Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC gets power but does nothing (won't boot) (Solved)

• Please log in to reply

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

I was using my computer the other day and walked away.  While AFK it wen't into sleep mode and when I got back it wouldn't come out of sleep, so I powered it down.  Since then it hasn't booted or anything.  Just spins up (rather quietly compared to normal) and does nothing.  No lights on the underside of my mouse/no lights come up on the keyboard.  All the fans inside spin fine.  Here's the specs as far as I can remember them;

Motherboard - ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

CPU - can't remember, but it is Intel

CPU heatsink - Cooler Master Hyper 212+

RAM - 2x sticks of G.SKILL Ripjaw 4gb DDR3-1600

PSU - Corsaid HX 750w

Video Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

HDD - Western Digital 1TB

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Can I ask how you know that all internal fans are working ok as in have you done a visual check, the fact that the computer is quieter than it usually is would normally suggest that a fan was not running, primarily the GPU fan which tends to be the loudest.

If the computer is failing POST it may explain the no lights on the mouse and keyboard.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Yeah it's actually my friends computer, he brought it over and it's on my dining room table.  I opened up the side to check and all the fans are working (except the one on the back).  As for the one that isn't working, I unplugged it from where it was and tried it in the plug that was being used for the door fan, and it worked fine.  He said it sounds a lil' quieter than it normally does, which is why I said that.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Are we talking about the same computer here;

I was using my computer the other day and walked away. 

Try removing the add on video card and using the MBs video port, if no change try removing the Ram, blowing out the slots and reinserting only one stick of Ram while still using the MBs video port.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Yeah it's the same computer, I told him to just type it up since I wasn't around when this happened.  He left it here with me.  I'll go try using 1 stick of RAM.  I already tried moving both sticks into the other slots, and removing the video card.  Neither worked.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

You could do with finding out the exact processor that is in the board as not all CPUs that are compatible with the MB are capable of producing video.

Has your friend been overclocking the computer or flashed the BIOS.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Yeah that also had no effect.  I tried each of the 2 sticks (one at a time) in each of the 4 slots.

He's had the computer for approx 2 years now, with no issues, and has not overclocked any components or flashed the BIOS.

Edit:  I found out what CPU it is (I checked my old order history on Newegg).  It's an Intel Core i5-2500k

Edited by GhostLoad, 30 July 2014 - 01:21 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Do you happen to know if the MB has an onboard BIOS speaker.

So the CPU has integrated Intel graphics.

Trying a known good PSU and then add on video card if possible is recommended.

Check the caps on the MB, some guidance and pictures here

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Unfortunately neither him nor I have any spare parts to try and swap out with.  :/

I have no idea if it has an on-board BIOS speaker.

Inside the case I couldn't smell anything even similar to ammonia, or any burnt smell whatsoever.  Also, all of the capacitors seem fine (no oozing or bulging at the tops).

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Is there nothing we can do to troubleshoot further?

Advertisements

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Any ideas, phillpower2?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Download the manual for the MB and check to see if it has a BIOS speaker, manual from here 

If no onboard speaker consider obtaining one for troubleshooting purposes, see attached;

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Went through the manual, couldn't find any reference to any speaker aside from the ports on the back (I/O).  I guess I have to buy one of those speakers from somewhere like Newegg before we can troubleshoot further?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Having the speaker connected will save you a lot of time and hassle, post back when you have one connected to the MB concerned.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Alright, I'll order one, and let you know when it's here.  Where does it plug in btw?

zb_Asrock_Z68Ext3n3_1.jpg

Edited by GhostLoad, 31 July 2014 - 04:34 PM.