Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC gets power but does nothing (won't boot) (Solved)

• Please log in to reply

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Well they've got a 30 day return policy, with a 15% restocking fee (if you return an opened item that isn't defective) so I might see if my friend just wants to purchase a PSU and we'll see if that is the issue or not.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Well they've got a 30 day return policy, with a 15% restocking fee (if you return an opened item that isn't defective) so I might see if my friend just wants to purchase a PSU and we'll see if that is the issue or not.

Better idea, have your friend take the 20 minute drive or bus ride to TD and have the MB tested with a known good PSU, far less hassle and monetary outlay.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Well I texted him today, looks like we'll take his tower down there Monday when I get off work and have them test what they can.  I'll let you know how to goes once I get back.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thanks and good luck  :thumbsup:

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Well looks like the technicians said it was the MB that was wrong with it.  Gonna have to just get a similar one so that it'll fit all his existing components.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

I think we're going to go with this MB as the replacement;

http://www.tigerdire...6160&CatId=6976

Edit:  Oh and I figured out which CPU was in the rig; Intel Core i5-2500k Quad-Core 3.3GHz.   Just wanna make sure that the MB is compatible with all the components already inside.

Edited by GhostLoad, 12 August 2014 - 01:50 PM.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Well I installed the new MB and plugged everything in, and when I hit the power button on the case.... nothing happens.   :(

Sigh just feeling super frustrated at the moment.

Edited by GhostLoad, 12 August 2014 - 05:10 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

What rotten luck  :(

Well looks like the technicians said it was the MB that was wrong with it.

Can you tell us how this conclusion was arrived at.

A PSU is more prone to failure than a MB followed by either a GPU or the Ram, then the MB and lastly the CPU, this is under normal circumstances and usage and does not allow for overclocking or power spikes/brownouts.

FWIW, as a rule of thumb when building or upgrading major hardware such as the MB you should always do a barebones set-up outside of the case first, this establishes that all components are working before putting them in the case.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
My buddy went to pick it up and he said all they told him was that the MB was bad.

Think it could be a DoA motherboard?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

That is rather vague!

A more appropriate (and convincing) answer to your friend would have been "we tried a known good PSU but without any success, at this point we cannot determine if the MB or CPU (or both) are bad" or "we tried a known good PSU but without any success so tried a known good PSU, Ram and CPU in the MB, we still had no success and so it suggests that your MB has failed".

You are still no closer to identifying the problem as what you have now are a possible bad PSU, a possible DOA replacement MB + a possible bad CPU, unless your friend was really unlucky and did get a bad replacement MB you are left with a bad PSU and/or CPU. 

Advertisements

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

I'm gonna look around for any papers they gave him when he picked it up.  He left it all here (hopefully on the coffee table) so maybe they wrote down more info than what he recalls.  I'll check and let you know in a few minutes.  :(

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Yeeeeeah there's NO info on the paper he was given.  :(  This is so effing frustrating!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Not helpful for you at all  :(

Remove the MB and CPU, inspect the CPU for any bent or missing pins then post back please.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Nope, nothing bent on the CPU nor the slot it goes in.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

While that is a good sign it does not rule it out, it may have previously been fried for example.

Do you still have the new MB out of the case, If yes, connect the BIOS speaker to the MB if it doesn't already have one, remove the Ram and then power up the board, any error beeps.