Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC does not sleep when it should [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts

Good News, your computer appears to be malware free! Both the Combofix log and the most current OTL logs do not indicate the presence of Malware.

Now I have some tasks for you to carry out as part of a clean up process and some advice about online safety.

Importance of Regular System Maintenance:

I advise you read both of the topics listed below. The suggestions contained them, if followed, will go a long way toward keeping your Computer performing well.

Help! My computer is slow!

Also so is this:

What to do if your Computer is running slowly

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following piece of code will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

Download and run Delfix

delfix.JPG

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programs:

Now some advice for on-line safety:

Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware:

This is a excellent application and I advise you keep this installed. Check for updates and run a scan at least once per week.

Other installed security software:

Your presently installed security application, Charter Security Suite(the AV component) automatically checks for updates and downloads/installs them with every system reboot and or periodically if the machine is left running providing a internet connection is active.

I advise you also run a complete scan with this also at least once per week.

Registry Backup:

Tweaking.com - Registry Backup, I advise you keep this installed as a means to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.

Myself I would actually create a new back up once per week as this along with System Restore may prove to be invaluable if something unforeseen occurs!

Note: As mentioned prior a tutorial for Registry Backup explaining the various features be viewed here.

Further reading/resources:

This is a very helpful/useful set of advice from Microsoft: Microsoft Safety & Security Center

As is this: Computer Security - a short guide to staying safer online

And these are worth reading also: Understanding Windows Firewall settings, Securing Your Web Browser and Securing Your Router.

Keep Your System Updated:

Microsoft releases patches for Windows and other products regularly:

• Click on Start(Windows 7) >> All Programs >> Windows Update.
  • In the navigation pane, click Check for updates.
  • After Windows Update has finished checking for updates, click View available updates.
  • Click to select the check box for any found, then click Install.
  • When completed Reboot(restart) your computer if not prompted to do so.

Plus check Automatic Updates is enabled.

Be careful when opening attachments and downloading files:

1 - Never open email attachments, not even if they are from someone you know. If you need to open them, scan them with your antivirus program before opening.

2 - Never open emails from unknown senders.

4 - Beware of emails that warn about viruses that are spreading, especially those from antivirus vendors. These email addresses can be easily spoofed. Check the antivirus vendor websites to be sure.

5 - Be careful of what you download. Only download files from known sources. Also, avoid cracked programs. If you need a particular program that costs too much for you, try finding free alternatives on FileHippo or MajorGeeks

Stop malicious scripts:

Windows by default allow scripts (which is VBScript and JavaScript) to run and some of these scripts are malicious. Use Noscript by Symantec or Script Defender by AnalogX to handle these scripts.

Avoid Peer to Peer software:

P2P may be a great way to get lots of seemingly freeware, but it is a great way to get infected as well. There's no way to tell if the file being shared is infected. Worse still, some worms spread via P2P networks, infecting you as well. It's really important, if you value your PC at all, to stay away from P2P file sharing programs, like utorrent, Bittorrent, Azureus, Limewire, Vuze. Criminals have "planted" thousands upon thousands of infections in the "free" shared files. Virtually all of these recent infections will compromise your Security, and some can turn your machine into a useless "doorstop".

I will further add; P2P software has the ability to create a direct conduit onto your computer, their security measures are easily circumvented, and Malware writers are increasingly exploiting them to spread their infected dross onto your computer. Further to that, if your P2P software is not configured correctly you may be sharing more files than you realise. There have been cases where people's address books, passwords, other personal, private and financial details have been exposed to the file sharing network by a badly configured P2P applications

My friendly advice is to avoid these types of software applications.

Consider the below extra/layered security for your machine:

Custom Host File:

A Hosts file is like a phone book. You look up someone's name in the phone book before calling him/her. Similarly, your computer will look up the website's IP address before you can view the website.

Hosts file will replace your current Hosts file with another one containing well-known advertisement sites, spyware sites and other bad sites. This new Hosts file will protect you by re-directing these bad sites to 127.0.0.1.

Here are some Hosts files:

Only use one of the above!

CryptoPrevent Tool:

How to prevent your computer from becoming infected by CryptoLocker

WinPatrol:

WinPatrol alerts you about possible system hijacks, malware attacks and critical changes made to your computer without your permission.

Download it from here.

You can find information about how WinPatrol works here.

Next:

Any questions?

Advertisements

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Starting a couple days ago, it has happened at least a couple times that I cannot get my monitor to wake up. I click the mouse, hit some keys and nothing happens. I have to power off the PC, then power it back on. What would have caused this?

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts

Sorry, I'm a Malware guy, not Hardware. Perhaps querry someone on the Hardware portion of the board.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Delfix is done.

"Your presently installed security application, Charter Security Suite(the AV component)"...

"Tweaking.com - Registry Backup, I advise you keep this installed"...

I don't believe I have either of these installed.

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts

Delfix is done.

Good :)

"Your presently installed security application, Charter Security Suite(the AV component)"...

"Tweaking.com - Registry Backup, I advise you keep this installed"...

I don't believe I have either of these installed.

Canned speech that I should have edited better. Apologies.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Do you recommend that I install these?

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts

No, you already have an A/V that is working fine.

I only backup the Registry if I'm going to edit values in it.

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.