Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Pro 64 - Suddenly running extremely slow

Windows 7 64 Bit Computer Slow Lag

• Please log in to reply

nofx1728

nofx1728

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

I have Windows 7 Pro 64.  I haven't noticed any changes to my computer but over the last week it is becoming almost impossible to work on.  Normally I would just reformat and start from scratch, I want to get an SSD drive anyways for my boot drive.  But I can't find my windows disc so I'm stuck trying to solve this issue.

Processor - Intel Core i7-2600 CPU@ 3.4 ghz

Memory - 16GB

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570

I have 2 RAID setups on the computer and a standalone boot drive.

I've run CCleaner.  I've defrag hard drive.  I've run Malwarebytes.  I changed antivirus from AVG to Avira.

I have my processor overclocked to 4400mhz.

I'm running at 21-25 degrees C

Motherboard at 27 degrees

Help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• ss1.jpg
  • ss2.jpg
  • ss3.jpg

Advertisements

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

Your screen shots look great. I don't see a memory or RAM issue. You could possible have malware problems.

Please post make and model number. Most PC's these days have back to factory partitions if your wanting to start from scratch.

doneato!

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
You are barely using any resources, I'm surprised that you say that it's running slow.
Are you using Intuit QuickBooks too ?

http://quickbooks.intuit.ca/

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

You are barely using any resources, I'm surprised that you say that it's running slow.

I agree! We have a excellent malware team that can help if you think you have been infected. Malware will really slow you down.

What Anti-Virus program do you use. I hope it's not Norton :laughing:

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

I agree! We have a excellent malware team that can help if you think you have been infected. Malware will really slow you down.
What Anti-Virus program do you use. I hope it's not Norton :laughing:

From the process list screenshot that he have, I can see that he's using an Avira product.

nofx1728

nofx1728

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

I had AVG up until a few days ago.  I heard Avira uses less resources so I decided to switch to see if it would help.  Didn't work.  This is OEM setup that I built so I don't have factory settings.  When I scan with malwarebytes and Avira it says I am clean of infections.  Yes, I have quickbooks 2014 installed.  But it has been installed for several months and I just experienced these issues in the past week.  I'll post in the malware section and have them take a look also.  Thanks for the replies.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

I had AVG up until a few days ago.  I heard Avira uses less resources so I decided to switch to see if it would help.  Didn't work.  This is OEM setup that I built so I don't have factory settings.  When I scan with malwarebytes and Avira it says I am clean of infections.  Yes, I have quickbooks 2014 installed.  But it has been installed for several months and I just experienced these issues in the past week.  I'll post in the malware section and have them take a look also.  Thanks for the replies.

Hello! Sounds good to me. They are busy in the malware section, so have patience. They will test you for rootkits and all that good stuff.

Good luck!

donetao

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

If you want to reinstall: 

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation DVD, or it's not up to the Service Pack level currently installed, you can download a legal copy with SP1 integrated from here:

Windows 7 Direct Download Links

Make sure you get the same version you have, Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate and 32 or 64 bit. Note that Basic or Starter is not available.

I recommend using ImgBurn at 4X speed (or the slowest available) to create the DVD from the downloaded .iso file. Just be careful during the install not to accidentally install some of the bundled junk that comes with it. Always take The Custom Install option.

You can do this on any computer capable of burning a DVD.

YOU MUST HAVE A VALID KEY TO INSTALL THIS .ISO.
The one on the COA sticker on your computer will work.

If you are just using the Recovery Console you do not need a key.

You can also create a bootable USB Flash drive (4GB or larger) to install Windows 7 from.

• Download and run Universal USB Installer Easy as 1 2 3
  • Select Windows 7 from the first drop down list, all the way to the bottom
  • Select the downloaded Windows 7 iso file
  • Select your USB flash drive
  • Click Create

For techies or folks who work on computers:

Create Windows 7 Universal ISO With All Editions Selection On Install with ei.cfg Removal Utility.

This will fit on a 6GB flash drive or can be burned to a DVD.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

If you want to reinstall: 

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation DVD, or it's not up to the Service Pack level currently installed, you can download a legal copy with SP1 integrated from here:

Windows 7 Direct Download Links

Make sure you get the same version you have, Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate and 32 or 64 bit. Note that Basic or Starter is not available.

I recommend using ImgBurn at 4X speed (or the slowest available) to create the DVD from the downloaded .iso file. Just be careful during the install not to accidentally install some of the bundled junk that comes with it. Always take The Custom Install option.

You can do this on any computer capable of burning a DVD.

YOU MUST HAVE A VALID KEY TO INSTALL THIS .ISO.
The one on the COA sticker on your computer will work.

If you are just using the Recovery Console you do not need a key.

You can also create a bootable USB Flash drive (4GB or larger) to install Windows 7 from.

• Download and run Universal USB Installer Easy as 1 2 3
  • Select Windows 7 from the first drop down list, all the way to the bottom
  • Select the downloaded Windows 7 iso file
  • Select your USB flash drive
  • Click Create
For techies or folks who work on computers:

Create Windows 7 Universal ISO With All Editions Selection On Install with ei.cfg Removal Utility.

This will fit on a 6GB flash drive or can be burned to a DVD.

He can also use ProduKey to grab his product key on his current Windows installation.

nofx1728

nofx1728

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Thanks, I just downloaded it and got my key.  I'm going to order an SSD today and install windows 7.  Hopefully I don't run into any issues.  Thanks for your help with this!!!!

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Thanks, I just downloaded it and got my key.  I'm going to order an SSD today and install windows 7.  Hopefully I don't run into any issues.  Thanks for your help with this!!!!

You'll notice a good difference with your new SSD, I can tell you that. Also, I suggest you to give this guide a good read :

Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs

It's a must-read for anyone that wants to run Windows 7 on a SSD/HDD setup !