Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer slower than I remember and some random redirects.. Checkup ba

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

Hi Incoming :)

You had asked:

Is there a difference between Java runtime and regular Java updates? I uninstalled it, I'll just leave it like this

No, they are just different versions.  There are many different names.  I do not have any Java installed and do not have any issues running without it.  Many others have done the same ;)

I don't normally have computer problems.. I just go on league and some websites I've been on for years

These days about anywhere can be infected.  Most regular downloads come with added items that if you don't pay close attention are going to give you additional programs you do not want.  Adobe and Java want to give you Ask or Mcaffee or a bad AVG security toolbar and more.  Recently the ImgBurn download wanted to add Conduit.
 And these boxes are checked by default!  Uncheck the box and you're pretty ok (so far)   You have to really pay attention. 

To that end, and just in case, because websites ~ even basic program updates like Adobe have Add Ons you're not there to get, there is a tool that will help. :D
 It's called Unchecky. The link is ~> here<~  It will automatically uncheck boxes in download windows.
 That is not to say you don't have to pay attention any more, it just gives you an edge ~ a start of not checked boxes (in most cases so you do not automatically get junk you do not want.  To help make it a little easier.  Check the video at the site and see what you think.  I think it's pretty cool and thought it might help :)

Instructions there are easy for Unchecky:

Click on the link above to be taken to Unchecky.com
Click the very large Download button.
Click Save
Click Open folder

Right click on the Unchecky_setup  uncheckysetupicon.png  or folder and choose to Run as Administrator

Once open click the Install button.

uncheckysetupwindow.png

Then click on Finish

uncheckyfinishsetupwindow.png

Unchecky is now installed and will help you keep unwanted check boxes unchecked ;)

Ok, everything looks pretty good, a couple of things yet to go.. What I'd like to see is a complete OTL scan as follows so I may do my best to make sure there's no junk left behind.

Please follow the instructions below:

Fresh OTL Scan

• Please right click on xotlicon_png_pagespeed_ic_fh_U5UM1EN.jpg on your Desktop, choose Run as Administrator, accept UAC prompts.

Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.

• Please check the box next to Scan All Users.

• And under Extra Registry check also the radio dial by Use Safelist  :)

OTLextraregistry.jpg

• Click the xrunscan_png_pagespeed_ic_5vmMCx0K2t.png button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.

• When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL ~ Desktop

• Please copy (Edit ~> Select All,  Edit ~> Copy) both the two logs it produces in your next reply.  One will be open, extras.txt will be minimized on the taskbar.

When you return please post:

1.  How is the computer behaving now ?
2.  OTL log
3.  extras.txt

Thank You :)

Advertisements

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

Hi Incoming :)

It's been a few days.  Do  you still require assistance or do you need more time? 

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.