Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Change Directory Server

• Please log in to reply

timdemaray

timdemaray

• Pip
  • 3 posts

So I'm relatively new when it comes to working with servers, and I'm going through the MP 70-640 exam training kit. I came to this one lab where I need to transfer an Operations Master Role. I have a server(Server01) that runs ADDS and is a domain controller, and I have another server (Server02) that is also running ADDS and is joined to the domain. It tells me to right-click the domain and choose "change domain controller" and select Server02 on the "Change Directory Server" dialog box. The problem is Server02 doesn't show up. I try to type it in manually but it says the status is unavailable. Maybe this is an easy fix, or I'm overlooking something, but can anyone help me out or have an idea what I'm doing wrong? I am also using VMWare for my virtual network.

Thanks!

Advertisements

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

Are you doing this operation on server02 or 01? If on server02 it will not let you select itself.

Also double check DNS is functioning properly between the servers as that can cause strange issues.

timdemaray

timdemaray

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I am performing the operation on SERVER01. I am starting to think it is a DNS issue as well. I appreciate the help.

Edited by timdemaray, 31 July 2014 - 05:10 PM.