Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Path appears ok, but doesn't work at Command Prompt

• Please log in to reply

sbohanan

sbohanan

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Good morning.  I have PC that is getting strange errors.  I believe it's related to a problem I've found at the Command Prompt.  When I start the command prompt, I can't run any commands unless they are in the local directory.  The only way I can run commands like ipconfig, or whatever, is to navigate to the Windows/System32 directory.  Does anyone have any ideas?  I've attached what I get when I type "echo %path%".  Everything looks right there.  It just doesn't seem to be working.

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Dell\DW WLAN Card;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Services\IPT;C:\Program Files (x86)\NTRU Cryptosystems\NTRU TCG Software Stack\bin\;C:\Program Files\NTRU Cryptosystems\NTRU TCG Software Stack\bin\;C:\Program Files\Dell\Dell Data Protection\Access\Advanced\Wave\Gemalto\Access Client\v5\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\OEM\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\OEM\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\OEM\12.0\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Roxio\OEM\AudioCore\;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files (x86)\PaloDEx Group\IAM\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\OpenCL SDK\1.1\bin\x86;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\OpenCL SDK\1.1\bin\x64;C:\Program Files (x86)\Dentrix\

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi sbohanan :)

May I ask you, when you open the command prompt (from the Run command or Start Menu), what is the current directory where it's located in ?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi,

Good morning.  I have PC that is getting strange errors.  I believe it's related to a problem I've found at the Command Prompt.  When I start the command prompt, I can't run any commands unless they are in the local directory.  The only way I can run commands like ipconfig, or whatever, is to navigate to the Windows/System32 directory.  Does anyone have any ideas?  I've attached what I get when I type "echo %path%".  Everything looks right there.  It just doesn't seem to be working.

There is one error on the registry that we need to fix, first I need you to collect some info for me:

Download SystemLook from one of the links below according to your OS Architecture and save it to your Desktop.
SystemLook (32-bit)
SystemLook (64-bit)
  • Double-click SystemLook/SystemLook_x64 to run it.
  • Accept the prompt Allow the program to make changes to this computer (UAC prompt)
  • Copy the content of the following codebox into the main textfield:
    :reg
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
  • Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.
  • Note: The log can be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Also, please post the result of entering echo %SystemRoot% from a Command Prompt. It should respond with C:\Windows.

sbohanan

sbohanan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hi sbohanan :)

May I ask you, when you open the command prompt (from the Run command or Start Menu), what is the current directory where it's located in ?

It opens in the user's home directory.  In this case, C:\Users\Private_1

sbohanan

sbohanan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hi,

There is one error on the registry that we need to fix, first I need you to collect some info for me:

Download SystemLook from one of the links below according to your OS Architecture and save it to your Desktop.
SystemLook (32-bit)
SystemLook (64-bit)
  • Double-click SystemLook/SystemLook_x64 to run it.
  • Accept the prompt Allow the program to make changes to this computer (UAC prompt)
  • Copy the content of the following codebox into the main textfield:
    :reg
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
  • Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.
  • Note: The log can be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

Thank you, SleepyDude.  Here it is. Attached File  SystemLook.txt   3.97KB   305 downloads

sbohanan

sbohanan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Also, please post the result of entering echo %SystemRoot% from a Command Prompt. It should respond with C:\Windows.

Ztruker,

It does, indeed, give C:\Windows.  I can type cd %SystemRoot% and end up in the C:\Windows folder.  Then I have to type cd system32, where I can then run such commands as ipconfig.  Unless I'm actually in the directory the executible is in, I can not run it.  It's as though the path variable isn't being properly recognized by the system, even though it contains the exect same data as 2 other PCs.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Thank you, SleepyDude.  Here it is. attachicon.gifSystemLook.txt

Thanks, now I have the information needed to create a fix for you, give me some time...

sbohanan

sbohanan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Thank you, SleepyDude.  Here it is. attachicon.gifSystemLook.txt

Thanks, now I have the information needed to create a fix for you, give me some time...

Thank you.  I appreciate the help.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

The steps that I am about to suggest involve modifying the registry. Modifying the registry can be dangerous so we will make a backup of the registry first.

Create a System Restore Point

• Click the Start Orb Win7Orb.gif, on the Search box type restore point, on the search results click Create a Restore Point
    SystemRestore.png
    Note: It may take some time for the system to populate the Available Drives box, so be patient.
  • On the Protection Settings box make sure the protection is On for Local Disk (?) (System).
    Your OS drive letter will be shown in place of the ?.
  • Click the Create button at the bottom
  • A System Protection window will open.
  • Type in a name for the restore point, i.e: Before Registry Fix and click Create
  • Please wait until the System Protection window tell you a Restore Point is being created.
  • The System Protection window will then tell you the Restore Point was created successfully. Click Close
  • Click OK.

Modify the System Registry

!!! WARNING !!! The following fix is only relevant for this system and no other, running the script on another computer will not work and may cause problems...

• Download the file  Fix-sbohanan.cmd and save it to the Desktop
  • Right click the file Fix-sbohanan.cmd and click Run As Administrator
  • when the script finish Notepad will open showing the log FixScript.txt saved to the Desktop
  • please Copy & Paste the log into your post

Advertisements

sbohanan

sbohanan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hi,

The steps that I am about to suggest involve modifying the registry. Modifying the registry can be dangerous so we will make a backup of the registry first.

• Click the Start Orb Win7Orb.gif, on the Search box type restore point, on the search results click Create a Restore Point
    SystemRestore.png
    Note: It may take some time for the system to populate the Available Drives box, so be patient.
  • On the Protection Settings box make sure the protection is On for Local Disk (?) (System).
  • Type in a name for the restore point, i.e: Before Registry Fix and click Create
  • Please wait until the System Protection window tell you a Restore Point is being created.
  • The System Protection window will then tell you the Restore Point was created successfully. Click Close
  • Click OK.

!!! WARNING !!! The following fix is only relevant for this system and no other, running the script on another computer will not work and may cause problems...

• when the script finish Notepad will open showing the log FixScript.txt saved to the Desktop

Thank you, SleepyDude.  When I rename the Fix-sbohanan.cmd.txt file to Fix-sbohanan.cmd and I receive the following error:

'whoami' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Thank you, SleepyDude.  When I rename the Fix-sbohanan.cmd.txt file to Fix-sbohanan.cmd and I receive the following error:

Sorry, updated the script to handle that please re-download the file.

sbohanan

sbohanan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hi,

SystemRestore.png
  • Click OK.

EDIT:

I navigated to the C:\Windows\System32 folder and ran the batch file from within that directory.  Here's the results:

:: Fixing PATH...
The operation completed successfully.

New PATH: %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Dell\DW WLAN Card;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Services\IPT;C:\Program Files (x86)\NTRU Cryptosystems\NTRU TCG Software Stack\bin\;C:\Program Files\NTRU Cryptosystems\NTRU TCG Software Stack\bin\;C:\Program Files\Dell\Dell Data Protection\Access\Advanced\Wave\Gemalto\Access Client\v5\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\OEM\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\OEM\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\OEM\12.0\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Roxio\OEM\AudioCore\;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files (x86)\PaloDEx Group\IAM\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\OpenCL SDK\1.1\bin\x86;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\OpenCL SDK\1.1\bin\x64;C:\Program Files (x86)\Dentrix\

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

That move made the script worked :D

Please restart the computer to make sure the changes takes effect.

Let me know the result.

sbohanan

sbohanan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hi,

SystemRestore.png
  • Click OK.

EDIT:

I navigated to the C:\Windows\System32 folder and ran the batch file from within that directory.  Here's the results:

:: Fixing PATH...
The operation completed successfully.

New PATH: %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Dell\DW WLAN Card;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Services\IPT;C:\Program Files (x86)\NTRU Cryptosystems\NTRU TCG Software Stack\bin\;C:\Program Files\NTRU Cryptosystems\NTRU TCG Software Stack\bin\;C:\Program Files\Dell\Dell Data Protection\Access\Advanced\Wave\Gemalto\Access Client\v5\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\OEM\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\OEM\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\OEM\12.0\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Roxio\OEM\AudioCore\;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files (x86)\PaloDEx Group\IAM\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\OpenCL SDK\1.1\bin\x86;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\OpenCL SDK\1.1\bin\x64;C:\Program Files (x86)\Dentrix\

That fixed it.  Thank you so much.  Just because I'm the type to never be satisfied with just getting the problem fixed...What exactly was the problem?