Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hi I followed a link here and got myself in trouble

• Please log in to reply

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, hope you all don't mind another tech interuption here, however way back on I think post 106, you said "my fan broke a lil bit ago.. i have to get that fixed.. is that causing some of these issues?ill definetly take care of that asap..."

I just want to check that you did indeed get that broken fan replaced. If not please do so as soon as possible, the CPU running as hot as the Speccy report showed will eventually damage it, the fan is there to help keep the CPU cool, without it the CPU will overheat and eventually fry itself.

So if you haven't yet replaced it, I would recommend doing so before any other work is done.

Nev.

Advertisements

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

hello.. im following the links steps... i cant find recovery manager... then i read the top and it says... this...This document pertains to HP and Compaq computers that came with Windows 7...  will i need to use different way since my computer was custom built?

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

20140806_152835_resized.jpg

hi. nev... i must confess i havent... i set up a fan right beside.. blowing into the computer... my computer has a big plastic..ill link a picture... that is what i was going to tackle next.. my daughter was sick this week.. and ive put it off... im just not sure which exactly to buy.. 

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

would these directions be ok to follow?      http://www.sevenforu...age-backup.html

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

would these directions be ok to follow?      http://www.sevenforu...age-backup.html

Yes!!

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi again, I will leave the backup business to the others helping you on that. I can later make suggestions regarding buying an external hard drive and putting a mirror image on to the external hard drive, that will give you a complete back up of everything including the Windows 7 operating system. However for now follow the advice you have been getting regarding the initial backup.

The fan replacement though is a matter of firstly identifying exactly what holds it in place, screws or clips, and being sure that you do not disturb the metal finned heat sink underneath it.

The wiring will be a plug onto the motherboard which may have a clip to press in before pulling it off, (Some have a clip some don't)

Once you have the entire fan removed, there will hopefully be a label somewhere on it giving a make and model number, either a direct replacement or an equivalent can then be ordered. We can possibly find a distributor or dealer to order from or if there is a computer and parts dealer in your town, they may be able to help.

Nev.

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

20140806_160414_resized.jpg 20140806_160443_resized.jpg 20140806_160823_resized.jpg

ok... thanks so much.. in meantime ill be doing the back up... i took these.. to give u an idea... there are 2 internal fans.. that are working.. one in back.. one inside.. its the big on on the outter side that stopped.. it also has 4 lil fancy shmancy lights that still work... thats why i thought putting a fan would be ok... because its where it is.. here are pics

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

question.. im trying to follow the instructions... on the pictures they provide.. they are saying to save it to hard disk... but there is no place to do that when my computer searches... there is special instructions for windows 7 professional saying i can save to a network location... however... when im prompted.. its saying i should save to dvd ... is saving to dvd ok?

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, is it just that clear plastic fan on the cover that isn't working? If so for now leave the cover off and still use that outside fan running.

The important fan is the big black lump with the Intel sticker on it, if that is running, and it does look a little dusty around the white cable above it, so there may be dust clogging up the stuff under the black one. As mentioned earlier, a couple of short blasts from a compressed air can might help to dislodge it. Use the air in short bursts, long bursts can send liquids out which won't do anything any good and cause other problems.

Nev.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

Yes! But it would be better to buy a external HD like Plastic Nev suggested. External HD's are cheap. I have a seagate ITB where I store my images.

I use Macrium Reflect to create my images. Here's a whole range of external HD's

http://www.newegg.co...Category/ID-414

These are all back up images created with Macrium Reflect!

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture48.JPG

Advertisements

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

yes nev.. the one with intel sticker is working... and ya.. it is kinda clogged up.. ill get that compressed air..and clean it out.. and doneao.. ok.. ill create the disc.. the way i asked.. for now.. and look into getting external hard drive.. ive been wanting to get one anyway..

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

I also use Macrium to both create images and also to create a clone to a spare hard drive that can be fitted should the original die.

I did write a full tutorial regarding creating a clone with Macrium which is on another help forums magazine. (I am on staff there but don't know if posting links to it is allowed).

However if you know the full ins and outs of Macrium donetao, I will leave you to carry on if she wishes to go down that more reliable way of backups.

Canadianchicklet, if you also use a small and not nylon soft brush to help loosen the dust, it should make a good improvement, the overheating may actually be the reason why the game wouldn't run properly in the first place. The CPU automatically slows down over a certain temperature to try and help prevent further heat.

Nev.

Edited by Plastic Nev, 06 August 2014 - 03:17 PM.

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

im backing it up... and it said to put another cd in .. i guess there wasnt enough room.. so i did.. and now its saying.... are u sure u want to format this meda.... the media needs to be formatted before it can be used... formatting will completely erase all data on the media... is that ok??

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

ok.. what about a toothbrush?.. and i quickly looked on kijiji for external hard drive.. there is a guy selling a 1 tb one a block away.. i can quickly grab if he answers me.. so i dont have to wait to order online :)

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

nvm... i found another set of instructions.. thats a lil more... geared to puter blondes haha.. i have a few 4.7 gb discs ready:)