that I would like to check is ensuring that the PSU is adequate, please post the brand and model name or number for all hardware that is connected to the computer when the issue happens.