Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gigabyte board not posting (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

I am trying to find out why this computer will not post

The board is a Gigabyte GA - M68M - S2P (rev 2.3)

CPU is AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+

Ram is Kingston KVR800D2N5K2/2G 1.8v

Video is 8600gt and onboard video

PSU is an OCZ-ZS550W

When i connect all these pieces out of the case i get beeps (3 long 1 short) and it beeps like that either with the 8600 or the onboard graphic

I tried the ram in each of the 2 slots and in 1 slot and in each slot (individual) and with the 2 ram sticks individually and its the same (3 long beeps 1 short), then tried it with the ram sticks out (no ram) I get 4 long beeps

To test I tried it without the cpu attached and then i get no beeps.

Is it the motherboard or the CPU that is faulty or did I miss something.

Your help would be greatly appreciated

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Alzeimer

Have you checked the CPU pins and MB socket.

Has the CMOS battery been pulled in case of a bad BIOS setting.

Are you using a wired or wireless type keyboard, I prefer using the PS/2 type for testing purposes just in case the USB ports are disabled or bad.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Thanks for your answer philpower2

Checked the pins and they look ok

The motherboard socket seems to be in good shape

I did reset the cmos and no change

I am using a PS2 keyboard

I tried to find the beep codes but none at Gigabyte info matched the beeps i get.

And after serching the net some suggestion (most0 were about either ram not seated well or cpu not seated well.

I reseated both rams and cpu, cleaned with air the ram slots and cpu socket

Also i tried the ram in another pc and they work, the video card also works so does the PSU so the only thing left is either the CPU (no board to check it) or the motherboard (no other cpu to check it)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

I also cannot find any 3 long and 1 short error beep code anywhere, do you happen to know what the BIOS chip is AMI or Award/Phoenix.

The fact that you get no error beep when the CPU is removed may suggest that the CPU and socket are ok, this due to the change in the behaviour which means that the fault is after the CPU has been checked as part of POST.

Can I ask how the issue first came about.

You are welcome btw  :)

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

It is not my computer, this motherboard and cpu were given to someone, that person put in a case with all the hardware needed to make it work but he was never able able to make it work so he asked me to try to fix it for him.

(for information I did check the cpu if compatible with the board and it is)

If I check the information on Gigabyte website it is an Award Modular BIOS ver 6.00PG (I have not seen it since it has not booted yet)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

You have a hard task on your hands then as you have no idea how the items were treated or what actually caused the issue.

Have you tried the MB, CPU, one stick of Ram, onboard video chip and PSU only.

Do you get anything showing on the display when the board it going through the POST.

Have you checked the capacitors and the soldered circuits of the MB.

Try a known good PSU if you can if only to rule out the present OCZ one.

The Award BIOS explains the different beep code as it was obviously made specifically for Gigabyte. 

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

I did try another know working PSU

Also tried it with one stick and onboard, one stick and 8600gt and i never got anything to show on the screen.

The board looks new (almost) well kept, no dirt and all capacitors look in good condition.

One thing I did not think of writing is that the beeps go in a loop (long beeps last maybe 2 seconds and short is maybe 1 second) after the short beep there is maybe 3 to 4 second break then it starts again.

Unless you or someone else comes up with an idea I think I will have to wait until i get my hand on another compatible cpu or board to test them on.

Thanks again 

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Update

Even if the cpu socket on the motherboard looked clean and I had used air on it i decided to clean with alcohol (70%) and after drying it and using air to make sure it is dry it booted and seemed to be working great up to now.

I guess there was something sticky stuck inside the socket that the alcohol helped dissolve.

Thanks for your help

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Another one of lifes mysteries Alzeimer  :wacko: 

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for sharing the solution  :thumbsup: 

You are welcome btw  :)