Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Display driver AMD driver has stopped responding (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

When I'm trying to view a youtube video with Chrome, I get the error message:"Display driver AMD driver has stopped responding and has succesfully recovered." I have seen this error a few times before, but since I upgraded to Windows 8.1 (fresh install) I get it all the time. If I use Internet Explorer then youtube works just fine. Also I can play graphically demanding games like Starcraft II and Watch_Dogs without any problems.

I also got the message immediatly after starting up Windows. After a few times glcnd.exe is denied access to the graphics driver. This apparently is the process belonging to the Reader App, which I don't need anyway and uninstalled. This solved this part of my problem.

I have already tried several fixes:

Disableing the Chrome Flash plugin (pepflashplayer.dll) and instead using my system's flash player (NPSWF32_14_0_0_145.dll)

Reïnstalling the ATI drivers and trying the Beta version.

Setting the Windows power options to High Performance instead of balanced.

I also set the TDRdelay in the registry to 8. After this, instead of getting the error message above about 10 times in a row, I get it only once and after that chrome.exe is blocked from accessing my graphics hardware. I can view youtube video's, but without proper hardware accelleration. When viewing 1080p video's on full screen it results in bad framerates. This is not what I want so still the problem is not fixed.

My specs:

Motherboard: Asus M4a79T Deluxe (AM3, 790FX) (I have overclocked the memory frequency to 1600 Mhz, but the problem is still there at 1333)
Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition (3,4Ghz) (quad-core)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB 2 x 4 GB - DIMM 240-pins - DDR3 - 1600 MHz / PC3-12800 - CL9 - 1.5 V
Graphics Card: MSI Lightning Boost Radeon HD 7970 3GB

The BIOS drivers are version 3503 which are the most recent ones.
Most recent Windows updates are installed.
Temperatures are OK.
I have not yet ran MemTest for either my graphics card or DDR3 memory, but I really don't think this is a hardware problem. The Corsair RAM is just a few months old and I am only experiencing this problem in chrome and not when playing games.

Im really out of idea's and that's when it's time to ask in the only place I know where real experts hang out. Please help me.

Edited by DeZiekeNon, 27 July 2014 - 09:03 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Hello DeZiekeNon,

Have you tried disabling IE altogether, Control Panel > Programs - Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off > Uncheck the IE 11 box > restart the computer and test.

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

I have just tried it. Doesn't make a difference.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Do you have any crash dumps;

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.
2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.
3. Upload the zip folder using the Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box 

To see if we can identify any driver conflicts please refer to the copy/paste details below provided courtesy of jcgriff2  :thumbsup: 

1. Create a Windows System Restore Point -

Vista - START | type rstrui - create a restore point
Windows 7 - START | type create | select "Create a Restore Point"
Windows 8/ 8.1 - Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows*8) | HP® Support

2. Run Driver Verifier -

Windows 7 & Vista - START | type verifier 
Windows 8.1 & 8 - Press WIN +X keys | select "Command Prompt (Admin)" | type verifier 

Make these selections - 

1. Select 2nd option - Create custom settings (for code developers)
2. Select 2nd option - Select individual settings from a full list

3. Check these boxes -

▪ Special Pool 
▪ Pool Tracking 
▪ Force IRQL checking
▪ Deadlock Detection
▪ Security Checks (new as of Windows 7)
▪ Concurrency Stress Test (new as of Windows 8)
▪ DDI compliance checking (new as of Windows 8) 
▪ Miscellaneous Checks

4. Select last option - Select driver names from a list
5. Click on the Provider heading - sorts list by Provider
6. Check ALL boxes where "Microsoft" IS NOT the Provider
7. Click on Finish 
8. Re-boot
[/HIDE]

- If the Driver Verifier (DV) finds a violation, it will result in a BSOD

- After re-start, you may not be able to log on to normal Windows

... • Boot into SAFEMODE - tap the F8 key repeatedly during boot-up

... • Select "System Restore"

... • Choose the restore point that you created in step #1

- For Driver Verifier status

--- select last option, 1st screen -or-

--- type verifier /query (in a cmd/DOS screen)

- To turn Driver Verifier off - verifier /reset then re-boot

- The Driver Verifier needs to run as long as possible - even if the status screen appears clear.

- All future BSOD dumps must be VERIFIER_ENABLED_MINIDUMPs - otherwise the dump(s) are of no use

If your system does BSOD while the Driver Verifier is running, please retrieve the dump file from C:\windows\minidump and attach it to your next reply.

If you don't get an instant blue screen leave DV running for at least the next 2 days, don't worry as it will not affect performance in any way whatsoever.

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

I followed the steps above. After configuring the verifier I rebooted. No BSOD or trouble logging on. I typed verifier /query in cmd and it produced a list in less than a second. It's not continuously running. Am I doing something wrong? Also there is no minidump folder in C:Windows. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Driver Status

The Driver Status property page gives you an image of the current status of Driver Verifier. You can see what drivers the verifier detects. The status can be one of the following:
Loaded: The driver is currently loaded and verified.
Unloaded: The driver is not currently loaded but it was loaded at least once since you restarted the computer.
Never Loaded: The driver was never loaded. This status can indicate that the driver's image file is corrupted or that you specified a driver name that is missing from the system.

You can click the list header to sort the list by driver names or status. In the upper-right area of the dialog box, you can view the current types of the verification that are in effect. The status of the drivers is updated automatically if you do not switch to manual refresh mode. You can modify the refresh rate using the radio buttons in the lower-left area of the dialog box. You can also force an update of the status by clicking Update Now. 

If you enable the Special Pool flag and less than 95 percent of the pool allocations went to the special pool, a warning message is displayed on this page. This means that you need to select a smaller set of drivers to verify or add more physical memory to the computer to obtain better coverage of the pool allocations verification.

Check that crash dumps are enabled following the steps here

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

I don't know where I can find the driver status you are talking about. 

My crash dump settings are exactly the same as in the screenshot in the link you posted. The only difference is that my default OS is Windows 8.1 instead of Windows 8. Does 8.1 maybe have a different directory for the dump files?

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

I use this to up date my AMD grafics! You may want to opp out of Raptr. It's a bunch of games offered by AMD!

http://support.amd.c...uto-detect-tool

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Hello!

I use this to up date my AMD grafics! You may want to opp out of Raptr. It's a bunch of games offered by AMD!

I don't have any trouble undating my drivers. Also I chose to not install the Gaming Evolved App, because I don't need it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Driver status is what you should have seen when you typed verifier /query in cmd.

Those are the correct settings so what it means is that your system has not crashed.

Redo the DV steps from the beginning please then post back, do nothing else such as checking the status for at least a couple of hours.

Advertisements

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

I don't have any trouble undating my drivers. Also I chose to not install the Gaming Evolved App, because I don't need it.

Hello!

OK Sorry I bothered you.

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

I found the Driver status page. Was reading a bit too quickly. There is one driver with status "Never Loaded". Namely dump_dumpata.sys. The status of all the other drivers is "Loaded".

Why should I run it again?

Edit: I tried running it again, but I get the message "No settings were changed".

Edited by DeZiekeNon, 27 July 2014 - 10:42 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Then you had done it correct in the first instance, leave DV running for an hour or so of normal computer usage and post back with an update.

dump_dumpata.sys is a driver created to provide disk access during crash dump file generation so it not loading again suggests that your computer has not crashed.

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

But what do you mean by leaving DV running? Just have the window opened?

Also I can just force a crash by starting a youtube video in Chrome. If that helps..

Edited by DeZiekeNon, 27 July 2014 - 11:13 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

DV runs in the background so no need to have a window open.

As I said use the computer as you normally would, if that involves watching youtube videos then fine.

Can I ask what anti virus protection you are using.