Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virtual Memory problem

• Please log in to reply

dowsp

dowsp

• PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron 510 M Laptop...with Windows XP Pro.. The Computer could be about 10 yrs old..and I renewed to another  hardrive in the last 12 months...

After I replaced the initial Harddrive after it had been having operating problems, running poorly and slow...if more than a few (maybe 7 to 12 webpages or more depending what they were) webpages ..and scrolling, or freezing or long time opening pages (EggTIMER showing ) often could be a problem on certain websites if too many pages were open..or other programs were being used or open. until eventually the drive packed in working...(I had managed to make a copy of most of my files on an external drive before it did)

I am using IE 8  and Google Chrome Bowser.

Initially...I have had some slow or poor operating issues with my Computer and have had someone help me look into them...

After going through various checks , tests and AV programs etc..We could not find anything serious effecting the Computer after we did eliminate a few found minor viruses and malware..but it was since thought that I was malware free..

It was suggested that I need more RAM... 

When the Hardrive got replaced.. it was twice as big as the initial drive. The person who replaced it did try to add more Ram, but they found that when they tried that the computer would not operate ...and later said that they had to leave the origional sized RAM on the machine..

What I have seen previously both with the previous harddrive and with this present one..is that I get messages saying that my Virtual Memory is too low..but the message does suggest that the system will automatically increase it...

There was information on how to increase the VM..and at one time I thought that I had altered it as large as was possible...

But that does not seem to have solved the issue..as I keep getting the message come up that VM is too low when my computer starts to run slow or freeze  up if I am running too many webpages or programs etc..

I wonder if someone could offer any further guidance on what the problem maybe and if it can be resolved just with the present sized RAM....and 80 GB Harddrive...

Thank you

Dowsp 

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hello Dowsp ,

As far as I can tell.....

You're not going to resolve the problem with the original amount of ram installed on a Dell Inspiron 510 M Laptop . You're going to need to add more ram. That machine when new comes pre-installed ram of 256MB and possibly as low as 128MB. Neither amount is sufficient for today's internet, and you will be bothered by all the symptoms you have just described, there is no work around to resolve any of those issues you described.

The person who replaced it did try to add more Ram, but they found that when they tried that the computer would not operate ...and later said that they had to leave the origional sized RAM on the machine..

Then you will need to get another person to install new ram, it's possible that person had the wrong type maybe a left over he / she had.

You can scan for RAM information Here. This will tell you the type you need and more.

Lets take a look at the amount of ram installed to be sure.

Please download MiniToolBox http://download.blee...MiniToolBox.exe and run it.

Checkmark following boxes:
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size

Click Go and post the result.

Thanks
    Joe :)

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your comments.

So I take it that to increase ones virtual memory that more RAM is required.

On my previous initial hardrive...It worked quite well until I obtained a very serious virus that seemed to be the downfall 

of it over the next few years after until it stopped working....even though I did get some help to try to remove the virus...

it was never the same since...

That was only a 40 GB hardrive..

The one I have now is twice the size at 80 GB...but the ram has remained the same from what I thought I was told.

I think it had two 256 MB boards to make it about 512 MB of Ram... Unless it had only been 256 MB in total originally and more was added when the person who renewed my Hardrive had added more RAM....I recall him trying to add more and telling me that it would not operate with what ever he put in.(.He may have tried to add two 512 MBs  (1024 MB total ))    .and I thought that he had replaced the original back in the machine.

It May had been that he just did not have the correct replacement...but it is interesting if you are saying that I should be able to add more Ram....I THINK that I was told by someone that that particular model...could not be increased for some reason..

It may be if you double the Hardrive that maybe that the RAM should also be doubled...

This is the info that you asked me to post...

Cheers

Dowsp

===================================================

MiniToolBox by Farbar  Version: 21-07-2014
Ran by Administrator (administrator) on 01-08-2014 at 02:18:30
Running from "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Downloads"
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (X86)
Boot Mode: Normal

=========================== Installed Programs ============================
Adobe Flash Player 14 ActiveX (HKLM\...\Adobe Flash Player ActiveX) (Version: 14.0.0.145 - Adobe Systems Incorporated)
Adobe Reader XI (11.0.07) (HKLM\...\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-AB0000000001}) (Version: 11.0.07 - Adobe Systems Incorporated)
ALPS Touch Pad Driver (HKLM\...\{9F72EF8B-AEC9-4CA5-B483-143980AFD6FD}) (Version: 7.6.2020.204 - Alps Electric)
Citrix Online Launcher (HKLM\...\{3E7E6F1E-7376-475A-8BC9-E3126B20CF5F}) (Version: 1.0.198 - Citrix)
C-Major Audio (HKLM\...\{A462213D-EED4-42C2-9A60-7BDD4D4B0B17}) (Version: 42xx - SigmaTel)
Conexant D480 MDC V.92 Modem (HKLM\...\CNXT_MODEM_PCI_VEN_8086&DEV_24x6&SUBSYS_542214F1) (Version:  - )
Dell Photo AIO Printer 922 (HKLM\...\Dell Photo AIO Printer 922) (Version:  - )
DriverIdentifier 4.2.7 (HKLM\...\{40A3E5DB-5EF8-4F04-BF3E-7AB87C4AE85A}_is1) (Version:  - DriverIdentifier)
Google Chrome (HKLM\...\Google Chrome) (Version: 36.0.1985.125 - Google Inc.)
Google Earth (HKLM\...\{4D2A6330-2F8B-11E3-9C40-B8AC6F97B88E}) (Version: 7.1.2.2041 - Google)
Google Update Helper (Version: 1.3.24.15 - Google Inc.) Hidden
GoToMeeting 6.3.0.1468 (HKCU\...\GoToMeeting) (Version: 6.3.0.1468 - CitrixOnline)
Intel® Extreme Graphics 2 Driver (HKLM\...\{8A708DD8-A5E6-11D4-A706-000629E95E20}) (Version: 6.14.10.4396 - )
Intel® Network Connections Drivers (HKLM\...\PROSet) (Version:  - )
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 2.0.2.1012 (HKLM\...\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware_is1) (Version: 2.0.2.1012 - Malwarebytes Corporation)
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (HKLM\...\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile) (Version: 4.0.30320 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (Version: 4.0.30320 - Microsoft Corporation) Hidden
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended (HKLM\...\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended) (Version: 4.0.30320 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended (Version: 4.0.30320 - Microsoft Corporation) Hidden
Microsoft Kernel-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack 1.9 (Version:  - Microsoft Corporation) Hidden
Microsoft User-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack 1.0 (HKLM\...\Wudf01000) (Version:  - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010  x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219 (HKLM\...\{F0C3E5D1-1ADE-321E-8167-68EF0DE699A5}) (Version: 10.0.40219 - Microsoft Corporation)
Samsung Kies (HKLM\...\InstallShield_{758C8301-2696-4855-AF45-534B1200980A}) (Version: 2.6.2.14014_5 - Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.)
Samsung Kies (Version: 2.6.2.14014_5 - Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.) Hidden
SAMSUNG USB Driver for Mobile Phones (HKLM\...\{D0795B21-0CDA-4a92-AB9E-6E92D8111E44}) (Version: 1.5.34.0 - SAMSUNG Electronics Co., Ltd.)
Skype™ 6.16 (HKLM\...\{7A3C7E05-EE37-47D6-99E1-2EB05A3DA3F7}) (Version: 6.16.105 - Skype Technologies S.A.)
Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB2598845) (HKLM\...\KB2598845-IE8) (Version: 1 - Microsoft Corporation)
Update for Windows XP (KB2345886) (HKLM\...\KB2345886) (Version: 1 - Microsoft Corporation)
Update for Windows XP (KB2467659) (HKLM\...\KB2467659) (Version: 1 - Microsoft Corporation)
Update for Windows XP (KB2749655) (HKLM\...\KB2749655) (Version: 1 - Microsoft Corporation)
Update for Windows XP (KB2904266) (HKLM\...\KB2904266) (Version: 1 - Microsoft Corporation)
Update for Windows XP (KB2934207) (HKLM\...\KB2934207) (Version: 1 - Microsoft Corporation)
Update for Windows XP (KB898461) (HKLM\...\KB898461) (Version: 1 - Microsoft Corporation)
Update for Windows XP (KB951978) (HKLM\...\KB951978) (Version: 1 - Microsoft Corporation)
Update for Windows XP (KB955759) (HKLM\...\KB955759) (Version: 1 - Microsoft Corporation)
Update for Windows XP (KB968389) (HKLM\...\KB968389) (Version: 1 - Microsoft Corporation)
Update for Windows XP (KB971029) (HKLM\...\KB971029) (Version: 1 - Microsoft Corporation)
Update for Windows XP (KB973815) (HKLM\...\KB973815) (Version: 1 - Microsoft Corporation)
WebFldrs XP (Version: 9.50.7523 - Microsoft Corporation) Hidden
Windows Internet Explorer 8 (HKLM\...\ie8) (Version: 20090308.140743 - Microsoft Corporation)
Windows Media Format 11 runtime (HKLM\...\Windows Media Format Runtime) (Version:  - )
Windows Media Format 11 runtime (Version:  - Microsoft Corporation) Hidden

========================= Memory info: ===================================

Percentage of memory in use: 92%
Total physical RAM: 510.21 MB
Available physical RAM: 40.61 MB
Total Pagefile: 2009.88 MB
Available Pagefile: 1049.33 MB
Total Virtual: 2047.88 MB
Available Virtual: 1982.98 MB

========================= Partitions: =====================================

1 Drive c: () (Fixed) (Total:74.53 GB) (Free:56.08 GB) NTFS

========================= Users: ========================================

User accounts for \\NBS-30B3685D369

Administrator            ASPNET                   Guest                    
HelpAssistant            SUPPORT_388945a0         

**** End of log ****

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hello,

I think it had two 256 MB boards to make it about 512 MB of Ram.

Looks like you're correct on that. Your machine has 512MB OF RAM, so there is probably 2 sticks of 256MB installed, according to the log report. Still not enough to do anything without issues, specifically the ones you're describing..

I would upgrade your memory RAM to the maximum it allows, which for the Dell Inspiron 510m laptop is up-to 2.0 GB.

I would get 2 1GB Modules and install them, take the old ram out. The best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules.

This is the ram type you will need Specification:200 Pin 2.5v DDR PC333 SoDimm. The link to crucial should verify that.

By doing this you will see a huge increase in performance, the computer will work much better. Adding more ram is the most cost effective thing you can do to increase overall computer performance...

Add the ram and see if any issues remain.

Thanks
Joe :)

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
Thks for info joe,

since your last reply, I have just had what seems like a major problem..

my laptop crashed and when I restart it after it is reswitched on..
.it loads to the option page that gives some details to explain it crashed...
that also alows me to select safemode...when I try to either continue to load
windows or safemode, it restarts again and goes back to same page...
I am not able to do anything with it at all...other than repeat the same process..

as I cannot start the laptio I am unable to get to any virus checker...or get to a prior
Restart point...

id nee d an external AV disc as I see it as my only chance unless you can advise
another option...

id only opened what seemed ok webpages wh3n it hapened

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
How old is this computer ?

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
I have had it maybe since 2005..could be 8 to 9 yrs...

it now seems in a loop of starting to crashing and going into the error and options to
restart or go into safe mode...

I was able to also select F 12..where it offered a diagonostic check thati selected..
But it did not resolve the problem or detect it..

hope its not the new latest virus that may not yet have a cure...

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
I have had it maybe since 2005..could be 8 to 9 yrs...

it now seems in a loop of starting to crashing and going into the error and options to
restart or go into safe mode...

I was able to also select F 12..where it offered a diagonostic check thati selected..
But it did not resolve the problem or detect it..

hope its not the new latest virus that may not yet have a cure...

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

my laptop crashed and when I restart it after it is reswitched on..
.it loads to the option page that gives some details to explain it crashed...

And do you have those details? Is it a blue screen?

Also your dealing with an old machine there.....

Joe

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
It goes to a black background page with white writing very soon after the windows xp logo
shows on the screen..and the dell page has shown...
it says windoes did not start sucessfully, a recent hsrdware or software problem may hsvè causef it.

if your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly or was auto shut down to protect folder filres etc..choose last known
good configureation to revert to recent settngs that worked.

It then says if I dont knoe what csused problem to choose an option to stsrt windows normslly.

It then gives 4 to 5 options to select..

safe mode

safe mode neteork
safemode with command prompt
Last known good configuration.. the most recent settings thst workef.

start eindows normslly

I tried selecting all and none work
I think this is a standard message on all windows machines.

Advertisements

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
Sorry, when I select safemode..it takes me to what looks like a list
of partion files for windows system 32 driver files just for a few secs.
then back to the same loop..

I can select F2 AND G3T TO BIOS..BUT CANOT SELCT MUCH ON A BLUE BACKGROUND PAGE.

WITH F12.. I GET OPTON TO SELECT INTERNAL HDD
CD DVD
CARDBUS NIC
ONBOARD NIC
DIAGNOSTICS

SELECTING ANY OTHER THAN DIAGNOSTICS DOES NOTHING OTHER THAN BACK TO LOOP.

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
If I select F 2 I can get to biis and by using alt p ..I can select upto 7 pages..

but I see nothing to help me solve problem like reset to last good config settings etc

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
When you replaced the hard drive, how did you install the operating system ?

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
I had a computer shop replace it for me...and the operating system
came alrrady installed..they had included it...They may have given me a boot disc
and if I recall they said it contained windows xp..

At the moment, I cannot find it..

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hello dowsp,

I think the best option is to take it in and have it looked at, or try and up grade to a newer (used Laptop) if possible. Not being able to get into safemode and no disk is difficult. You could have more ram added at that time also.

Joe