Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading o/s and cpu questions

• Please log in to reply

aaaa44

aaaa44

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

I am upgrading from XP to Win8.1 64bit and also upgrading my cpu and video card at the same time.  These are my computer specs:

Motherboard: ASUS P5G41T-M LX PLUS, Intel G41 Socket 775 

O/S: XP Home 32 Bit, SP3, version 2002

RAM: 4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3, 1333 MT/S

CPU: Intel Celeron Dual Core E1200, 1.6 GHz, 512K, 800 MHz, OEM, Advanced

Intel G41 Express Chipset

Performance Series, Allendale, socket 775

PSU: Power Up 450 Watt ATX

HD: WD Caviar SE, 320G, IDE

Monitor: Samsung 2032NW, SyncMaster, 5ms, 3000:1, Dynamic Contrast, 20”

DVD burner: Memorex multi format, double layer

CPU fan:Ultra X Wind, aluminum socket

All I do with my computer is surf the internet, watch Youtube videos, and keep records in Word documents.  

Someone recommended the Dual Pentium E6800.  Is this the best choice for my computer?  Which video card would be a good choice?  I've heard that video cards around $30 would be more than adequate for my uses.  Do I need a different cpu fan or psu for the new processor?  Is it safe to buy Win8.1 from anyone selling at the lowest price?  Do I need to download the win8.1 drivers from the Asus site?  Thanks for any replies.        

Edited by aaaa44, 29 July 2014 - 02:13 PM.

Advertisements

HelpMeHelpYou

HelpMeHelpYou

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Could i ask why you are upgrading the CPU & Graphics card? Not saying not to do this. Im just wondering what the reasons are. (Slow response time,Just because)

aaaa44

aaaa44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

My computer runs fine, but some have suggested upgrading the cpu because doing so would increase speed significantly for little money and a video card card would improve performance and free up RAM that would otherwise be used by the onboard video chip.

HelpMeHelpYou

HelpMeHelpYou

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Aura

phillpower2

donetao

iammykyl

These guys are the best at what the do. If there is anyone i would trust here it would be them!

Edited by HelpMeHelpYou, 29 July 2014 - 05:24 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Looking on the motherboard CPU support list, > https://www.asus.com...S/HelpDesk_CPU/

We see it is a Intel socket 775 (does not support i3, i5, i7).

and Yes, the E6800 is supported, and would be the best choice,

Specs > http://www.cpu-world...,603_23,493_20/

but, outdated socket type, would be extremely hard to find, expensive.

Not a viable CPU upgrade, would be wasting your money.

A add on video card would give better performance, (PSU needs to be taken into account,)  but I would advice looking at a new computer.