Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to Uninstall Internet Explorer 8

Internet Explorer 8

• Please log in to reply

robsoti

robsoti

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

This started with issues with McAfee Total Protection GUI: some items not displaying. McAfee forum folks indicated it might be an issue with IE, Java, or Visual C install.

After pulling up IE 8 (this is my wife's lap top; I don't use it much) I noted that there was a popup window saying the search engine was corrupted and that it was going to the default (BING in this case; the other two add-on search engines were ASK and McAfee's Site Advisor). I loaded CHROME on her laptop which performs much better. I went to the Program/Features UNINSTALL section (This is windows 7 home premium 64 bit) and right clicked on IE 8 which showed a popup with UNINSTALL/CHANGE it it. I then clicked on this and IE 8 disappeared from the program list without so much as a "do  you want to do this" or anything. I noted that the program is not deleted but still doesn't run very well. I did a reset (reset all the internet options back to the default). I ran one of microsoft's IE fix it programs which didn't seem to find anything wrong.

While I do not have any love for IE products, I think I need to have this reinstalled (probably as version 9) for the other interface issues. I updated the JAVA to the latest. Not sure how to re-install the Visual C stuff. I may need to hire this out to professional help.

It is difficult to uninstall IE8 from the Program/Features if it isn't in the list. I am sure there is an uninstall.exe in there somewhere, but I am unfamiliar with its usage.

I will be out of town for a few days, away from the laptop, but will see responses on my phone.

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi robsoti :)

May I ask you, are you running Windows XP here ? Because as far as I remember, Internet Explorer stopped showing up as a "program" in the installed program list of Windows starting at Windows Vista. What I would do, is to redownload it and reinstall it via the Windows Updates. For this, you would go in your Windows Updates Control Panel, go on Windows Updates website, click to look for updates for your system and install every Important Updates found. And yes you're right, while Internet Explorer can "not be used", if you remove it or break it, some applications on your system might not work on it as they depend, rely on Internet Explorer. Remember that IE is part of the core of Windows and if it breaks or is damaged, other applications and features will.

What I suggest you to do also, is to insert your Windows XP installation CD, open an elevated command prompt (command prompt opening with admin credentials) and enter the following command :

sfc /scannow
The SFC (System File Checker) checks for the integrity of system files and repair them if they are damaged, corrupted, infected, etc. Because IE is part of Windows, it have system files associated to it that CAN be repaired using this command.

Let me know how it goes.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

It is difficult to uninstall IE8 from the Program/Features if it isn't in the list. I am sure there is an uninstall.exe in there somewhere, but I am unfamiliar with its usage.

I will be out of town for a few days, away from the laptop, but will see responses on my phone.

Hello!

First thing. You never want to uninstall Internet Explorer. Bill Gates does not like that. You can disable it, but I don't recommend that either.

You can try over the top install of IE. The latest version is IE 11.

Internet Explorer is used for windows up dates; so IMHO, not a good idea to disable it.

See if you can install it here!

http://windows.micro...dwide-languages

Oopps Sorry Aura!

(This is windows 7 home premium 64 bit)

OP says he's running W7

Edited by donetao, 30 July 2014 - 06:23 AM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Hello!
First thing. You never want to uninstall Internet Explorer. Bill Gates does not like that. You can disable it, but I don't recommend that either.
You can try over the top install of IE. The latest version is IE 11.
Internet Explorer is used for windows up dates; so IMHO, not a good idea to disable it.
See if you can install it here!
http://windows.micro...dwide-languages
Oopps Sorry Aura!

The OP is most likely running Windows XP, which means that he cannot upgrade to more than Internet Explorer 8 donetao. Internet Explorer 11 is only supported on Windows 7 and above.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
The OP is most likely running Windows XP, which means that he cannot upgrade to more than Internet Explorer 8 donetao. Internet Explorer 11 is only supported on Windows 7 and above.

Ok! Thanks for info. Good to know. I have Explorer 11. Was just going by what the OP said he was running. He may have some other issues also.

I will monitor this topic and help if I think I have a good suggestion.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Ok! Thanks for info. Good to know. I have Explorer 11. Was just going by what the OP said he was running. He may have some other issues also.
I will monitor this topic and help if I think I have a good suggestion.

Oh wait, you're right. He IS running Windows 7 Professional ... How come then that Internet Explorer 8 is showing in the installed programs list ? It shouldn't be like that. Usually, Internet Explorer cannot be "uninstalled" except from the Windows Updates and this is if you want to downgrade to an older version of IE. Otherwise, it's disabled via the "Turn Windows feature On/Off" panel.

robsoti

robsoti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Gentlemen,

OS is Windows 7 Home Premium. Came with IE 8. Has not been upgraded to IE9 or above.

Maybe it is now fixed as far as not appearing in the Program delete list, as you say. Then I would need to just upgrade it another version.

I believe from what I have read is that it should not have been there the first place, but you can effectively disable it by turning it off via the Windows Features option. Does this sound about right.

Edited by robsoti, 30 July 2014 - 06:57 AM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Gentlemen,

OS is Windows 7 Home Premium. Came with IE 8. Has not been upgraded to IE9 or above.

Maybe it is now fixed as far as not appearing in the Program delete list, as you say. Then I would need to just upgrade it another version.

I believe from what I have read is that it should not have been there the first place, but you can effectively disable it by turning it off via the Windows Features option. Does this sound about right.

Yes it sounds right.
However, I recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of Internet Explorer 11 to fix it (upgrading it usually fix all issues you have with it), and then to turn it off via the Windows Features option if you want.

Download link : http://windows.micro...dwide-languages

Pick your language and Windows 7 version. Then download the installer and install IE.

robsoti

robsoti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Sounds like a good plan, unless somebody has a better idea. I will do this when I get back in town.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

IMHO its not a good idea to turn IE off. You can type "Windows Features" in the search bar and then uncheck it.

I can't think of any reason to do that???

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture48.JPG

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Hello!
IMHO its not a good idea to turn IE off. You can type "Windows Features" in the search bar and then uncheck it.
I can't think of any reason to do that???

The only advantage you get in turning Off Internet Explorer, is that you don't see it's icons in the Start Menu, that you can also remove ...
Simple as that. I would leave it enabled as just for the record, Skype depends on IE and if you disable it, Skype could start acting in a weird way.

robsoti

robsoti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Copy all that. I am finding several windows apps use IE or portions of it.  Certainly will look into upgrading to get rid of some of its odd behavior recently.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Copy all that. I am finding several windows apps use IE or portions of it.  Certainly will look into upgrading to get rid of some of its odd behavior recently.

Before upgrading it, I would just run the SFC /scannow like I described below, restart my computer and THEN install Internet Explorer 11. After that, you could report back if you have any issues with the new installation.

robsoti

robsoti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Copy all. Will look into this next week when I am back. Thanks again folks.

robsoti

robsoti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Did SFC/verifyonly. Everything ok. Not sure when I when I will get to it. Takes a long time with my slow DSL to download anything. Chrome is working ok at the moment.